Effect of Big Calves, Thighs in absorbing lowkicks

I doubt Kickboxers are taking them then, as the sport is bone on bone contact non stop and there isn't an issue with breaks.
Tyrone Spoong got popped for clomiphene, he also broke his leg. So it does happen, but as far as combat sports go it's one of the cleaner ones.

<WellThere>

always cool to see big guys like that with the flexibility to throw head kicks. one more for fun:

UFC160-JDSXMarkHunt-Rd3-2c-Slomo-side-KO-400-sg.gif

I love that before that fight, he'd never even thrown a kick. There's no real way to prepare for the dedicated MMA boxer to suddenly throw a spin kick at you

I love that before that fight, he'd never even thrown a kick. There's no real way to prepare for the dedicated MMA boxer to suddenly throw a spin kick at you
if before the fight, someone had told me JDS would not only land a head kick, but a spinning one, I would've laughed and walked out the room! that's one of the fun things about MMA, when fighters add a new tool and surprise us. old dogs learning a new trick i guess

if before the fight, someone had told me JDS would not only land a head kick, but a spinning one, I would've laughed and walked out the room! that's one of the fun things about MMA, when fighters add a new tool and surprise us. old dogs learning a new trick i guess
Absolutely, I remember watching it live like 'wtf'

Tyrone Spoong got popped for clomiphene, he also broke his leg. So it does happen, but as far as combat sports go it's one of the cleaner ones.
Eh, I wouldn't say Kickboxing is a clean sport, and I'm an avid fan and have been for decades. Correlation doesn't mean causation in the case of Spong.

No amount of shin conditioning will be able to prevent the possibility of that type of injury.

I don't use the Thai round kick but I do train the 'knee check' defence to it using the very solid upper part of the shin bone near the knee to damage the incoming leg and deter more.
The lower shin is not designed to make that kind of impact to a solid area like that.

I have heard that it is considered unsporting in Thailand which may be since you don't want to injure people if they are actively competing as a profession.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/12...ick-check-break-shin-knee-spike-mma-technique

I.e. when Anderson Silva broke his leg

Eh, I wouldn't say Kickboxing is a clean sport, and I'm an avid fan and have been for decades. Correlation doesn't mean causation in the case of Spong.

I'd say kickboxing at one time was drug city, K1 used to encourage it - nowadays it's not as big and there isn't as much money on the line, so I imagine its probably cleaner now than it used to be - but i don't know this for sure

Nah it wouldn't have done anything, the same thing happened to Ray Sefo and Tyrone Spong too, and they didn't exactly have thin legs.

1470376875786.jpg

97800e180a771763e0a6d989bfe72e4f.jpg

The reason it happened to these guys, was a mix of bad luck and a lack of shin conditioning, it was a freak accident each time, but you don't tend to see this happening to Muay Thai fighters who spend a lot of time kicking the bag and pads full power, specifically to condition their shins. Obviously these guys (who's names all begin with S for some reason) have more conditioned shins than say, a boxer or the average MMA fighter, but Silva still had to spend a lot of his training grappling, and kickboxers tend to put more focus on punching than kicking in K-1/Glory settings.

"Shin conditioning"

@Kanka might want to unpackage that for him

Last edited:
muscle growth has a ceiling based on bone and tendon size, i think?

i would say that there is probably a correlation between big leg muscles and bigger leg bones, and the bigger bones would be harder to break.

That said, ive sparred with skinny guys with impossibly hard and tough shins and quads. Impossible to hurt them, hurt me every time kinda thing. Ive also dropped a buddy of mine who has the biggest, strongest legs of anyone i know with four low kicks. He had never kickboxed (and was fucking me up with punches).

Id say conditioning is the biggest ingredient, but im pretty sure having bigger bones is an advantage in shin on shin contact.

I'd say kickboxing at one time was drug city, K1 used to encourage it - nowadays it's not as big and there isn't as much money on the line, so I imagine its probably cleaner now than it used to be - but i don't know this for sure
It may be slightly cleaner since the bulk of the sport isn't huge heavyweights fighting in Japan anymore, but it's still prevalent just like other combat sports, and the testing in Kickboxing is very poor. You don't hear about failed tests until nearly 2 years later in this sport if at all, and their has been multiple recent failings announced as well.

id bet the house that Silva had a small, minute spiral fracture going into that fight. The check from Weidman just sealed the deal on his damaged bone

I've watched the fight a few times and it looks like he micro-fractured his leg 1 or 2 kicks before the one that snapped it in half. Silva looked fine for most of the fight, but a couple kicks before the end he started looking a bit off.

Wait, but you stated "I didn't mean shin conditioning I meant LEGS" then edited your post after. Now its back to shin conditioning? For impacts to the calf muscle?

I was clearly implying the same thing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back