Dustin Poirier is (almost) everything you want in a fighter

what does your rant have to do with anything i said before regarding Poirier ?
To stay on topic: Yes Poirier is the man. I was especially rooting for him in the 2014 fight with Conor. Have been rooting for him since forever and I wish him all the best. Having said that, for that UFC178 post fight press conference, I gotta say that I felt like Chris Cariaso (who was sitting next to Conor; by the way, Cariaso lost to mighty mouse in that same event). Why did I felt like Cariaso? Well, Cariaso was seated beside Conor (donned in an elephant ivory trunk suit--it was essentially Conor's post fight conference solely), going off confidently about how Aldo's chin was gone and going on a confident long rant about his capabilities while Cariaso was wide-eyed in a bad looking oversized suit (if I do remember correctly), feeling resigned to just having to listen to Conor's rant. Was a sad day for Poirier and Cariaso, and Dustin's future career path seemed bleak, but I'm pleasantly surprised that Poirier went on to have such a splendid career. But okay now I'm ranting.

To stay off-topic: I know that, in this quoted message, you're replying to the other poster who made a response criticising Islam's supposed cowardice. I know that you and I both, are scratching our heads about what does Islam have to do with this thread. Sherbro I swear that there's a Godwin's Law that's applicable to Sherdog. (original Godwin's law being that: any online discussion that goes long enough will have a mention of Hitler). I think any thread that goes long enough will have Conor popping up; while any LW-related thread that goes past 3 posts will have Khabib/Islam fanboys/Haters (most likely the latter though) chiming in when the topic isn't even about these fighters.

He's the man. If he had good tdd he'd probably be one of my favorites. It's just frustrating how he gets taken down by anyone who really wants to.

top 5 LW of all time? can't rate him over anyone who was an actual LW champion. he's probably one of the greatest high level gatekeepers there is though. if you can't beat Poirer you don't deserve to be in top 5 of the division.
It's not as simple as what titles you won. Different eras and all. Poirier's prime was in the toughest era of LW with Khabib, Oliveira, Islam etc. I'd rate him higher than a few champs, Pettis and Alvarez come to mind, but I'm not sure he's top 5 all time.

One fight being removed from getting knocked out. Him getting a shot over Justin would be fucking trash and anyone with two brain cells could see that. Don't care that you are fine with it TS. You are the type to reward trash shots, because of history, instead of what is happening currently. Whatever man. Dustin is a great fighter, but maybe Islam thinks he walks through Dustin and fights again in that October card, which seems they request him and have pull enough to do so and hard to think Dustin doesn't have a shot against Islam. That's not a wash, just don't think he's deserving, but Islam magically thinks he is now lol, while they ae saying Charles vs. Arman winner is getting shot and both of those are much harder fights for Islam, Justin is a harder fight too.

It's not as simple as what titles you won. Different eras and all. Poirier's prime was in the toughest era of LW with Khabib, Oliveira, Islam etc. I'd rate him higher than a few champs, Pettis and Alvarez come to mind, but I'm not sure he's top 5 all time.

aaaaaand here is the problem. your standards are not the same as my standards. and since there is no "gold standard" of who becomes an all time great, we are both neither wrong or right.

top 5 LW of all time? can't rate him over anyone who was an actual LW champion. he's probably one of the greatest high level gatekeepers there is though. if you can't beat Poirer you don't deserve to be in top 5 of the division.
I can totally put him over certain guys with belts. That’s the luxury of actually watching these fights in real time vs just hearing about it online years later.

We know how good he was . Belts mean nothing. It’s all about WHO DID YOU FIGHT AND WHO DID YOU BEATOFF

One fight being removed from getting knocked out. Him getting a shot over Justin would be fucking trash and anyone with two brain cells could see that. Don't care that you are fine with it TS. You are the type to reward trash shots, because of history, instead of what is happening currently. Whatever man. Dustin is a great fighter, but maybe Islam thinks he walks through Dustin and fights again in that October card, which seems they request him and have pull enough to do so and hard to think Dustin doesn't have a shot against Islam. That's not a wash, just don't think he's deserving, but Islam magically thinks he is now lol, while they ae saying Charles vs. Arman winner is getting shot and both of those are much harder fights for Islam, Justin is a harder fight too.
Just stop. Go take a break. You sound unhinged

To stay on topic: Yes Poirier is the man. I was especially rooting for him in the 2014 fight with Conor. Have been rooting for him since forever and I wish him all the best. Having said that, for that UFC178 post fight press conference, I gotta say that I felt like Chris Cariaso (who was sitting next to Conor; by the way, Cariaso lost to mighty mouse in that same event). Why did I felt like Cariaso? Well, Cariaso was seated beside Conor (donned in an elephant ivory trunk suit--it was essentially Conor's post fight conference solely), going off confidently about how Aldo's chin was gone and going on a confident long rant about his capabilities while Cariaso was wide-eyed in a bad looking oversized suit (if I do remember correctly), feeling resigned to just having to listen to Conor's rant. Was a sad day for Poirier and Cariaso, and Dustin's future career path seemed bleak, but I'm pleasantly surprised that Poirier went on to have such a splendid career. But okay now I'm ranting.

To stay off-topic: I know that, in this quoted message, you're replying to the other poster who made a response criticising Islam's supposed cowardice. I know that you and I both, are scratching our heads about what does Islam have to do with this thread. Sherbro I swear that there's a Godwin's Law that's applicable to Sherdog. (original Godwin's law being that: any online discussion that goes long enough will have a mention of Hitler). I think any thread that goes long enough will have Conor popping up; while any LW-related thread that goes past 3 posts will have Khabib/Islam fanboys/Haters (most likely the latter though) chiming in when the topic isn't even about these fighters.

The entire reason this type of discussion came up is because of an interview Islam did where he called for Poirer. To pretend that a major reason people are't trying to justify a 2-2 ,with 2 losses coming to Charles and Gaethje fighter to skip the que by beating a guy with his best win being Frevola. 1 fight ago DP lost to Gaethje. 4 fights ago he lost to Charles. In the time that Charles and Gaethje have picked up wins and won title eliminators Poirer has lost to both of them.

Islam sat out (again) waited till they were both booked (before him) and now wants Poirer who jumped guillotine 6x instead of defending takedowns before getting the KO. I love DP, but Islam just called for the easiest match up in the top 10 for him after making everyone else take another fight waiting for him.

Credit for DP going out and getting a good win, but there are 3 people in front of him and he should be fighting Gamrot next to defend that top spot whilst the other fights play out.

He's weak against elite wrestlers but other than that his striking has developed as great as you could ask out of an MMA fighter.

He kept on progressing from his early days at FW where he lost against great names (KZ, Cub, Conor) and won against others (Holloway).

He went up a class a collected the scalps of Gaethje, Alvarez, Holloway, Conor, Hooker, Pettis, Chandler..

In a historically deep division, he showed durability, persistence, and regularity. He's still keeping young prospects from getting near that belt.

He's a great boxer, maybe the greatest of the division, he has deceptive cardio, not that easy to take down, he's a fricking dog and he's a danger from round 1 to the end of round 5. You can never count him off and that's why i'm fine with him skipping Charles and Gaethje for another TS

Maybe top 5 LW all time, but for sure a JBG all time candidate and a fan pleaser !
In the end it's all about being a champ so nope

POIRIER IS STILL MY BOY!!! Lol

Seriously, there's been many many great fighters that haven't ever held a belt. To me Poirier is one of the most exciting fighters to ever fight for the UFC, he's #1 in that category for me. I've never not gotten excited for a fight of his. Win or lose Dustin never disappoints, let him have his last shot at the belt ffs.
I agree with this except one small point. During Poirier vs McGregor 1, I think something was off. He movement looked different in that fight than any before or after it. He was still moving, but, idk, it seemed stiff with little head movement. He did not seem like the same dude in that fight that beat Max 2 years earlier. Even if I am wrong, I remembered being disappointed in the fight, thinking it would go a lot longer than it did.

Mate. Don't fall for this. Islam didn't want a bar of him 6 months ago and now that he lost to Gaethje and got outwrestled for a round and will continue to jump guillotines, suddenly Islam can't wait and wants to fight?

Islam took the start of the year off, so everyone else had to fight again in the meantime.Poirer fought the lowest ranked guy and Charles, Gaethje and Arman are all fighting soon. Islam is in ramadan, he isn't even close to doing a camp currently, so why is he calling out fighters that had to wait because of him?

Poirer needs another win to be considered. He lost vs Gaethje less than 1 fight ago and has losses to 2/3 mentioned above.
<WhatIsThis>

He lost to Gaethje more than 6 months ago. Poirier has 38 fights, and you think Islam was just waiting on the scouting report from fight #38 to find out whether he could outwrestle Dustin Poirier?

Islam fought like 10 weeks before new year, and you think it's strange that a champ wasn't already booked again for the first part of the year? It was also more recent than any of the contenders until Poirier fought just last weekend. Gaethje and Poirier had both sat out since last summer, Islam tried to fight Oliveira in his last fight but Charles pulled out and hasn't fought since last June. He already beat #1 and 4, and #2 and 3 both have multiple failed title shots and have only won 1 and 2 fights since. I don't think Islam really cares which one of them he fights because he's like a 4-1 favorite against all of them anyway.

I can totally put him over certain guys with belts. That’s the luxury of actually watching these fights in real time vs just hearing about it online years later.

We know how good he was . Belts mean nothing. It’s all about WHO DID YOU FIGHT AND WHO DID YOU BEATOFF

belts actually mean a lot. they signify you as being the best in the world at that weight class. i don't know why you're acting like they mean nothing. if Poirer beats Islam you'll be adding that title to the reason why he's an all time great. you can say "it's only because Islam is Islam" but the only reason Poirer wants to fight him is because he has the belt.

of course i watched his fights, that's part of the reason why i can't see to rate him in the top 5 of LWs OF ALL TIME??? that's a big ask. i'm not saying i couldn't be convinced but there is a lot of talent at LW and i do not see him as head and shoulders above the majority of the other talent as say Khabib. when i think of top of ANYTHING of ALL TIME, i'm thinking of dominance. whether it's thoroughly dismantling elite fighters in several key fights or over years of winning. Poirer always loses key fights and has unecessarily difficult fights with guys who on paper he should dominate. Poirer goes on win streaks but he never gets past a handful of wins before losing. which is why he has never been a champion, because in the key moments he lost. i think head to head he could beat a lot of guys people wouldn't think he could, but i also think he'd lose to many guys people think he'd smash.

he's a great fighter. a must watch guarantee barn burner type of fighter, but that doesn't mean i think there's only 4 LWs that are better than him in ALL OF TIME.

belts actually mean a lot. they signify you as being the best in the world at that weight class. i don't know why you're acting like they mean nothing. if Poirer beats Islam you'll be adding that title to the reason why he's an all time great. you can say "it's only because Islam is Islam" but the only reason Poirer wants to fight him is because he has the belt.

of course i watched his fights, that's part of the reason why i can't see to rate him in the top 5 of LWs OF ALL TIME??? that's a big ask. i'm not saying i couldn't be convinced but there is a lot of talent at LW and i do not see him as head and shoulders above the majority of the other talent as say Khabib. when i think of top of ANYTHING of ALL TIME, i'm thinking of dominance. whether it's thoroughly dismantling elite fighters in several key fights or over years of winning. Poirer always loses key fights and has unecessarily difficult fights with guys who on paper he should dominate. Poirer goes on win streaks but he never gets past a handful of wins before losing. which is why he has never been a champion, because in the key moments he lost. i think head to head he could beat a lot of guys people wouldn't think he could, but i also think he'd lose to many guys people think he'd smash.

he's a great fighter. a must watch guarantee barn burner type of fighter, but that doesn't mean i think there's only 4 LWs that are better than him in ALL OF TIME.
No they don’t mean anything.

Nobody considered aljo champ.
Nobody considered vitor champ

Belts are just promotional tools to sell tickets.

Wins and losses matter And context of them.

Otherwise Mighty Mouse would be the unanimous GOAT

But come on

<WhatIsThis>

He lost to Gaethje more than 6 months ago. Poirier has 38 fights, and you think Islam was just waiting on the scouting report from fight #38 to find out whether he could outwrestle Dustin Poirier?

Islam fought like 10 weeks before new year, and you think it's strange that a champ wasn't already booked again for the first part of the year? It was also more recent than any of the contenders until Poirier fought just last weekend. Gaethje and Poirier had both sat out since last summer, Islam tried to fight Oliveira in his last fight but Charles pulled out and hasn't fought since last June. He already beat #1 and 4, and #2 and 3 both have multiple failed title shots and have only won 1 and 2 fights since. I don't think Islam really cares which one of them he fights because he's like a 4-1 favorite against all of them anyway.
Why do we continue to have everyone booked before Islam when he is the champ?

Charles could have easily fought again, Gaethje was good to go and Arman was free, but instead these 3 all had to fight again because Islam was out until June at the earliest. Now Islam suddenly wants Poirer because everyone is busy?

You had 3 guys with as good or better claims than Poirer to a title shot, all of which Islam wanted to fight someone else, but now he wants Poirer with everyone else booked. I love DP and would love him to get a shot because the right hook is always there, but Islam is picking the easiest guy for him in the top 5 stylistically.

DP is the furthest in the entire top 5 from a title shot. He has lost to 2/3 above him.

Why do we continue to have everyone booked before Islam when he is the champ?

Charles could have easily fought again, Gaethje was good to go and Arman was free, but instead these 3 all had to fight again because Islam was out until June at the earliest. Now Islam suddenly wants Poirer because everyone is busy?

You had 3 guys with as good or better claims than Poirer to a title shot, all of which Islam wanted to fight someone else, but now he wants Poirer with everyone else booked. I love DP and would love him to get a shot because the right hook is always there, but Islam is picking the easiest guy for him in the top 5 stylistically.

DP is the furthest in the entire top 5 from a title shot. He has lost to 2/3 above him.
Because random contenders have a bigger list of possible opponents than the champ, and are supposed to fight more often instead of sitting out a year every time they win a fight.

Again, Islam fought more recently than they did. Gaethje will have 9 months between fights, Oliveira 10 months, and Oliveira is the reason Oliveira didn't already get a rematch after getting completely annihilated less than a year earlier.

Arnan was free to do what? He just got his first ranked win in December, which makes him 1-2 against ranked opponents, including already losing 30-27 to Islam, but you think getting his first ranked win over Dariush should rocket him to clear #1 contender status? WTF?

Because random contenders have a bigger list of possible opponents than the champ, and are supposed to fight more often instead of sitting out a year every time they win a fight.

Again, Islam fought more recently than they did. Gaethje will have 9 months between fights, Oliveira 10 months, and Oliveira is the reason Oliveira didn't already get a rematch after getting completely annihilated less than a year earlier.

Arnan was free to do what? He just got his first ranked win in December, which makes him 1-2 against ranked opponents, including already losing 30-27 to Islam, but you think getting his first ranked win over Dariush should rocket him to clear #1 contender status? WTF?
Gaethje sat out waiting for Islam to be ready to fight after beating 6 and 2 being Poirer. Charles was ready to go within two weeks of pulling out for his cut. Islam didn't take a punch in his last fight. There was no reason not to just rebook that fight pre Ramadan.both fighters could have easily taken 2-4 weeks off and been back in camp with no issues and limited need to change their prep.

Arman has the same ranked wins as BSD with the signature top 5 win over Dariush,is 8-1 since losing to Islam on debut. His only loss is a close decision via control time to Gamrot who is also a fight or two from a shot. DP lost his top 5 fight vs Gaethje, whilst Arman won his. Poirer is 2-2 for comparison.

Hell yeah Arman is ahead of him and especially if he gets by Charles. DP should be fighting Gamrot or the loser of Charles and Arman.

3 clear fighters ahead of DP, all taking an extra fight due to having to wait for the champ to actually be ready to start a camp. DP going 1-1 or 2-2 in his last 4 with the 2 fights against Mcgregor being his last win streak, would remove any credibility to LW rankings meaning anything.

Back