Dumbest thing you've heard

Someone told me that you need to drink more water when it's cold than hot. It might be the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard. She was serious too.

It depends on what one means by hot or cold. If it's 90ºF versus 65ºF, then no, you'll need more water when out in the former temp. But if it's 90ºF versus, say, freezing, it'll be closer to a wash. You need a lot more water in each case. Your body needs more water the further it is from "normal" temps. Cold weather forces the body to work harder to stay warm, which causes the body to use more water. (This wouldn't apply if you were snug under a foot of Gore Tex, but if you're out in cold weather working, and feeling the cold, it's an issue.) The unit I was in at Camp Lejeune did cold weather and desert warfare training, and in both cases if we were out doing things in either type of weather they wanted us to down at least a gallon of water a day.

It depends on what one means by hot or cold. If it's 90ºF versus 65ºF, then no, you'll need more water when out in the former temp. But if it's 90ºF versus, say, freezing, it'll be closer to a wash. You need a lot more water in each case. Your body needs more water the further it is from "normal" temps. Cold weather forces the body to work harder to stay warm, which causes the body to use more water. (This wouldn't apply if you were snug under a foot of Gore Tex, but if you're out in cold weather working, and feeling the cold, it's an issue.) The unit I was in at Camp Lejeune did cold weather and desert warfare training, and in both cases if we were out doing things in either type of weather they wanted us to down at least a gallon of water a day.
Interesting. The coldest weather I've been in was -8 or -9. I didn't drink nearly as much as i did in the same region when it was in the 90s to low 100s over the summer doing the same amount of exercise. Working in a hot environment indoors doing a physical job (above 100) I drank 64 ounces in 2 hours and barely had to pee. Never drank that much in the winter, maybe not even over the course of 8 hours

poster,840x830,f8f8f8-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Anyone that said these NES minis and such were a must buy.

Likely collecting dust and traded in by...to be fair, 100% of the buyers.

We humans evolved from the common ancestor of apes many millions of years ago.

We don't even know what happened 10 thousand years ago, but somehow we know as a fact what happened 10 million years ago.

It's the backwards baseball cap dude, they saw that and just assumed you were black.
Old man once asked me in my teens why I was dressing like black kids with my hat backwards.

Now mind you I was in high school and on the baseball team.

I asked him if he knew who first started wearing basball hats backwards.
He looked at me all dumbfounded and I informed him.

Catchers in baseball , whites did it first. He was not amused.

That the sub that was used to try and see the wreckage of the titanic and is now lost at sea is run on a Xbox controller
If it had been an actual Xbox controller they might have been ok.

it was some generic knock off madcatz controller or some shit like that.

Logitech I think actually.

"Gravity exists because of the earth's rotation" is something I heard recently. There are quite a few more I've had the pleasure of hearing over the years.

On some scale I could see how it could be argued that is true. Heading in the right direction at least.

I had a coworker ask me why it takes longer to fly to Europe from Vegas than it does from New York

Interesting. The coldest weather I've been in was -8 or -9. I didn't drink nearly as much as i did in the same region when it was in the 90s to low 100s over the summer doing the same amount of exercise. Working in a hot environment indoors doing a physical job (above 100) I drank 64 ounces in 2 hours and barely had to pee. Never drank that much in the winter, maybe not even over the course of 8 hours

There are a lot of variables. If in the cold weather your body was still comfortable due to adequate clothing, then it wouldn't have to work as hard, and thus not need as much water. (Also, experiencing cold at higher altitudes makes a big difference in the need for water.) Some people also have to pee more when it's cold. When we were doing the training I noted, we really were cold much of the time, even with the fancy Gore Tex stuff. Doing guard duty in ~-25 to -50ºF was where I learned the miserable lesson that there is a big gap between being warm and not freezing to death.

There are a lot of variables. If in the cold weather your body was still comfortable due to adequate clothing, then it wouldn't have to work as hard, and thus not need as much water. (Also, experiencing cold at higher altitudes makes a big difference in the need for water.) Some people also have to pee more when it's cold. When we were doing the training I noted, we really were cold much of the time, even with the fancy Gore Tex stuff. Doing guard duty in ~-25 to -50ºF was where I learned the miserable lesson that there is a big gap between being warm and not freezing to death.
Ahhh yeah, gotcha. Yeah the times I've worked/worked out in cold it wasn't those kinds of extremes and while I was cold I was still relatively comfortable

decades ago back in the mid 70's it was a regional popular saying to ask someone if you would "go with me". Meaning being steady couple.

So in 6th grade at a skate party a girl I knew came up to me and said "will you go with me". In complete clueless sincerity I looked at her and said "go where?"

I remain a dumbass to this day

I believe she wanted to go to Pound Town.
the-office-dwight-schrute.gif

Back