Movies DUNE: PART TWO (Passes $600 Million Worldwide; Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen DUNE: PART TWO, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Do you need to watch part 1 to understand or enjoy this one?

Spoiler questions. Answers appreciated, but without spoiling what will surely be in part 3:

Did the water of life somehow pervert Paul's intentions? He was deadset against going and being the hero. Then he had to go. Then after that he was like whatever let's kill em all!

The sinister nature that Jessica takes on also seems to happen after the water of life. No?

I swear at one point when Jessica is talking to her daughter she says something like 'Paul has to do this so the messiah is born.' That seemed to intimate that the daughter was the true messiah and that paul was the 'john the baptist' or was it more of the same like in the first one where he 'had to be killed to be born' type stuff.
He was deadset against going because his visions showed him that if he went south and embraced the role of Lisan al Gaib it would result in a galaxy-wide holy war and the deaths of billions. Once he makes the choice to go south, he has made the choice to go through with that.

Notice that it also happens to coincide with her becoming Reverend Mother and actively using the Bene Gesserit pre-planted propaganda to manipulate the Fremen. Gurney never drink the Water of Life, but he is 100% on board with using them like that once he is briefed.

Don't take things literally. What she means is that Paul has to fulfill everything the prophecies says so all Fremen will believe he is the Prophet.

Why didn't the Sandpeople just try to use the Sandworms to screw with any of their oppressors if they knew how to ride them?

Why didn't Paul know his mom was the daughter of the fat Harkonnen? That was the big reveal I heard the movie audience gasped about? F U!

edit - apparently it was Paul choosing the Empress over Zendaya that was the oh shit moment.

And doesn't that make Paul and Feyd-vis uncle and nephew and not cousins?

I wouldn't have minded Chrisopher Walken if the thespian from Deer Hunter showed up, or I'd settle with him not speaking exactly like how he is parodied by a bajillion people.

A giant Sandworm is not the most versatile mount to attack someone with airborne artillery unless you have clairvoyance to know beforehand when a sand storm is going to neutralize that. And you can use them to attack the Arrakeen without atomic weapons to nuke a path through the mountain range surrounding the city.

Paul didn't know his mom didn't know Jessica was the Baron's daughter because Jessica herself didn't know she was the Baron's daughter, until she drank the Water of Life. A plot point that the movie does a poor job of explaining, that you would only know if you read the book, is that surviving drinking the Water gives you access to the genetic memories of all your ancestors going back to the first hominids to gain sapience. That is how Jessica and Paul find out about the Harkonnen ancestry.

Feyd-Rautha is the son of the Baron's half-brother. That makes him Jessica's first cousin, and thus Paul's first cousin once removed.

Really enjoyed the movie, but some people are saying it's the best epic ever. Better than LOTR and trilogies like that. LOL nah.

Christopher Walken is miscast as the Emperor. I feel an actor like Patrick Stewart or Gary Oldman would be better suited.

Couple of things:

1. How did the northern Fremens get to the Southern pole region in just a few hours on worms?
  2. The final battle is anti-climactic. The Freman just easily kick the shit out of everyone and most of it happens offscreen.
  3. Baron Harkonnen is supposed to be this pedophilic hedonist, but they didn't show that at all. Is it because they didn't want to portray pedophilia?
He also is gay. Perhaps the studio heads didn't want to portray being gay in any negative light? Frank Herbert's son was gay and supposedly he had a falling out with his son because of it. Some say it affected his writing.

4. The movie doesn't do enough to show why the spice melange is so essential in the universe and how they need it for space navigation. In the books and original series, they showed the Guild Navigators and the fish people in tanks. They completely ignored all this in this movie.

A casual person who hasn't read the books will understand none of this. They will not know the spice: a. Is like the gasoline of space. b. Extends life. c. Gives enhanced unconsciousness d. Has narcotic properties where you get addicted and will die if you don't consume it.

1. I don't think it was supposed to be hours. The movie just doesn't specify how long it takes them.
3. It's a dense fucking book. They had to cut a shit-ton of stuff. And by that metric, giving the Baron more characterization clearly wasn't a priority.

Even though most critics are saying they prefer part 1 slightly it this, the impressions from online forums seem a lot more growing than part 1.

I'm guessing because this has more big action in it?

Maybe it's like comparing The Two Towers and Return of the King to Fellowship. Most consider Fellowship to be the best of the LOTR trilogy, but the latter two is where the epic action happens.
I'm not sure where you have seen that.

Dune Part One
Rottentomatoes
Critics: 83 fresh, 7.6/10 average rating
Audience: 90 fresh, 4.5/5 average rating
Metacritic: 74/100
IMDB: 8/10
Letterboxd: 3.9/5

Dune Part Two
Rottentomatoes
Critics: 94 fresh, 8.5/10 average rating
Audience: 95 fresh, 4.7/5 average rating
Metacritic: 79/100
IMDB: 9/10
Letterboxd: 4.6/5

Part two might drop a little in some places, but no doubt it's more popular and well liked than the first by both critics and audiences.

Watched it Friday. It was excellent but felt oddly paced. Probably should have been a three movie trilogy - things happened so quickly the last third of the movie.

It is going to be a trilogy. The third part based on Dune Messiah book.

Update: March 3, 2024

DUNE: PART TWO Delivers on Promise with Big $81.5 Million Opening Weekend for a $178.5 Million Global Start

VWFncKUBaF9E3v4k8QkJbf.jpg

Warner Bros. and Legendary’s Dune: Part Two has delivered on its promise to reenergize the box office after a terrible early winter. Denis Villeneuve’s sequel — sporting an A-list cast led by Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya — opened to an estimated $81.5 million in North America this weekend, double the first film and the biggest opening of the year to date. It’s a major win for Legendary in broadening the audience for its Dune franchise, and is the biggest opening to date for Villeneuve and Chalamet.

Dune 2 is likewise whipping up a sandstorm overseas, where it opened to $97 million from 71 markets for a global start of $178.5 million. (It doesn’t land in China until next weekend and Japan the week after that.) Sci-fi can be a tough sell in certain regions, including some Latin American markets, but Europe and other areas more than made up for any gaps. The U.K. led with $11.5 million, followed by France ($9.3 million) and Germany ($8.4 million).

The film also did huge business in Imax theaters, which delivered $32.2 million of the total global gross, or a notable 18 percent. In 10 markets, Imax enjoyed its biggest opening ever. Like his friend Christopher Nolan, Villeneuve shot part of the movie with Imax cameras.

Throughout the weekend, Warner Bros. tried to manage expectations and suggested Dune 2 would debut more in the $72 million to $75 million range. The sci-fi genre can be a tough sell, and Villeneuve’s films runs two hours and 46 minutes. Also, many wanted to see Dune in Imax and other premium formats.

Dune 2‘s secret sauce? A glowing A CinemaScore, compared to an A- for the first, stellar reviews and, again, glowing audience exit scores.

Heading into the weekend, tracking said Dune 2 would launch domestically to $74 million. Warner Bros., however, remained more conservative in sticking with $65 million domestically and $75 million overseas.

After enduring one of the worst early winters in years (outside of the pandemic), theaters are banking on the movie to usher in a steady stream of event fare that was delayed by last year’s labor strikes.

Theaters were unhappy when Legendary, led by CEO Josh Grode, decided to delay the movie’s release from last fall to now so that Chalamet and Zendaya would be available to publicize the film and help broaden the audience (both have sway with younger viewers). But it turned out to be the right move; one example being the attention Chalamet received for his performance in Warner Bros.’ holiday winner Wonka.

The long game, versus opening weekend, will be the true test for Villeneuve. He’s keen on making one one more film, Dune: Messiah, while Warners has a spinoff series, Dune: Prophecy, due out on Max later this year.

Dune grossed more than $402 million at the worldwide box office in 2021 — a solid and promising number considering the pressures of the pandemic and the film’s day-and-date streaming release — but the filmmakers have far bigger expectations for the follow up.

That was just for domestic. See above post for the updated U.S. and worldwide results.

*Sigh of relief*

Big-budget SciFi are historically big risks in Hollywood, with some of the biggest bombs being SciFi with absurdly large budgets.

Off the top of my head... Bladerunner 2049, Final Fantasy The Spirits Within, and John Carter.

And SciFi is my favorite film genre, which is extremely frustrating because I want more & better SciFi films, and they're typically very hit & miss in Hollywood.

Pretty good movie. I liked it.

I didn't like that the battle was basically an afterthought. They didn't show any of the action, they just had the Fremen win the war with no scenes showing how it happened. That could have been really epic to see but they didn't show it.

After seeing the movie, then reading through all the posts here. Also let me say that I have never read the books, but my oppinion is that despite being pretty long (nearly 3 hours), it still felt like a lot was missing. My perception is that the books are very dense and detailed, and a lot had to be cut/streamlined for cinematic purposes, which is understandable.

My 2 cents, is that it was visually and audibly stunning, but otherwise, dragged in parts, and felt like a lot of scenes were cut short. I see a lot of complaints about Christopher Walken as the Emperor, but really he had like less than 5 minutes of screen time and very few lines. Anyway, I'm not feeling the overall vibe of great. Thought it was good but not great. Extra points for Florence Pugh.

Last edited:
Saw it today. Supposed to see it last night but we went cosmic tubing up in the mountains.

Movie was dope. Great sequel. I’d put it alongside Hunger Games: Catching Fire which is a very high compliment given it was the best movie out of the trilogy even though Mockingjay had two parts

Timothee wasn’t my choice for a role like this but man he acted the hell out of the last hour

Austin Butler needs even more movies

Zendaya was good and I’m not the biggest fan

Part 3 is going to be epic

9.4/10

I think both movies were really really good. I was in that world the entire time the movie was playing and it's just different than other movies. The visuals, the world painted, the amount of dialogue vs non dialogue, tone, pacing.

I do have questions though

Did the Bene Gesserit who advised the emperor to have the Atreides killed know the whole time what was going to happen. She had the Harkanen cousin have a kid, she told the emperors daughter that she would have to marry Paul to continue her rule?

Really good movie, some of the best sound design Ive heard in quite a while. The one thing that did bug me was that everything seemed to have two or three different names which made it confusing to keep up with. They refer to paul as three different names the entire movie interchangeably. On a second watch it will probably be less confusing.

Do yourself a favor and watch part 1 the day before this movie so you can remember who everyone is.

Back