Down South Hip-Hop

It's crazy how southern Hip-Hop from that era, with the exception of Outkast, was looked down upon by some at the time because it wasn't as lyrical as the Boom-Bap or even the West Coast stuff, but yet it is 100x more lyrical than the mainstream mumble rap of today. I graduated high school in 1998, and the shit that passes for mainstream rap today would get no play back then. Trippie Redd and fucking Lil' [insert name] make Silkk the Shocker sound like fucking MF Doom or Aesop Rock by comparison lol.

On a related note this is a funny take on the relationship between drugs and rappers over the decades:

I love how it's the same beat too changed for each era lol.

NGL I used to think 99% of Southern Rap was trash outside of a select few like Geto boys, Outkast, UGK but it's grown on me the past few years as my tastes have expanded. Paul Wall's an example guy who I swore was absolute trash when I was younger I actually listen to and really dig now. The bums of today can't hold a candle to POLE WOLE

NGL I used to think 99% of Southern Rap was trash outside of a select few like Geto boys, Outkast, UGK but it's grown on me the past few years as my tastes have expanded. Paul Wall's an example guy who I swore was absolute trash when I was younger I actually listen to and really dig now. The bums of today can't hold a candle to POLE WOLE

Swishahouse gets a lot of love from me. Paul Wall, Chamillionaire, Slim Thug. Small step from Swishahouse to

It's crazy how southern Hip-Hop from that era, with the exception of Outkast, was looked down upon by some at the time because it wasn't as lyrical as the Boom-Bap or even the West Coast stuff, but yet it is 100x more lyrical than the mainstream mumble rap of today. I graduated high school in 1998, and the shit that passes for mainstream rap today would get no play back then. Trippie Redd and fucking Lil' [insert name] make Silkk the Shocker sound like fucking MF Doom or Aesop Rock by comparison lol.

On a related note this is a funny take on the relationship between drugs and rappers over the decades:

I love how it's the same beat too changed for each era lol.

How is it crazy the production from most southern beats came of as unorthodox
Rest in peace Magnolia Slim!

Project Pat will always be my favorite rapper from the South.
Pats nice but slim got his self caught up and his shooter got ran out of town.

I only fuck with that Memphis Phonk Horrorcore Devil Rap sound. RIP Lord Infamous

Just a few bangers I still listen to today

One of the newer voices on the scene that frequently makes the headphone cut.

One of the few cats in that melodic hook rapping lane I rank highly. I listen to a lot of Max B and some Young Thug but I often find myself questioning why the hell I'm digging this, with Gates it's evident.

Back