Does Prime Rockhold beat Strickland?

Theynevergoeasy

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I’m talking about fit, cardio, 31 year old prime peak of masculinity Luke Rockhold that fought Weidman. If he were to go toe to toe with Strickland, how would it end up? Luke with kicks from the outside and a sub from a scramble or Strickland find the infamous Rockhold chin?

discuss

I’m talking about fit, cardio, 31 year old prime peak of masculinity Luke Rockhold that fought Weidman. If he were to go toe to toe with Strickland, how would it end up? Luke with kicks from the outside and a sub from a scramble or Strickland find the infamous Rockhold chin?

discuss

That Luke still gassed in a round didn't he?

He's gotta a pretty solid chance IMO.
Rockhold was a beast back then, but Sean's got the style to crack through those defensive holes for sure.

Overall Strickland is solid, but we really haven't seen much of his wrestling and ground game tested at middleweight. It's really difficult to give a fair assessment outside of training stories and the Usman bout which was years ago in his welterweight days.

If Usmans tda and cardio abuse made him go turtle mode Imagine what a prime Rockhold could do.

- Usman has 3 times the cardio Rockhold had.
- Usman had good takedowns, Rockhold doesn't.
1 Machida slipped
2 Weidman failed with his roundhouse kick.
3 Bisping got headbutted and headkicked.
- Wasn't prime Strickland
- Rockhold gassed in the 2nd against Weidman

Strickland wins via cardio and finds that chin on a tired Rockhold. 8/10
Rockhold gets it on the ground via something random 2/10

Strikeforce Luke can compete with Anderson in that time period, imo. Strickland will be a cakewalk as Luke can kick/fight forward unlike Izzy.
Rockhold would get destroyed by Silva. His chin is garbage and his defense is shit. Silva highlight reels him. Strickland had a better chance against prime Silva than Luke does.

Lol of course, Strickland has had one outstanding performance, he is a lower top ten fighter if we are really honest. Time will tell though, maybe I'm wrong. I take nothing away from him though, he is the champ and how could you not like the guy

I don't think we know exactly how good Strickland is. He really put it together his last two fights.
Did he really move up to the next level, or was the Izzy fight a little flukish?
I know its not a perfect comparison, but remember Serra and the Vixen over Nunes.

I think that's a really good fight, I think people are still underestimating Strickland. Luke has a solid groundgame but I do believe anyone who thinks he will just go through Sean on the ground is mistaken, dude never ever lost to submission and I think only Usman is the only guy that truly got the better of him there. Sean is very hard to finish and has massive great cardio, so I could see Sean with the late finish too. It's really too bad the fight fell out.

Back