Does the "Today's worst NBA team beats 90s Bulls" Theory work in MMA ?

Tai fn Tuivasa couldn't even beat a soul-stripped, chin cracked, JDS.

Cain would've shoved that shoe

Tai was artificially overranked for years. They liked his shoe shtik and built up other fighters resumes with him. Like who did he beat besides Derick.

Most of the divisions in mma haven't moved much sice 2008. I would actually say that it regressed after USADA for a little while

Last edited:
Man I wish I was so blessed to be dominant at something but I hate the idea of just not really caring about it. But you see that so much in sports. Why they have the phrase, hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard. But that’s only true to a point. Especially when you’re born with certain physical advantages. One of my kids is so good at so many things and yet he’s great at nothing. And boy that can drive me crazy. Shaq had no choice but to be great at basketball whether he wanted to or not. Such a wild thought. Just imagine if he had the passion to be great as well.

Someone, maybe Phil Jackson, once said, “Shaq is the greatest underachiever in the history of professional sports,” which is a crazy thing to think about considering he won 4 titles, league MVP, Finals MVP and was arguably the most physically dominant player that the sport has ever seen. His larger than life, big kid persona often plays clouds the fact that he was a literal one in a billion athlete; possibly one in two billion, honestly, and if you disagree show me another human being with that height and mass who could move the way that he did without breaking.

Someone, maybe Phil Jackson, once said, “Shaq is the greatest underachiever in the history of professional sports,” which is a crazy thing to think about considering he won 4 titles, league MVP, Finals MVP and was arguably the most physically dominant player that the sport has ever seen. His larger than life, big kid persona often plays clouds the fact that he was a literal one in a billion athlete; possibly one in two billion, honestly, and if you disagree show me another human being with that height and mass who could move the way that he did without breaking.

He was amazing. Honestly, the only comparison is Wilt. And Wilt was WAY ahead of time/competition.

If Jordan was playing with today's rules he would probably average over 40 points a game.

I don't want to turn your thread into a basketball debate, but the 90's Bulls could beat any team today..
Jordan today is DeMar DeRozan. Jordan benefited from playing in a weak expansion era, with weak skilled players, and illegal help defense.

I would say that MMA as a newer sport has evolved more rapidly due to the integration of fighters being well versed in all aspects of MMA compared to the early UFC days where a lot of fighters were 1 dimensional. But that would be fighters in the 90s and early 2000s. I do not believe Tito Ortiz would be a top 5 LHW today, even in his prime.
I think Tito would be a top 5 fighter at LHW right now mainly because none of these guys can wrestle

Today's best NBA teams get beat silly and carted off the court against any respectable 90s team.

Basketball foul rules have become WAY softer.

By your statement, the 90's team will get in foul trouble by half time and all their starters would be riding the bench most of the game while the current team will be hitting 3's and taking 50 FTs in the game and win by 20.

But of course, if playing by 90's rules, the 90's team would dominate.

If both teams get to have say 9 months to practice by the other era's rules, well, it's debatable though I'd lean toward today's teams purely by statistics and modern advances. It's an international sport now and world's population has increased along with nutrition and training. With preparation for the other set of rules, I'd go with today's team winning.

Michael Jordan is the only player in NBA history to win the NBA's scoring title, regular-season MVP, the NBA championship, Finals MVP, and make an NBA All-Defensive team in the same season.

And he did it 4 times.

Gtfoh

IMHO This is a far more intriguing question than many perceive...

I'd say that it would be about 50-50.
Mostly because even the #15 ranked would be far more well rounded than their opponents from the past.
But it would also depend on what set of rules they'd play. After all, rules back in the day allowed many things that fighters of today don't have to deal with; and I don't know how they would fare (i.e. taking a soccer kick to the head)... case in point:

Aljamain Sterling has knee-jerk reaction for championship haters: 'Screw  you' - MMAmania.com

You absolutely have a point, but the perimeter players of today would be hell for any era. The size of these guys is crazy. Jordan is still probably the greatest player ever, but Lebron, Giannis, and Kevin Durant would give him all he could handle. Jordan was a dominant 6-6 guard in his time. Lebron is the size of Karl Malone with Magic Johnson skill. Giannis and Kevin are 6-11, 7 footers. Ain’t blocking their shots unless they are in the lane.

Jordan just took your post personal.

giphy-40-1589810118.gif

Today's worst NBA team would get absolutely clobbered by the 90s Bulls. Nobody plays defense anymore, and the Bulls had plenty of that.

By your statement, the 90's team will get in foul trouble by half time and all their starters would be riding the bench most of the game while the current team will be hitting 3's and taking 50 FTs in the game and win by 20.

But of course, if playing by 90's rules, the 90's team would dominate.

If both teams get to have say 9 months to practice by the other era's rules, well, it's debatable though I'd lean toward today's teams purely by statistics and modern advances. It's an international sport now and world's population has increased along with nutrition and training. With preparation for the other set of rules, I'd go with today's team winning.
This was mostly a joke that a lot of you turds took way too seriously, aimed at just generally highlighting the vast difference in foul rules and general physicality of the game then, versus now.

Last edited:
This was mostly a joke that a lot of your turds took way too seriously, aimed at just generally highlighting the vast difference in foul rules and general physicality of the game then, versus now.

It's a classic fantasy matchup discussion among fans. Much like P4P rating. It's just a theoretical fun exercise using logic and propositions.

Michael Jordan is the only player in NBA history to win the NBA's scoring title, regular-season MVP, the NBA championship, Finals MVP, and make an NBA All-Defensive team in the same season.

And he did it 4 times.

Gtfoh

When you’re playing against Craig Ehlo and Dan Majerle that will happen…just like Wilt averaged 50 against who??? Not saying they aren’t great players just get a grip on reality…

Back