Movies DUNE (Sequel Officially Greenlit; Opens to $40.1 Million at the U.S. Box Office)

If you have seen DUNE (2021), how would you rate it?

• Total voters
When I looked it up it does say there are computers but not advanced ones that use AI or modeled to work like a human brain. What I read was even the Bene Gesserit use computers.

How could a ship that travels in space not have some type of computer system on it? Even the shields they wear around them while fighting must use some computers to make them work

Where did it say that?

Anything capable of advanced calculations was banned.

The Ixians took some risks and were always in peril of paying for it.

Most major technologies are made by the Ixians and they routinely dance on the line of what's outlawed (in later books it's even confirmed they have done research that is explicitly banned), so there absolutely are computers. Herbert just never really goes into detail about the specifics of what they are, what they do, or how they work.

After the death of Leto II, the Ixians developed navigation machines. Before that, there was no evidence of computers in the Dune universe, although there were rumors.

I really liked the lynch film. I enjoyed all the characters and designs as well as that freaky david lynch tone that suits the material. yes it was put together badly and the effects were dodgey but i have watched it many times and enjoyed it and will watch again. not many other films i can do the same.

I don't hate it. It's just one of those movies I like for its general weirdness(great movie to get high to, LOL), but I can't ignore that it's quite flawed in a lot of glaring ways(wooden acting, general off beat pacing, and it feels like the script is more of a scrapbook), and was commenting on how this flick won't be such a mess on a purely objective level, and will likely tighten a lot of things up and be easier to digest.

The original is basically what you get when take some way out there artsy dude, and have him work work on a big studio flick.

Nope. It's an energy field that can be calibrated to prevent matter from passing through beyond certain velocities. They require measurement, not calculation.

But I looked it up and it says there are computers just not thinking machines like AI. Basic computing machines. The ornithopter and the ship Duncan flies
Have to use some basic computers in there.

Where did you look it up?

Mentats calculate, machines are forbidden.

Fans of the books just like what you see here on Sherdog.

What I gathered from the answers is there are limits on the computers. But there are no advanced thinking machines because of the AI war they had.

After the death of Leto II, the Ixians developed navigation machines. Before that, there was no evidence of computers in the Dune universe, although there were rumors.

I don’t remember that. I read Heretics, Chapterhouse and…. Hunters and Sandworms (fucking yuck) in 2012 but I don’t remember that.

Sci Fi channel already did a Dune series

Yes, and it’s excellent IMO not withstanding

1. Terrible sets
2. Terrible costumes
3. Terrible CGI

But it’s a super faithful adaptation with good acting, good atmosphere and (imo) a good score.

@Loiosh

How do the giant space carrier ships bend space time. How does that process actually happen? Is that covered by any chance.

I never read the books but found the movie and the world building to be very interesting

I don’t remember that. I read Heretics, Chapterhouse and…. Hunters and Sandworms (fucking yuck) in 2012 but I don’t remember that.

Can't remember exactly when. It was rumored during the reign of Leto II as a serious threat to the spice monopoly, and then happened after Leto II died.

Fans of the books just like what you see here on Sherdog.

What I gathered from the answers is there are limits on the computers. But there are no advanced thinking machines because of the AI war they had.

No calculations, that was the law.

I really enjoyed it. Villeneuve is awesome.

Clear 8.5/10 for me.

I've never seen the Lynch film all through and the parts I had seen were so long ago that it was really as though I were going into this film with a clean slate. But what I find strange is I saw more than one headline where a critic wrote a piece indicating the Lynch film was the superior movie, or, at least, the more enjoyable film. I'm thinking to myself- by what metrics? This seemed like it was probably superior in virtually every category. Even with my fuzzy memory of what I'd seen from it, I can at least say that this was way more impressive to me.

What a cast they assembled for this. I love Bardem in virtually every role I've seen him in. Just one of those distinctive, idiosyncratic actors that you've got to appreciate. This was no exception. I thought he did a great job in creating an aura around his character.

But a lot of this movie fell on Chalamet's and Ferguson's shoulders as they had the most screentime. I thought they both did really well and were particularly convincing in the mother-son bond, which I thought would be a tough sell since Ferg strikes me as far too young to be Chalamet's mother but they pulled it off very well.

Oscar Isaac- always a boss. Brolin, solid. Momoa was a lot of fun. Zendaya had a lot of presence and will, I'm sure, play a major factor in the sequel. Would have liked to see more of Big Dave, but he always does a quality job even in smaller parts.

But, really, the cinematography, direction, set design, costumes, etc were the greatest standouts. Awesome world-building.

No calculations, that was the law.

I understand that but from what readers of the books say even the Bene Gesserit use computers and there are basic computational machines being used as well.

almost everyone is putting an emphasis on human thinking machines like AI and super computers being outright banned.

@Loiosh

How do the giant space carrier ships bend space time. How does that process actually happen? Is that covered by any chance.

I never read the books but found the movie and the world building to be very interesting

The Hottzman Effect.

You can read all about it here.

You can find the answers to any Dune question there.

As for the ending of the film

I was a bit surprised with how easily Chalamet murked that Freman warrior. Absolute drubbing. Good old fashioned squash match

I understand that but from what readers of the books say even the Bene Gesserit use computers and there are basic computational machines being used as well.

almost everyone is putting an emphasis on human thinking machines like AI and super computers being outright banned.

I've read the first half dozen books many, many times and have no recollection of anyone using a computer.

The appendices have extensive details of the Butlerian Jihad and the calculation prohibition. It's the main reason there are Navigators, they're needed to calculate the jumps.

The Hottzman Effect.

You can read all about it here.

You can find the answers to any Dune question there.

nice thanks.

I have one more question for you right now.

they don’t use Lasguns instead they use swords because of the shields they wear which can cause a chain reaction that causes a nuclear like blast but when the harkonnen attack on Dune they use what looks to be all sorts of different weapons.

why were there no nuclear reactions during that battle.

As for the ending of the film

I was a bit surprised with how easily Chalamet murked that Freman warrior. Absolute drubbing. Good old fashioned squash match

Paul was trained by the best swordsman in the universe and knows the weirding way. Which they haven't explained yet, but Jessica demonstrated on Stilgar.

Oh what- knew that actor who played the Baron must be famous- had no idea it was Skarsgard lol. Makes total sense in hindsight. Good work from him as well.

Back