Television Double language shows.

Back in the old Southwest wrestling territory outta San Antone, they would broadcast in Spanish and English at the same time!
There would be two announcers talking simultaneously in two different languages for the English and Spanish speaking fans at home, that took some getting used to lol
On the same frequency?

Good God why?

That sounds like an assault on your brain.

There seems to be a new trend with shows like '3 body problem' and 'Shogun' going back and forth between English and another language showing subtitles.

I don't want to look down and read subtitles while watching a show. Especially when they're unexpected.

Does this annoy anyone else? If you're going to make a show make it one language or another IMO.
With the technology available today viewers should be able to chose which they want.

I've gotten accustomed to subtitles as many shows will have fucked up sound with music or other sound effects making it difficult to hear and I'm old so my hearing isn't so good through certain frequencies. I've watched some British TV shows and use the caption a lot but it doesn't always help because the captions don't make sense either.

What really annoys me is documentaries where they have a person start speaking one language then go to a translation with the original person still speaking in the background.

Nah I don't mind, whether one language or switching back and forth. In fact I was annoyed that the Portuguese in Shogun was English. But I also like language and get bored hearing everything in English.

There seems to be a new trend with shows like '3 body problem' and 'Shogun' going back and forth between English and another language showing subtitles.

I don't want to look down and read subtitles while watching a show. Especially when they're unexpected.

Does this annoy anyone else? If you're going to make a show make it one language or another IMO.
Nothing will ever top this:

Nah I don't mind, whether one language or switching back and forth. In fact I was annoyed that the Portuguese in Shogun was English. But I also like language and get bored hearing everything in English.
I wanted my porra caralho in shogun, tbh.

'3 body problem'
What other language was spoken in that? And when? I do even remember.

But I would much rather have another language with subtitles than that shit where they just speak English but with a German accent, or a Japanese accent, or Spanish accent, or in the case of Sean Connery in The Hunt for Red October, a Scottish accent when he’s supposed to be Lithuanian.

And I would definitely much rather have the original audio with subtitles rather than dibbing English over it. I was watching that show Dark with English dubbed over it and it was so bad I just switched over to German with subtitles. And that was one of the better sub jobs I’ve ever seen.

Reactions: 666
I don't mind subtitles. I actually prefer to watch in the native language and read subtitles instead of watching an AI English dubbed version of the same show. Even though the AI dub has sampled the original actor's voice, it sounds so off-putting to me that I can't watch it.

I'm always baffled by how lazy and/or illiterate English-speaking audiences sound when they complain about subtitles. Everyone else has to deal with them from an early age, and it's generally considered a sign of low instruction if you prefer dubbed versions of TV shows or movies over subtitled ones.

I was born in Taiwan, and I was raised watching American and Japanese cartoons and anime with Chinese subtitles, and later on Hong Kong action cinema with Chinese subtitle even though they are dubbed into Mandarin. Even though I became proficient in English after I moved to Canada, the habit of watching movies with subtitles never left as I'd turn on closed caption even if the entire show is in English. The habit has allowed me to watch movies of any language as I'm just as comfortable.

Recently I watched a dark gritty Indian action movie I like a lot called Monkey Man (the same actor as slumdog millionaire), it has some Indian dialogues but it didn't affect my enjoyment. I also watched Anatomy of a fall and Zone of Interest, both are superb movie, one in English/French one almost entirely German. I think it's unfortunate to let unwillingness to read to bar you from watching some great movies.

Back