Social Droughts and Water Wars: The Never-Ending Californian Saga.

So how's there a shortage of they can seed clouds for rain?
Gotta give water to the salmon. We had record snow and rain in 2017 and 19. You might have seen the Oroville damage spillway break because we had sooo much water.
Before 17 we were in a 7 year drought? So in 17 and 19 we get hammered and this year we had record snow and it leveled out as the storms died down. But some how we're in a drought again.

Being on the water as much as I am I watch the levels drop. In 20 and 21 I left the ramp at one lake at the end of 20. There was no boat ramp in the water. I came back after the snow melt in May and it was at the same level as when I left. This is at the summit in the sierras. How does anyone explain that?

Gotta give water to the salmon. We had record snow and rain in 2017 and 19. You might have seen the Oroville damage spillway break because we had sooo much water.
Before 17 we were in a 7 year drought? So in 17 and 19 we get hammered and this year we had record snow and it leveled out as the storms died down. But some how we're in a drought again.

Being on the water as much as I am I watch the levels drop. In 20 and 21 I left the ramp at one lake at the end of 20. There was no boat ramp in the water. I came back after the snow melt in May and it was at the same level as when I left. This is at the summit in the sierras. How does anyone explain that?

Not sure where you're getting "record" snow from for this year. I live in far northern Cali and up until the storms in April it had been the driest winter on record. Those storms put us somewhere close to average. As far as "drought" goes it all depends on how you define it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2022/04/20/california-precipitation-snow-april-drought/

Not sure where you're getting "record" snow from for this year. I live in far northern Cali and up until the storms in April it had been the driest winter on record. Those storms put us somewhere close to average. As far as "drought" goes it all depends on how you define it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2022/04/20/california-precipitation-snow-april-drought/
For this year I was talking about December snow that buried everyone. Read my post, I said we had a dry year after and they were letting water out of folsom lake.
I'll just on my fishing forum and get the notomas data if you want.

For this year I was talking about December snow that buried everyone. Read my post, I said we had a dry year after and they were letting water out of folsom lake.
I'll just on my fishing forum and get the notomas data if you want.

A record in a month and then a record dry spell after. That's being pretty disingenuous not mentioning the second half of that. I live up in Del Norte and it was the same story. They have to let a certain amount of water out to avoid killing everything in the river/destroying the recreational economy on the American.

A record in a month and then a record dry spell after. That's being pretty disingenuous not mentioning the second half of that. I live up in Del Norte and it was the same story. They have to let a certain amount of water out to avoid killing everything in the river/destroying the recreational economy on the American.
A record dry spell? You mean like what we had for 7 years straight? You know before Newsome declared the drought over? That kind of record dryness?
2019 going into 20 brought us out of the drought and flooded many. So in 2 1/2 years we have a record dryness to the point it was worse than the previous drought of 7 years?
Hell no! I fish all of Norcal and the sierras and see these levels over the past 20 years. 2020 was a amazing year for me. The water was in the trees.
So it's all just gone just like that eh? That fast? Why? It's not like we didn't get any snow up here.
Shoot this was Saturday.
https://imgbb.com/

I still can't get to my home lake because of snow and it's May.

A record dry spell? You mean like what we had for 7 years straight? You know before Newsome declared the drought over? That kind of record dryness?
2019 going into 20 brought us out of the drought and flooded many. So in 2 1/2 years we have a record dryness to the point it was worse than the previous drought of 7 years?
Hell no! I fish all of Norcal and the sierras and see these levels over the past 20 years. 2020 was a amazing year for me. The water was in the trees.
So it's all just gone just like that eh? That fast? Why? It's not like we didn't get any snow up here.
Shoot this was Saturday.
https://imgbb.com/

I still can't get to my home lake because of snow and it's May.

Are you that dumb? California is a huge state. Just because wherever you live you had some kind of "record" doesn't translate to the whole state. How much have you fished on the Smith River? If you had tried during Steelhead season this past year you'd know that the recreational fishing was being shut down because of low flows up until April, which is incredibly rare.

Ive worked in the water industry for the past 11 years and this year is going to be interesting. Were already seeing less water demand from consumers than we have in my time in the industry but its not enough. Metropolitan Water District of southern california just issued a strict 1 day per week irrigation water schedule for over 6 million people in southern california to begin june 1st. The water district I work for serves about 650,00 residents and Im not sure how we are going to enforce it but I know the nearest fellow MWD member purveyor next to us has already started hiring people to drive the streets and monitor lawn watering.

Are you that dumb? California is a huge state. Just because wherever you live you had some kind of "record" doesn't translate to the whole state. How much have you fished on the Smith River? If you had tried during Steelhead season this past year you'd know that the recreational fishing was being shut down because of low flows up until April, which is incredibly rare.
I mean you're welcome to think I'm dumb. Question, where does most of our water come from. Answer, from where I'm talking about and live, the sierra nevadas.
I'm not the one that declared the drought over in 19, that was Newsom and it was for the whole state not just "where I live".

Eastern Oregon have been told their water allotment for the season. Its absolutely pitiful and I have no idea how they are going to make it work

Special Interests and the Idiots who run California will prevent the State from ever solving its Water or Power issues.

With their 4,000 miles of water canals covered by solar panels to shield them from evaporation, California will save 65 Billion gallons of water each year while generating 13 gigawatts of power.
----

California to Become First State to Install Solar Panels Over Water Canals
By Adrianna Nine on August 30, 2022

Screen-Shot-2022-08-29-at-5.21.23-PM-640x314.png

When it comes to firsts, California’s on a roll. Last month the state became the first to budget in its own insulin manufacturing, and last week California legislators made a historic vote to ban the sale of new gas-powered cars after 2035. Though less flashy, the state recently claimed yet another first by planning to install solar panels over its canals.

California is home to about 4,000 miles of canals. For decades these complex networks have delivered more than 600 million gallons of water per day to agricultural areas and to residents throughout the state. At the same time, California’s water supply has dwindled. Rising temperatures, groundwater depletion, and decreased precipitation have resulted in an unprecedented, years-long drought, bringing the state’s reservoir levels down to the lowest they’ve been in a century. This has prompted legislators, researchers, and environmental activists to seek out ways to protect California’s water supply.

The 8,500 feet of solar panels installed over central California’s Turlock Irrigation District (TID) will have two purposes: to save water and to generate clean energy. According to a study conducted by the University of California, Merced in 2021, these so-called “solar canals” will save more than 65 billion gallons of water per year by preventing the water from evaporating in the sunlight. They’ll also generate 13 gigawatts of energy per year, matching about a sixth of California’s current solar capacity.

These 13 gigawatts would help the state meet key clean electricity goals. Last year, the state’s air, energy, and public utility agencies announced a plan to gradually make California’s energy grid carbon-free. The plan involves building at least six gigawatts of new renewable and storage resources annually to make 60 percent of the state’s energy sources carbon-free by 2030 and 100 percent carbon-free by 2045. Once the solar panels are installed over the canals, the state will have exceeded its goal for 2022.

The University of California’s study also suggests that the solar panels’ shade will help temper aquatic weed growth within the canals. Aside from being a bit of an eyesore (and sometimes producing a nasty odor), aquatic weeds consume water that would otherwise eventually reach a predetermined destination. When they’re particularly prolific, canal weeds can even inhibit water flow.

Turlock Irrigation District, central California’s water and energy utility organization, has already begun developing prototypes of the solar canal covers in the Central Valley. All 8,500 feet are expected to be completed by late 2023.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...ate-to-install-solar-panels-over-water-canals

Last edited:
San Diego county has enough water in the San vincente damn to last almost 20 years.

San Diego county has enough water in the San vincente damn to last almost 20 years.

20 weeks, perhaps.

The San Vicente Reservoir (San Diego City's largest) is currently half-full with about 136,905 acre-foot of water.

Each acre-foot is about 326,000 gallons, meaning there is 44.6 Billion gallons in the San Vicente Reservoir.

San Diego City alone use around 60 Billion gallons of water in 2020.

Overall, they're in pretty good shape this year, but if it wasn't for water imported from other places every single day (around 80% of their supply) and stringent restrictions applied every summer to replenish their reservoirs, it would be fair to say San Diego County's local water supply that made up 20% of their usage would be completely drained in a matter of months.

Last edited:
Back