Media Dustin Poirier Says He Was Extremely Depressed, Suicidal After Justin Gaethje Loss

No I think most would not talk about it. But why is Dustin? Especially when he knows he got a large audience. Talking like this is would cause humiliation to fighters as well.
Or they would know they are not alone.

This guy talks all the time about his wife and daughter, but thinks about taking his life after a loss? This is some clown ass weak shit.
It's not like having lived ones magically makes people immune to depression. That's pretty silly.

Reactions: HHJ
It's not like having lived ones magically makes people immune to depression. That's pretty silly.
Some of these ppl need to leave the basement.

These guys train like demons and put their lives at risk for this. They want it really bad. So compounding the fact that it's hard for a man to come to grips with getting knocked out in front of the world,knowing that they are gonna replay that forever on UFC tv....feeling like you let your team,fans and family down,and that maybe you won't achieve your goal of becoming a champion....I dunno,maybe some people may feel a deep depression about that,despite their support system. It's not like Dustin decided he was going to be depressed. It's not a light switch,it's a demon on his back.

Some of these ppl need to leave the basement.

These guys train like demons and put their lives at risk for this. They want it really bad. So compounding the fact that it's hard for a man to come to grips with getting knocked out in front of the world,knowing that they are gonna replay that forever on UFC tv....feeling like you let your team,fans and family down,and that maybe you won't achieve your goal of becoming a champion....I dunno,maybe some people may feel a deep depression about that,despite their support system. It's not like Dustin decided he was going to be depressed. It's not a light switch,it's a demon on his back.
This thread is the perfect example of why the layman needs to not play mental health practitioner.

1) We do not know who ELSE has been suicidal, has gone to therapy, or who has suffered severe depression because it's not something everyone talks about like Dustin did publicly; so, comparing and saying that since Joe Johnson the fighter didn't react that way, Dustin shouldn't. Fans have no idea what goes on inn these people's lives.

2) Everyone's experiences are unique, as everyone has a different social environment, level of fame (pressure), genetics, brain injury (not going to assume it is that, it's a possibility), current life situation, and general life experiences. Another reason it is silly to compare Dustin to Joe Johnson.

3) There is NOTHING wrong with Dustin sharing these experiences publicly as it may help others feel encouraged to get help; this is especially true of the fighters and fans that like Dustin, as that mold tends to have a harder time asking for help than other groups.

4) ANYONE can reach the point that Dustin did. PERIOD.

5) You do not choose your feelings, only the way you react to them. Therefore, the fact that he felt suicidal was not some kind of a betrayal to his family or anyone else; that's a pretty bizarre implication I'm hearing.

Thinking about harming yourself is always cowardly and selfish though. Depression can be dealt with in other ways.

Thinking about harming yourself is always cowardly and selfish though. Depression can be dealt with in other ways.
Do you understand how mental illness works? It's not a logical thought process. It's not like people just choose to self harm or have thoughts of self harm. It's like telling a sick person to just be healthy.

Do you understand how mental illness works? It's not a logical thought process. It's not like people just choose to self harm or have thoughts of self harm. It's like telling a sick person to just be healthy.

Mental illness is 99% BS. It’s just ppl that can’t cope with hard shit. A real mental illness is being born mentally retarded or something, not being fucking sad.

This is a sad sign, and these comments from dipshits here along the lines of "glad the champ got this win to turn things around " are laughably short sighted and ignorant. If this guy requires the rush of a knockout victory inside the octagon to constantly tilt his emotional issues, that's a very poorly tenable crutch. He'd he better off walking away from fighting altogether and dedicating his mind to bettering himself from the inside.
Exactly, that mentality creates the cliche post career we're sad to see as fans (in many aging legends). Rather than giving the man his band aid, this should be an enormous red flag and something to address. It can definitely send you spiraling quickly if you don't get the desired result. Just look at Volk and what he's done to his legacy. If no one checks him he can very likely go out like BJ Penn.

Mental illness is 99% BS. It’s just ppl that can’t cope with hard shit. A real mental illness is being born mentally retarded or something, not being fucking sad.
And you know this how? Describe your experience in working with mental illness, and your education in it.

Ok so no then lol.

Right, and a schizophrenic could just CHOOSE to not hear voices; a bipolar individual could CHOOSE to not have a manic episode. :rolleyes:

Not a fan of this being so openly discussed and Ariel asking him directly if he was suicidal. The man said he was depressed. Just leave it at that

It’s important because we’re soon going to have one of these guys and/or gals killing themselves while still competing at the highest level. There are countless instances of fighters and athletes in general who have killed themselves after the lights quit shining. I’d also hate to speculate, but Matt Hughes’s accident sounded an awful lot like a suicide attempt to me.

getting KTFO live in front of 18K live and a million streaming would count as a significant emotional event, this doesn’t surprise me.

Right, and a schizophrenic could just CHOOSE to not hear voices; a bipolar individual could CHOOSE to not have a manic episode. :rolleyes:
There's no talking to people like that lol. Reminds me of this friend I had years ago I was explaining schizophrenia to her, and she up and says oh I don't believe in that. Not just schizophrenia, but any mental illness at all. So strange, like talking to a flat earther. Oh word this entire branch of medical science is just made up, and I guess all the people talking to demons and aliens aren't crazy they're just faking it.

{<huh}

Those are real illnesses, not depression. And I stick by it.

Crazy to see one of the most beloved and veteran fighters still be that depressed after a loss.

Damn -- I've come to learn that the highest level competitors oftentimes have very serious mental challenges, and struggle with depression and anxiety more often than it would seem. Coming from wrestling, I've seen high level competitors before my own eyes just lose their cool and come crashing down and buring when everything just doesn't go according to plan; especially Olympic athletes. Much love to Poirier for being so candid.

Those are real illnesses, not depression. And I stick by it.
Perhaps you should look into what depression actually means in the larger scope. I think you would be surprised at how complex and multi-splintered it is. Some of us experience a depression in our lives that is mild to moderate based on our life situation and think this can be generalized to everyone with depression, ignoring a wide range of different levels and causes for depression in various people and groups (biochemistry, genetics, epigenetics, trauma, etc.). Also, believe it or not, I have treated people who had your perspective but became enlightened when it happened to them or someone close to them. Pretty easy to make attribution errors when you don't understand the whole picture and haven't experienced it.

Back