Dutch Style answers to thai style

Salahudin Shazlee

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I have noticed that many dutch kickboxers I.e. hamicha, ozcan etc. would rather use their rear arm to block switch kicks in orthodox vs orthodox match ups rather than rear leg check.

From a thai perspective this isn't desirable to my knowledge as kicking someone's arms hurts less than shin on shin

Or is this simply a trade off for something else and perhaps there's another benefit to the dutch/K1 style over thai style?

Looking forward to replies

Is there any benefits to the dutch style of kick defence.

Arm blocks aren't really considered a block in Muay Thai as you can still take damage to the arm. Thai's will just keep kicking the arms to wear them out, and they will be scoring.

For Kickboxing it really depends on the judge and isn't quite as clear cut when they consider it a score or a block. Mostly they are considered blocks though.

One benefit of blocking this way is if you want to follow up with combination punches you are in better position to do so versus a mid kick check.

Last edited:
I have noticed that many dutch kickboxers I.e. hamicha, ozcan etc. would rather use their rear arm to block switch kicks in orthodox vs orthodox match ups rather than rear leg check.

From a thai perspective this isn't desirable to my knowledge as kicking someone's arms hurts less than shin on shin

Or is this simply a trade off for something else and perhaps there's another benefit to the dutch/K1 style over thai style?

Looking forward to replies

Is there any benefits to the dutch style of kick defence.
Basically I agree with Snubnoze and what you said. As I understand it: Blocking with a check is a scoring event and valued in Muay Thai. In regular kickboxing I think a block of any kind is viewed the same.
I've never been kicked by a pro (or, I have, but not with them actually trying to hurt me) but I can tell you that in my experience I'd personally rather block with my glove (especially) and arm than with my shin. At my gym they definitely try to get you to position your glove as taking the main brunt of the blow. Also generally a rear check is more difficult balance wise in my experience so it would make sense that you use that check less.
I think Gabriel Varga talked a little about this in one of his videos, although I can't remember which.

Are there any benefits for a dutch stance rather than a thai stance?

The only thing I can think off is that it's easier to bounce around and to slip or at least thats my experience, thoughts?

Are there any benefits for a dutch stance rather than a thai stance?

The only thing I can think off is that it's easier to bounce around and to slip or at least thats my experience, thoughts?
It’s not really about small pros and cons between the styles.
Both are completely different styles and result in a different fighter, as both styles require years of training to master

I'd rather block with my knee than my shin or arm.
What do you mean knee? Like the patella?

When I say shin I refer to the tibia bone. Not sure how you would block with the knee.

Taking a kick to the arm hurts a lot. I'd rather block with my shin than take it on the arm.
When I'm using an arm/ x-block as we call it in my camp, the aim is to catch brunt of the kick's force in palm of the opposite hand. Countering with punches tend to be quicker from this x-block.

Checking the body kick and then using the momentum from the drop-down of that leg to bounce back a counter kick is preferable in Muay Thai and scores well.

Same for leg kicks.

When I say shin I refer to the tibia bone. Not sure how you would block with the knee.
I think it depends. I met instructors who couldn't speak English well. They would refer to it as Khao Bang and the word roughly translates to knee block.

They did want the block to land on the upper part of the tibia close to knee. It's something I never really clarified because of the language barrier.

Front of the knee / knee cap. Of course it depends on where the kick is targeted at but generally I find it easier to block with the knee cap / top of the shin than with the lower part of the shin, especially for round house kicks to the body.

I think it depends. I met instructors who couldn't speak English well. They would refer to it as Khao Bang and the word roughly translates to knee block.

They did want the block to land on the upper part of the tibia close to knee. It's something I never really clarified because of the language barrier.

Exactly this!

Front of the knee / knee cap. Of course it depends on where the kick is targeted at but generally I find it easier to block with the knee cap / top of the shin than with the lower part of the shin, especially for round house kicks to the body.
I hate when people do this in sparring. I had my whole leg go completely numb kicking someone blocking like this before, and other nerve damage to my shin other times. Takes forever to heal.

Obviously completely fine for a fight just make sure you aren't injuring your sparring partners.

I hate when people do this in sparring. I had my whole leg go completely numb kicking someone blocking like this before, and other nerve damage to my shin other times. Takes forever to heal.

Obviously completely fine for a fight just make sure you aren't injuring your sparring partners.

I'm obviously not using it during sparring and funnily enough it's actually during sparring in my Kyokushin days that I found out how efficient it was when someone blocked my low kick with their knee which created a shin bone bruise / bump on my shin. Since then I realised it's a much more efficient way of blocking than with the shin but I'm not enough a dickhead to do that to sparring partners unless we're going light/slow and then I can practice it.

Back