Does drinking diet drinks during a fast ruin the fast?

Never fasted a day in my life. But if you drink a 0 calorie drink i think your still tehnically fasting in the sence you getting no nutrients

Why would you have diet drinks at all, ever?
I would assume if it has calories than yes, you would be better served fasting with coffee, tea, or water.

you'd need to define ruin first
I'm sorry i'm asking like if they would stop the fast. Sorry if my question doesn't make any sense i'm 16 and have only been working out for 2 years so far bro.

I'm sorry i'm asking like if they would stop the fast. Sorry if my question doesn't make any sense i'm 16 and have only been working out for 2 years so far bro.
I'm sorry too. You need to do some work so as to get to the point where you can ask the right question. IOW you have to understand enough about how it works and what your goals are to define what stop the fast even means. I'm not sure that anyone here will spoonfeed you everything you need, it's a complex subject.

I will give you this though, some diet drinks have the potential to alter the course of certain processes that are happening in your body as a result of fasting.

PS I agree with the comments above questioning why you are fasting. To me whatever perceived benefits of fasting you could receive are far, far outweighed by what should be IMO your desperate need to gain muscle mass at this point.

I appreciate the advice everyone. I don't really fast often anyways and when I do it's usually if I ate too much the day before and I kinda want to get rid of that bloating feeling. I've been trying to gain size guys but it's hard.

At this age everything in your body is running at 110% efficiency. Everyone is right, you need to focus on eating more if you're trying to gain muscle. Fasting and time restricted eating are going to make that a lot harder.

Wait to fast until you hit college and the hangovers keep you from eating.

At this age everything in your body is running at 110% efficiency. Everyone is right, you need to focus on eating more if you're trying to gain muscle. Fasting and time restricted eating are going to make that a lot harder.

Wait to fast until you hit college and the hangovers keep you from eating.
Thank you bro.

Fasting is for fat people, hippies who like to starve, and religious people during Ramadan.

At your age I wouldn't be actively trying to fast, especially if your goal is gaining mass.

If you feel bloated from overeating I'd try to incorporate larger portions of fruits and vegetables to help provide fiber and break everything down. Herbs and spices like cilantro, fennel, and cardamom can help to reduce bloating while flavoring food. Ask yourself what you were overeating that left you feeling bloated, was it protein and vegetables? Huge servings of starch? Junk food? Protein shakes?

If you're having a hard time getting enough calories in, focus on eating smaller but more frequent meals.

Also realize that bulking naturally takes time, and between 16 and 26 years of age you'll probably gain weight whether you're trying or not.

Now to answer the actual question, even though it's not relevant to you (cause you shouldn't be fasting as a 16 year old who is trying to gain weight), in theory it should not have an effect but there is some limited evidence that low glycemic index sweeteners may have effects on our metabolism because the taste buds are not the only part of our body that perceives the compounds in these sweeteners as sugar.

These drinks are popular because people like sweet drinks. It doesn't matter too much to your metabolism now, but as you age being reliant on sweetened beverages is a big problem for many people in the broader population.

Get used to drinking plain water, it's a good life habit. Beverages do not need to be sweet.

If bloating is still a concern then look up Stan Efferding's Vertical Diet. Big focus on nutrient dense foods that are low in fermentable sugars/fiber to mitigate GI distress when you're trying to eat enough to gain size.

Last edited:
Back