Media Dustin Poirier teasing potential fight news

Title-shot next for El Diamante?

• Total voters
How in the fuck did he leapfrog the guy who headkick KOed him in their fight a few months back?

This is some silly shit, particularly if Gaethje wins at 300, where he is the favorite.
Poirier is and always will be my boy, and I rooted for him vs Gaetchjkhe both times, but your point is on-point. UFC needs to turn down the "BS Title Shots" several notches. It's unbecoming.

Poirier is and always will be my boy, and I rooted for him vs Gaetchjkhe both times, but your point is on-point. UFC needs to turn down the "BS Title Shots" several notches. It's unbecoming.
I have been a Poirier fan since the fightville documentary which I believe aired in his WEC days, or right around his UFC debut. Love the dude, love his fight style, his attitude, the grace with which he has handled loss and victory...

But he was koed then fought a guy well outside the top 5. Also in principle it pisses me off that Gaethje is being passed over and punished for taking a big fight to help the company have a successful 300 instead of sitting on the sidelines which would have netted him a title shot. That sends the wrong message.

Lastly, Islam is not a busy fighter and I have little faith that he would turnaround in reasonable time should he and Gaethje win their respective fights.

Last edited:
I really do think the bottom line is that UFC will not book this fight. They need to ensure Islam can fight at Abu Dabi headliner.

Again it's my opinion and might still happen, but I don't see it.

So the Diamond backed into a shot. Justin , Charles, and Arman all have fights so I guess it makes sense but still he should be at least 4th in line

He very well may get the next title shot but I don't think he deserves it. From a business standpoint, however, I can see the argument though; at his age with the current strength in the division, he may never be in title contention again, and he's a very popular fighter. If he doesn't get a(nother) title shot now, he very well may never get another one.
I think it was already agreed between poirier and the UFC *BEFORE* the Saint Denis fight..... That Dustin wpuld get one last title shot if he beat Saint Denis. If everyone remembers there was some shenanigans around the booking of the Poirier v Saint Denis fight and I think UFC promised him a title shot if he took the fight and beat Saint Denis. And I think Makhachev had already agreed to fight Poirier before the Saint Denis fight.

Why else would poirier fight No. 12 in the rankings?? FOR A SPECIFIC REWARD..... that's why.... .he was promised a 3rd title shot if he won.

This is my firm belief.

I think it was already agreed between poirier and the UFC *BEFORE* the Saint Denis fight..... That Dustin wpuld get one last title shot if he beat Saint Denis. If everyone remembers there was some shenanigans around the booking of the Poirier v Saint Denis fight and I think UFC promised him a title shot if he took the fight and beat Saint Denis. And I think Makhachev had already agreed to fight Poirier before the Saint Denis fight.

Why else would poirier fight No. 12 in the rankings?? FOR A SPECIFIC REWARD..... that's why.... .he was promised a 3rd title shot if he won.

This is my firm belief.
That's actually a brilliant point -- I forgot how close the fight was to not happening. It wouldn't surprise me if this was the case.

Cory vs OMalley would be such a fun fight.

Cory ain't getting any younger, he is on a streak that I believe includes beating Chuto and he is such a likeable and well spoken dude. Gonna make a great coach one day.
Cory vs Omalley is a fight that should happen.. it will be pure BS if it does not.

Only worries me that NCAA div 1 Cory could show up and grapplefuck his way to decision. Which would be funny so thinking it twice I would not care.

So Gaethje knocks him out, then Gaethje has to fight someone else. Dustin gets 1 win and gets a title shot before Gaethje?
Fuck this organisation

I have been a Poirier fan since the fightville documentary which I believe aired in his WEC days, or right around his UFC debut. Love the dude, love his fight style, his attitude, the grace with which he has handled loss and victory...

But he was koed then fought a guy well outside the top 5. Also in principle it pisses me off that Gaethje is being passed over and punished for taking a big fight to help the company have a successful 300 instead of sitting on the sidelines which would have netted him a title shot. That sends the wrong message.

Lastly, Islam is not a busy fighter and I have little faith that he would turnaround in reasonable time should he and Gaethje win their respective fights.
All this. We are in agreement.
Also, anything could happen, but I don't see Justin having much success vs Islam. Would love for a mix-up at the top though.

There is no other fight to make than Poirier vs Islam right now so let's do it

I can't see him being willing to get back into camp this quickly unless it was something big and worth the effort. Seems like it's likely to be the Islam fight. Not really the most deserving guy for it, but i'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy he got it. That being said I expect Islam to get the sub, but I just like DP so much i'm happy to see him get one more crack at it. One of the few guys i have fanboy vibes for.

Gotta be Islam. Can't see Dustin fighting anyone below Dariush in the rankings after finally doing one against BSD. And #PaidInFull sounds like he got paid with the title opportunity for his hard work.

How in the fuck did he leapfrog the guy who headkick KOed him in their fight a few months back?

This is some silly shit, particularly if Gaethje wins at 300, where he is the favorite.
That’s on Justin for taking a fight in the interim.

So we want to punish activity and reward sitting out?

Awesome.
But if Islam has to wait for Justin, wouldn’t that be inactivity? Why not take a fight in the interim? If Justin wins, he’s getting the TS anyway. Who exactly do you think is getting punished in this scenario?

But if Islam has to wait for Justin, wouldn’t that be inactivity? Why not take a fight in the interim? If Justin wins, he’s getting the TS anyway. Who exactly do you think is getting punished in this scenario?
Gaethje is fighting a few weeks after Poirier and knocked him out in their last fight.

All of the sudden Islam is available, but only for the guy who is 1-1 in the last 2, with a KO loss and a non top 5 win, not the guy who handed him the KO loss?
Who does he think he is, Conor?

If Islam can fight Poirier, he can fight Gaethje.

If Islam had shown he could fight frequently and this wad truly a stay busy fight and there was any reason to believe he will quickly turn around after he inevitably subs Dustin... cool, but that is not the case. Dude has had the belt a year and a half and hasn't defended against a LW yet.

Dude has had the belt a year and a half and hasn't defended against a LW yet.

Pitiful AF, zero "champion" credibility for staying hidden in his own division.​

Back