Dumb things people do to their houses

People that aren't millionaires remodeling their homes that haven't been paid off yet. And pools.
I mean, who wants to wait 30 years to remodel their home. Moreso if they want to sell it in the future. (as long as the remodels are sane and not some weird stuff that will lower the resale value) Same if you plan to live there forever, why wait 20-30 years.

I guess I should also ask how much remodeling of the home. I did a bit as soon as I bought my house (redid the whole kitchen and relocated the downstairs bathroom and added an outside wrap around deck) and it's faaaar better than the house we bought, which was a bit rough around the edges and needed a few things reconfigured to make more sense. It's also how we bought it for so little as it was a fixer upper for the most part.

I don’t really care what people do with their houses. The funkier the better tho imo. Although I will say gutting out a classic 70s or 80s home is always tragic imo. If you don’t like the style leave the house on the market for somebody who does. But I get it. I hate it tho lol.

I don't even like the lawns or landscape I just like cement all over the house it is just extra water bill and water waste to have a lawn. I find a lawn purely ornamental with no function.
We are opposites. Almost 3 acres of "ornament" here. Hundreds of different trees, shrubs, bushes. Several different flower gardens, goldfish ponds, etc. Wife enjoys the landscaping. I enjoy keeping the machines maintained. In fact, I'm about to sharpen blades on the garden tractor and zero turn.

The thing I think is dumb is putting solar panels on your roof. I've heard far more negative feedback from people I know who have solar panels.

Why would you install permanent cabinets that will forever limit the kind of TV you own?
Unless that room is far deeper than pictured, that's as big a tv as I'd put in that room anyway.

Build it with no overhang, worst thing you can do.

Putting the chimney of a fireplace or wood stove on the outside of the building envelope.

Contractors and builders do it, architects design houses with chimneys like that, heating appliance "experts" install them like that... chimneys and flues do not work well at all when they are outside of the heated space.

A cold chimney creates a downward draft; spilling smoke, carbon monoxide, and particulate matter into the house.

A chimney that is room temperature and above always creates and supports an upward draft, helping to ventillate your house and ensuring all smoke, carbon monoxide, and particulates go up and out of the house.

I wouldn't want a house without a lawn.

One of my favourite things to do is just sit in my garden on a nice summer's evening reading a book.
Walking around the lawn barefoot is one of my favourite things, it feels so nice. The little pricklies and then the soft cushion, absolutely love it. Step in about 5 dogshits a year, never wrecks my day.

This shit drives me crazy. Why would you install permanent cabinets that will forever limit the kind of TV you own?

These people are stuck with a 45 inch TV forever. Unless they want to tear up that wall just to replace a TV.

il_794xN.1463567517_oj73.jpg
I Support this. Plenty of place for a decent TV and it makes an otherwise ugly part of your living room nice.

I don't even like the lawns or landscape I just like cement all over the house it is just extra water bill and water waste to have a lawn. I find a lawn purely ornamental with no function.
I was going to post this. Remind me to dislike your posts on sight. What kind of degenerate paves his front yard? Put green in there. It also disfigures your street. Hideous.

I was going to post this. Remind me to dislike your posts on sight. What kind of degenerate paves his front yard? Put green in there. It also disfigures your street. Hideous.
The funny thing is a lot of houses here worth close a million dollars dont have lawns any more in this section of L.A county. It doesn't really disfigure the street because they still have really nice fences and the street is concrete. These houses also attract less bugs and vermin because skunks like to dig in peoples grass for bugs. The places were you see all the vermin here are places were every one has huge lawns and plants I know this because I know exterminators.

Last edited:
You don’t have to water your lawn.

I’ll add people that get rid of bees. I have had the same bees on my front porch for 3 years now. I just sit there and deal with it like a man.

This shit drives me crazy. Why would you install permanent cabinets that will forever limit the kind of TV you own?

These people are stuck with a 45 inch TV forever. Unless they want to tear up that wall just to replace a TV.

il_794xN.1463567517_oj73.jpg
Because the quality of cabinetry is likely much better than store bought stuff.

I worked in high end homes for a while and some of the cabinetry is amazing. You can redo the top portion if you want a bigger tv, it comes apart, it’s ok.

Bad egress

Baseboard Heater in Crawl Space

Cable thru fence

I hate excessive removal of trees and other vegetation on the property. A couple neighbors did that by me and when you live in close proximity it takes away so much privacy.

We planted a few trees in our neighbors yard with his permission years back to create more privacy. He was old and passed away. Some bitch from NYC bought the property and removed every single plant in the yard because of mosquitos…lol I fucking hate people.

Don’t try to turn my town into your hellhole that you fled from.

Back