Elections Donald Trump opposes banning TikTok; to hurt Facebook and prevent Biden from getting a win

facebook is more intrusive than tiktok, address social media in general, isolating a single entity is questionable
The big difference between FB and TikTok is that the later is Chinese owned and presumed to be a tool of the CCP that is being using to influence Americans. This is why the gov. is particularly focused on TikTok and not FB.

If FB was Russian owned, and there was strong evidence the algorithm was negatively influencing Americas, the US gov. would go after it with more urgency and action than their efforts against TikTok. Actually...even if there was no evidence FB was negatively influencing Americans, the mere fact it was Russian owned would have the US gov. coming down on it.

Last edited:
I don’t like the app and I don’t mind if it got banned. A few months ago I cringed at the clips of that senator asking that dude from Singapore if he is a Chinese citizen or part of the CCP.

It doesn't ban tik tok. If you're going to ban it then ban it, and ban the other social media apps while you're at it.

Either make a bill that criminalizes abuse of user data or transfer to any foreign country, or STFU. Whoa, look out, you force the sale of a shitty app to some other billionaire who then sells the data to China anyway just like airbnb and Facebook already do.

Indeed but they have shares in Facebook so it won’t happen

A few things...

1: They aren't banning tik tok, they're forcing the CCP lapdog owners to sell. If they choose NOT to, then they are out. Granted, the Bytedance CEO has essentially sold they won't (likely with a gun to his head off screen) but it's still not a ban. Especially since they will just add a download link to let you side load the app and bypass the app store.

2: They government doesn't give a flying duck fart about all the actual issues that social media causes. They only care about two things in this case: China collecting the data instead of them, and that there is no way to control the narrative about the war in Gaza on the platform. That's it, end of line.

3: I don't use the app, so I really have no dog in this fight. I'm just calling it as I see it. But it does make me laugh that millions of lunatics are having meltdowns because GOD FORBID they cant use a social media site. Go outside and fucking touch the grass you worthless twats.

I don't have a problem with Tictok being banned, but I heard the bill will give the government authority to take down any media platform they view as a threat. If thats the case, progressives and shitlibs will try to use it to censor any opinion they don't like.

Should put a big firewall, blocking ALL data to/from China. But we all know who our daddy is.........

A few things...

1: They aren't banning tik tok, they're forcing the CCP lapdog owners to sell. If they choose NOT to, then they are out. Granted, the Bytedance CEO has essentially sold they won't (likely with a gun to his head off screen) but it's still not a ban. Especially since they will just add a download link to let you side load the app and bypass the app store.

2: They government doesn't give a flying duck fart about all the actual issues that social media causes. They only care about two things in this case: China collecting the data instead of them, and that there is no way to control the narrative about the war in Gaza on the platform. That's it, end of line.

3: I don't use the app, so I really have no dog in this fight. I'm just calling it as I see it. But it does make me laugh that millions of lunatics are having meltdowns because GOD FORBID they cant use a social media site. Go outside and fucking touch the grass you worthless twats.
The spokesman for TikTok calls it a ban. The company calls it (the Bill) a ban.

Alex Haurek, a spokesman for TikTok, said in a statement that the House “process was secret and the bill was jammed through for one reason: It’s a ban.”

In an unusually aggressive move for a technology company, TikTok urged users to call their representatives last week to protest the bill, saying, “This legislation has a predetermined outcome: a total ban of TikTok in the United States.”

--

If it passes , the legislation will force US website hosting providers to remove TikTok.

If the company cannot sell the app in that time, it will become illegal for app stores and web-hosting companies to offer TikTok, as long as it remains under the control of a "foreign adversary."

I don't have a problem with Tictok being banned, but I heard the bill will give the government authority to take down any media platform they view as a threat. If thats the case, progressives and shitlibs will try to use it to censor any opinion they don't like.

So why is it that far more Dems than Republicans voted against the Bill. The Dems cited 1st amendment concerns.

Who voted for the bill: The House vote was 352 to 65, with 50 Democrats and 15 Republicans voting in opposition.

--

Several Republicans and Democrats expressed their opposition to the bill based on free speech concerns and TikTok’s popularity in the United States. Some legal experts have said that if the bill were to become law, it would probably face First Amendment scrutiny in the courts

--

The bill faces a difficult road to passage in the Senate, where Senator Chuck Schumer, Democrat of New York and the majority leader, has been noncommittal about bringing it to the floor for a vote and where some lawmakers have vowed to fight it. And even if it passes the Senate and becomes law, it is likely to face legal challenges.

President Biden has said he would sign the bill into law, but top House leaders like Representative Katherine Clark of Massachusetts, the No. 2 Democrat in the House, voted against the bill

Representative Maxwell Frost, a Democrat of Florida, said on Tuesday that “not only am I no, but I’m a hell no.” He said the legislation was an infringement of First Amendment rights.

--

You know that when Trump was in office he tried to ban TikTok, so why aren't you saying he was trying to censor opinions he didn't like.

Yup just like how they weaponized facebook censorship last election cycle.

Indeed but they have shares in Facebook so it won’t happen
Facebook lobbyists are the ones writing the bills. In fact lobbyists are the ones writing all the bills, which is why they have to throw around phrases like "don't let perfect be the enemy of the good", because all their bills are full of exemptions carve outs and giveaways for their buddies. There were even lobbyists for the lobbying industry who lobbied for bailouts for lobbyists during covid, because they said congress wouldn't know how to write bills without them.

A few things...

The renewed push is mostly because of Israel. A platform that opposes the greatest ally cannot be allowed to survive.

I don’t like the app and I don’t mind if it got banned. A few months ago I cringed at the clips of that senator asking that dude from Singapore if he is a Chinese citizen or part of the CCP.

king-of-the-hill-kahn.png

So why is it that far more Dems than Republicans voted against the Bill. The Dems cited 1st amendment concerns.

Who voted for the bill: The House vote was 352 to 65, with 50 Democrats and 15 Republicans voting in opposition.

--

Several Republicans and Democrats expressed their opposition to the bill based on free speech concerns and TikTok’s popularity in the United States. Some legal experts have said that if the bill were to become law, it would probably face First Amendment scrutiny in the courts

--

The bill faces a difficult road to passage in the Senate, where Senator Chuck Schumer, Democrat of New York and the majority leader, has been noncommittal about bringing it to the floor for a vote and where some lawmakers have vowed to fight it. And even if it passes the Senate and becomes law, it is likely to face legal challenges.

President Biden has said he would sign the bill into law, but top House leaders like Representative Katherine Clark of Massachusetts, the No. 2 Democrat in the House, voted against the bill

Representative Maxwell Frost, a Democrat of Florida, said on Tuesday that “not only am I no, but I’m a hell no.” He said the legislation was an infringement of First Amendment rights.

--

You know that when Trump was in office he tried to ban TikTok, so why aren't you saying he was trying to censor opinions he didn't like.
If what I'm saying is wrong then why do democrats constantly try to pressure social media to take down speech they don't like?

It's so weird seeing everyone just completely flip their morals around on something like this. Tik Tok is cancer. People should put it out of their lives. But banning it isn't just stupid and immoral, it's bound to fail.

The only reason our Government cares about this is, as someone already pointed out, the fact that they can't control the data the way China does, and they're unable to control the flow of information regarding certain topics, Gaza being the most pertinent example right now

If what I'm saying is wrong then why do democrats constantly try to pressure social media to take down speech they don't like?

I need some examples of the Dems trying to use the power of gov. to take down speech because I have never read of such a case.

It could be true but I really haven't seen it in the news.

I need some examples of the Dems trying to use the power of gov. to take down speech because I have never read of such a case.

It could be true but I really haven't seen it in the news.
Its been widely discussed on this site.

It's so weird seeing everyone just completely flip their morals around on something like this. Tik Tok is cancer. People should put it out of their lives. But banning it isn't just stupid and immoral, it's bound to fail.

The only reason our Government cares about this is, as someone already pointed out, the fact that they can't control the data the way China does, and they're unable to control the flow of information regarding certain topics, Gaza being the most pertinent example right now

Some of the articles I read say that this new impetus to ban TikTok is partly related to the Hamas-Israel war and also the Bin Laden video going viral. China has been critical of Israel and TikTok features videos not favorable to Israel.

The UK conservative government tried to trash freedom of assembly and expression when the pro Palestine protests took place. It seems that some Western government ignored democratic ideals and took a hard stance against Free Speech after the Gaza war, because they want to clamp down on pro Palestine protests.

That's not to say that banning TikTok is mostly because of the Gaza war because the US gov (under Trump) tried to ban it, long before the Gaza war and both Dems and Repubs support this Bill. Leaving aside Gaza, there are very good reasons to come down hard on TikTok.

TikTok's algorithm is deliberatel designed to cause division and push stupid shit on Americans. As others have noted, in China, TikTok (Douyin) pushes educational and positive videos to young folks, especially girls. In America it pushes moronic shit, vain crap, stuff that negatively affects a young girl's self esteem etc..

Some of the articles I read say that this new impetus to ban TikTok is partly related to the Hamas-Israel war and also the Bin Laden video going viral. China has been critical of Israel and TikTok features videos not favorable to Israel.

The UK conservative government tried to trash freedom of assembly and expression when the pro Palestine protests took place. It seems that some Western government ignored democratic ideals and took a hard stance against Free Speech after the Gaza war, because they want to clamp down on pro Palestine protests.

That's not to say that banning TikTok is mostly because of the Gaza war because the US gov (under Trump) tried to ban it, long before the Gaza war and both Dems and Repubs support this Bill. Leaving aside Gaza, there are very good reasons to come down hard on TikTok.

TikTok's algorithm is deliberatel designed to cause division and push stupid shit on Americans. As others have noted, in China, TikTok (Douyin) pushes educational and positive videos to young folks, especially girls. In America it pushes moronic shit, vain crap, stuff that negatively affects a young girl's self esteem etc..
I'm sure there's tons of reasons to ban it of which I'm ignorant or not taking account, but the one thing I'm certain of is that it's not because the government cares about American youth, or how social media affects them

I'm sure there's tons of reasons to ban it of which I'm ignorant or not taking account, but the one thing I'm certain of is that it's not because the government cares about American youth, or how social media affects them
A big reason is that it is Chinese owned. The gov would be doing worse if it was Russian owned. If it was Israeli, Saudi, Emirati or British owned there wouldn't such pushback.

It comes down to the fact that China sees the US as its #1 enemy and is doing what it can to undermine US influence and power.

Back