Crime El Salvador had a lower homicide rate than the US in 2023

They just rounded up every criminal and put them in jail, without any real due process.

The results are easy to duplicate but not if you want any semblance of a legitimate criminal justice system.

Our system is supposed to be based on the idea that we'd rather a criminal go free than an innocent person go to jail and we still get mistakes. When the system is we'd rather an innocent go to jail than a criminal go free, you're going to get a lot less criminals on the street and lot more mistakes.

They just rounded up every criminal and put them in jail, without any real due process.

The results are easy to duplicate but not if you want any semblance of a legitimate criminal justice system.

Our system is supposed to be based on the idea that we'd rather a criminal go free than an innocent person go to jail and we still get mistakes. When the system is we'd rather an innocent go to jail than a criminal go free, you're going to get a lot less criminals on the street and lot more mistakes.
How do they know they are criminals?

Depends where in each and what you value. Of the two i'd recommend Colombia (I'm biased as wifey is half) but more Cartagena, Barichara, and/or Medellin.
I was supposed to go to Cartagena a few years ago I plan to this year, I choose that over Medellin because of the beach. I haven't been to as many countries as you have but a bunch for my tourism, work is a different story. Have you been to Cape Town and Joh? if so what is your preference

They literally rounded up the criminals and anyone with visible tattoos (seen as gang related)
Dude I work with goes back on missionary trips through the 7th day advents.
He asked people and most people are happy with the result even though they know not everyone was part of the problem. Although my understanding was criminals comprised the majority of these instant prisoners.

It is not surprising that Bukele is so popular in El Salvador, possibly the most popular president in Latin America atm.

We already have due process, we have many people with multiple violent offenses on their record walking the streets due to prison overcrowding and pathetic DA/judges. This just shows that removing criminals from society works, which is the exact opposite of what many liberal institutions in this country have been preaching. They say we need more costly multigenerational investments in education, healthcare, welfare, employment opportunities, etc. and crime will eventually decrease (I guess over a few decades hoping for the new generation of kids to have changed their ways despite still living in a high crime area). Even though we have already given the crime-ridden areas of our country decades of welfare, free healthcare, social housing, etc. and the results have yet to be seen.

Yet El Salvador did the exact opposite, they just threw criminals in prison and then built bigger prisons when those got full and they have made the biggest shift in crime in a country we may have ever seen in human history barring a war ending. Maybe it's time for the liberal intellectuals in our country to reconsider their stance on incarcerating career criminals.

I'm sure the innocent people rotting in jail are very happy.

Probably extremely rare and if widespread would’ve left a mark in Bukele’s popularity by now.

The vast majority of MS-13 and Barrio 18 members quite literally have “MS-13 or Barrio 18 member” tattooed on their face and over their body lol.

Easiest discriminate round up in history. The mistakes are few and far between.

The numbers don’t lie. The United States now has a bigger Salvadoran gang problem than El Salvador

They all moved to America.

images
None of those people are from El Salvador.

Good for El Salvador and bad for America. You can't stay on top forever.

It was a gigantic Rico case founded on a vulnerability of ms13 and 18th - all the footsoldiers wear tattoos. they didn't get the bigshots in jail, but those are probably not even in the country, more likely in Miami or some european beach.

How do they know they are criminals?
They don't. They basically arrested anyone who appears to have gang affiliations. It's more complex than that but also not more complex than that. They arrested over 75,000 people in a pretty short amount of time.

They literally rounded up the criminals and anyone with visible tattoos (seen as gang related)
Dude I work with goes back on missionary trips through the 7th day advents.
He asked people and most people are happy with the result even though they know not everyone was part of the problem. Although my understanding was criminals comprised the majority of these instant prisoners.
I didn't say anyone was unhappy. I just think it's pointless to discuss it in the context of the US because there's no parallel in the "how".

But considering that they had to release 5000 people already would suggest that there's a decent number of innocent people caught up in this who are unhappy or whose family members are unhappy. Or maybe they're fine with their imprisonment because they agree with the larger goal. I obviously have no idea.

EGHfdCKU4AAm7B3.jpg

We already have due process, we have many people with multiple violent offenses on their record walking the streets due to prison overcrowding and pathetic DA/judges. This just shows that removing criminals from society works, which is the exact opposite of what many liberal institutions in this country have been preaching. They say we need more costly multigenerational investments in education, healthcare, welfare, employment opportunities, etc. and crime will eventually decrease (I guess over a few decades hoping for the new generation of kids to have changed their ways despite still living in a high crime area). Even though we have already given the crime-ridden areas of our country decades of welfare, free healthcare, social housing, etc. and the results have yet to be seen.

Yet El Salvador did the exact opposite, they just threw criminals in prison and then built bigger prisons when those got full and they have made the biggest shift in crime in a country we may have ever seen in human history barring a war ending. Maybe it's time for the liberal intellectuals in our country to reconsider their stance on incarcerating career criminals.
You sound insane and I'm sure it's intentional because you think it makes you edgy or cool or something equally irrelevant once we log off our computers.

Is the need to reduce everything to liberal vs. conservative so overwhelming that we don't even bother discussing things in the context of the larger constitutional framework which should underpin our society?

They don't. They basically arrested anyone who appears to have gang affiliations. It's more complex than that but also not more complex than that. They arrested over 75,000 people in a pretty short amount of time.
They seemed to have a pretty good hit rate.

You sound insane and I'm sure it's intentional because you think it makes you edgy or cool or something equally irrelevant once we log off our computers.

Is the need to reduce everything to liberal vs. conservative so overwhelming that we don't even bother discussing things in the context of the larger constitutional framework which should underpin our society?
This is literally a left vs right issue because that's what each party has generally supported. The DAs that are being appointed in democratic strongholds are the ones who are lax on punishing crime. The judges in these leftist strongholds are the ones giving slaps on the wrists. There is no better fitting descriptor of where these policies come from other than liberal institutions.

The Constitution doesn't say anything about not punishing criminals.

do you honestly think they made mistakes?

they knew what they were doing, they targeted gangs, not law abiding citizens.

in your world OJ getting off was justice.

It's about damn time tattoos were outlawed. Back in the day the only people with tattoos were sailors, convicts, and circus freaks, and that made sense - you knew to keep your distance. In America it's the opposite, all these tattoo riddled degenerates are on TV treated like super stars.

The most disturbing part is that even Republicans are starting to embrace it. I see people photocopying tattoos on Trumps face acting like that is "cool". It's an outrage is what it is.

I would venture to say under reporting could be an issue. El Salvador is a very violent country (not that we are not) and the violence stems from extreme poverty, war, and narcotics/very violent gangs. But I simply don’t believe their murder rate would drop so precipitously with nothing changing. Personally I believe that the books are cooked orirders are under reported. Oh, and half the country is in nyc or Chicago

Wdym nothing changing?

They overhauled their whole system and built massive jails to house every single person even related to crime. They went full China style lol

Back