Eddie Alvarez doesn't like Michael Chandler's chances against Gaethje: "Terrible Matchup"

he's only 10-8 as a D1, compared to Gathje whose 6-6 as a D1, the difference also is in their MMA career trajectories. He kind of pales in comparison to Gathje hence Eddie's comment, everything he's good at Gathje is a lot better at.

Not in BJJ and the capability and confidence to attempt offensive TD's and not gas or fear from gassing from them.

Granted it does take a lot of punishment for Justin to finally go down compared to Chandler but I still don't see Justin having a chin advantage maybe a recovery advantage. I think their chin is damn near dead even.
Time will tell but I see Chandler being dropped by shots other guys would normally take without much issue.

Agreed. Both have big power, but Gaethje has the chin advantage, and that will be the difference maker.
Or Chandled just take him down and submitt him, the novice grappler Gaethje being.

They match-up pretty good. I would’ve favoured Chandler over the brawler, but the new and calculated Gaethje is a motherfucker to deal with.

Time will tell but I see Chandler being dropped by shots other guys would normally take without much issue.
I can't lie that could very likely be the case. I can see Beneil knocking out Chandler more so than Beneil knocking out Justin but that can be recency bias on my part.

Granted it does take a lot of punishment for Justin to finally go down compared to Chandler but I still don't see Justin having a chin advantage maybe a recovery advantage. I think their chin is damn near dead even.
Michael Chandler has wrestlers jitsu. He's submitted submission guys before but I don't think he's submitting gaethje. Unless he cracks gaethje then tries to catch him in a submission or something. I don't expect Chandler to have the strength nor grappling IQ to counter a sprawl, have the strength to pull in gaethjes hips as he mounts gaethje and put a hook in, and somehow get a rnc. I don't see it happening.

I think oliveira is more dangerous In that regard because of his reactive takedowns and ground game. I don't believe Michael Chandler is that technically sound that gaethje wouldn't be back to his feet. I also don't think he's have the ability to wrestle for more than a round a half with Gaethje before gassing out. If gaethje gives him one good leg kick, he won't have the ability to wrestle either.

You won't like to hear this. You might even think I'm being an UFC shill. But gaethjes tdd> Chandler's takedown defense.

Gaethje successfully sprawled on khabib. Khabib just countered it.

NegligibleUnfoldedCreature-size_restricted.gif

Chandler isn't going to do this. Not in his skillset. Neither is wrestling against the fence.

Chandler only has two chokes, arm triangle and rnc. Gaethje would be okay
Really hate how people shit on Justin for this loss.
Dude had very good moments on the feet, he just ran into prime Khabib. No one was beating Khabib that night.

Or Chandled just take him down and submitt him, the novice grappler Gaethje being.
I think this is fantasy if you think Chandler can easily take gaethje down. And expecting Chandler to keep that pace necessary to take him down once he was tired. Chandler would gas if he put the same pressure khabib put on gaethje. He has a stance similiar to fw Conor, bladed constantly bouncing around

Michael Chandler has wrestlers jitsu. He's submitted submission guys before but I don't think he's submitting gaethje. Unless he cracks gaethje then tries to catch him in a submission or something. I don't expect Chandler to have the strength nor grappling IQ to counter a sprawl, have the strength to pull in gaethjes hips as he mounts gaethje and put a hook in, and somehow get a rnc. I don't see it happening.

I think oliveira is more dangerous In that regard because of his reactive takedowns and ground game. I don't believe Michael Chandler is that technically sound that gaethje wouldn't be back to his feet. I also don't think he's have the ability to wrestle for more than a round a half with Gaethje before gassing out. If gaethje gives him one good leg kick, he won't have the ability to wrestle either.

I pretty much agree with everything aside from Chandler not having grappling IQ to counter his sprawl. Chandler's time training with Usman previously and currently having Burns I can bet he's capable of doing so but I would pick Justin to beat him though.

Eddie nearly always picks wrong so my money is on Chandler in this matchup.

Isn't what you just described a chin advantage? If it takes more damage to drop Justin, that's a chin advantage.

I pretty much agree with everything aside from Chandler not having grappling IQ to counter his sprawl. Chandler's time training with Usman previously and currently having Burns I can bet he's capable of doing so but I would pick Justin to beat him though.
He can train with whomever. We haven't seen it in a fight. Fatigue plays a role. Even if he did have the IQ, which I disagree that he does, he wouldn't have the gas tank to do that with the type of pace he sets in his fights. He's explosive but he not only has to counter the sprawl but reverse it. What khabib did was no small task. Chandler's chain wrestling at 35? Eh I don't know.

I'm not saying it has to be exactly like that but gaethje is a wrestler too. It's not going to be easy and it's going to be very taxing. More so for Chandler than gaethje. Gaethje can fight tired. Chandler is a whole different fighter when he's tired. At 35 I don't see it.

Gaethje also trains with Usman know who can give gaethje pointers on Chandler's grappling.

I'll watch the fight. Chandler had Charles on queer street so can't write him off. Lots of punching power. I would pick Justin to win however.

Khabib is the only guy who has been able to do that - that doesn't mean Chandler can.

Lol, Eddie is yet another fighter who knows dick about predicting fights but hes finally right about this one. Chandler fights any of these top guys- 2nd straight loss. Dan Hooker is overrated and played the part of fools gold .
Dan Hooker would beat Gaethje in my opinion. Chandler is the only one in the top 10 I see Gaethje to be the favorite against. That and he already beat Tony.

I think JG definitely take this
but it wouldnt be some blowout win

Chandler is solid top 10 fighter and can give
anybody tough fight

Back