Edson Barboza breaks his silence and talks about the fight against Khabib Nurmagomedov

Bumblebeef

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
”I really didn’t expect that to happen, man,” Barboza told MMA Fighting. “I was very upset the week after the fight because I was well prepared, had a wonderful camp. It was a tough loss, no doubt about it.”

”It was pretty much how we imagined it,” he continued. “I knew he wouldn’t take me down in the middle of the Octagon. I knew that his only chance to take me down was close to the fence, so I obviously worked that a lot, but he was able to impose his game, and I couldn’t get out of there. That was the problem. I fell in his game, I spent 15 minutes doing his game.”

”Honestly, I didn’t expect that,” Barboza admits. “He walked backwards in all of his previous fights before he went for takedowns. I was prepared for it, but I thought he would do what he always did, to avoid the striking. It surprised me that he moved forward.”

”I was aware of what was happening the entire time, and I believed it until the end,” the Brazilian said. “Things were going wrong but I kept thinking, ‘Brother, if he gives me a chance I’ll finish the fight.’ I remember everything that happened that night.”

”If my corners had stopped the fight, I probably would have fought them all,” he said. “They know me really well, they know what I can handle. I’ve trained with millions of different people, the best boxers in New Jersey and Philadelphia, and they never knocked me down. They know me, they know what I can take, and they knew I could win at any moment.”

”I’m already training hard,” said Barboza, who will help his teammate Frankie Edgar prepare for a UFC 222 title fight with Max Holloway on March 3. “I want to fight.”

”I’m still among the best in the rankings, so I want to fight someone as close as possible to me,” Barboza said. “The dream continues. I want my chance for the belt, I want to be champion. The only way I’ll get there is by taking down these guys close to me in the ranking.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/1/...gomedov-wants-quick-return-against-top-10-ufc

Edson is a warrior. He will be back.

He showed serious heart in that fight.

Dude was winging spinning shit all the way till the end.

”It was pretty much how we imagined it,”

/

"Honestly, I didn’t expect that,” Barboza admits. “He walked backwards.... / It surprised me that he moved forward"

Yeah its in the middle vs. the fence etc, but still..

Last edited:
He is still legit a top 5, I rewatched the Tony fight and that upkick really killed his momentum, I would like to see a rematch

"I spent 15 minutes doing his game"

TRANSLATION:

I spent 15 minutes eating his punches.

No excuses, plain explaining, still motivated.

Hespect.

He looked good getting absolutely molested for the entire duration of the fight

It's gonna take a someone with a strong counter game to KO Khabib. He'll give you the opportunity when he walks you down, you just have to have the right timing and power.

I'm sure Barboza can beat Tony on the rematch...but Khabib, no.

If you have been around for a while, you know no one at LW has that amount of great names in their resumees
Yes he lost sometimes, but never ducked anyone and always came to fight, respect, no matter what i'm forever a fan, war Barboza!

b0e046072a87f51bddaf8875aa8d74d0.png

23a6be26a3802578941cb4ec85578ecd.png

I knew this was a easy fight for Khabib, they gave him a guy with terrible takedown defense and ground game. It might even be that terrible but once he hits the ground he breaks.

lol @ "breaks his silence"

So melodramatic. Like the "world" was waiting to hear what he had to say

Show us on the doll, where the eagle touched you..

”Honestly, I didn’t expect that,” Barboza admits. “He walked backwards in all of his previous fights before he went for takedowns. I was prepared for it, but I thought he would do what he always did, to avoid the striking. It surprised me that he moved forward.”

Seriously?

Come on.

Edson had lost about every damn fight he had lost by being WALKED DOWN.

He should expect it always....

Man I respect Edson's warrior spirit but I wish his corner did throw in the towel. That fight was over after the 1st round and Khabib just took years off his life with that brutal beatdown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zygmunt
Back