dustin p using his elbows t block punches

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i notice dustin will stick out his elbows to block punches he has great success with this instead of keeping the hand sup traditional boxing style

im wondering if he is doing that to make them hit his elbow and injure their hand cause i will say that does hurt like hell when you hit an elbow when sparring/fighting found it to be pretty crafty but dont think if i were him that id rely on it 100% as guys will start to go to the body cant protect the body when ding that defense

Do you have a video?

Some Muay Thai instructors teach a type of guard with elbows protruding to achieve this very thing.

But that is stationary, if his elbows are moving perhaps he is throwing and elbow, a hook or both simultaneously.
Even though elbows aren't allowed in boxing it is common to rotate a hook all the way through to the elbow.

"Elbow" also generally means the proximal end of the forearm. This is used as a wall to both hold back an opponent and pin their hands in boxing infighting.

I tried to find alright quality gifs. Two of them are more so rolling with the shots and using head movements to avoid punches. For the most part, his defense is based around using the shoulder roll.

If anyone has the Jack Slack video on Poirier, there are clips in there that show the pseudo-cross armed guard defense that Poirier employs.

Last edited:
In the bottom two videos Dustin is doing the elbow flick portion of a shoulder roll.

This is one of the standard options used when in the low lead hand/Philly shell position in boxing.
The lead hand is kept at waist level and you rotate body to your own inside (opponents outside) while flicking opponents fist with your elbow.

From that flick you can continue to rotate into a "pull" simultaneously pulling head back behind and below lead shoulder, this loads you up to rotate back at a lower level with a right hand bodyshot.

Masters of the Philly shell style aim to be as subtle and minimal with their movements as possible though, so would try to avoid the elbow flick as it can leave you open and reduces vision. They prefer to block with the guard created by lead shoulder and the backhand resting just in front of temple and either letting punches bounce overhead with a small layback or a deep bend at waist to get below all punches.

From the bend at waist position you can wrap your lead arm around opponents waist, stick your head behind their armpit and either clinch and hold there till referee resets or spin the opponent and escape out the other side. Floyd Mayweather does that regularly. It's one of his staple moves to escape from ropes in particular.

Isnt it called teh skull and crossbones defence?

Isnt it called teh skull and crossbones defence?
Never heard of that term before. Googled it to no avail. I'm guessing it's just something a random youtuber made up.

The low lead hand and shoulder roll style of boxing has been popular for 100 years. It recently became known as Philly shell through Mayweather because of him using it very consistently as a rigid defensive shell and being famous from his great success.
But that elbow flick / parry (not an official term) is a common move for anyone who does the shoulder roll. Which is generally anyone who fights with a low lead hand in a side on stance.

I think most would just call it "parrying with lead elbow). You can knock the oncoming fist upwards as well as sideways too.

Never heard of that term before. Googled it to no avail. I'm guessing it's just something a random youtuber made up.

The low lead hand and shoulder roll style of boxing has been popular for 100 years. It recently became known as Philly shell through Mayweather because of him using it very consistently as a rigid defensive shell and being famous from his great success.
But that elbow flick / parry (not an official term) is a common move for anyone who does the shoulder roll. Which is generally anyone who fights with a low lead hand in a side on stance.

I think most would just call it "parrying with lead elbow). You can knock the oncoming fist upwards as well as sideways too.

Usually, I see it referred to as the cross armed guard or "The Lock", but the Skull and Crossbones term is used by 52 Blocks.

Poirier's guard is different than the traditional crossed arm guard because he only keeps his lead elbow up while his rear hand glued to the side of his face.

I'm about 55% sure that most of his striking defense is based around rolling the shots and that the elbow is just there to make throwing straight shots awkward and to help parry shots

"Poirier's guard is different than the traditional crossed arm guard because he only keeps his lead elbow up while his rear hand glued to the side of his face."

This EXACTLY is the Philly shell/shoulder roll style of boxing.

main-qimg-b00eb63572e83032458b9deff2c3abc4

07-600x385.jpg

i know what philyl shell is thats not what im talking about yeah he does it at times but yeah thats not what i was referring to he did it quite a bit to justin and some other fights ill try to find some good examples

and im not talking about his stance he goes into it when guys start to throw at him

It doesn’t appear like he is purposely trying to ‘spike’ incoming punches with the point of his elbow. It looks like he’s parrying them with his arms

Are you talking about a guard where it's like a high "chicken wing" block but with both arms, hands interlocked behind your head with the elbows pointing out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back