Elon Musk Agrees to $44b Deal for Twitter

I work in FAANG. Things are definitely NOT on the up and up. It’s a bad time to enter the market, however if I was at Twitter I’d take the severance and look in Jan or Feb of next year when headcount releases.

Headcount doesn’t land for companies until mid-Q1. Zero chance good workers are sticking around at Twitter if they have to do 3x the work for same pay. It’s never going to work out for Elon.

I can’t imagine he’ll ever be able to hire anyone there again in that environment. My money, knowing this space so well, is Twitter dies a slow death in under 3 years.
You're an idiot! Elon is the richest man on earth! He's going to turn twitter into the most powerful app in the universe because electric cars and space exploration! You're just a nobody!! /S

Do you really believe the smartest people In the world are the ones with a lot of money?
Nikolai Tesla died a poor man, was he dumb because he was poor?
Knowing how to use other people's money to your advantage, and taking a lot of risk requires courage and perseverance and a whole lot of luck. Musk has failed to deliver on a ton of promises in the past, but Tesla and SpaceX are such big entities that he could afford to fail at those other things. He has put a lot of money into Twitter, including Tesla stock, and he fired half the employees before several hundreds more took severance. Do you honestly think the remaining 20 or so percent of employees can do the work of the entire workforce from two weeks ago? Do you think the company still has the knowledge and skills to do properly what it used to do? Are you really that dense?
Trimming the fat is not a death sentence,
Often, leaning out a company can make it more efficient, and profitable..

The guy trimmed the fat, chopped off both arms, left one leg, removed the spleen and liver. Now he's telling it to run the marathon and paint a house.

They started out with 7500 employees. Now it's estimated at 1500. You can't tell me that 20% of employees can do all the work. You don't have 20% of all teams left either. You have entire engineering teams gone. If something goes wrong, who is going to fix it?
I know you worked in construction. Imagine you managed a construction company of 100 people and you build commercial buildings. You have a team of carpenters, plumbers, electricians, HVAC, and roofers. You decide to cut your workforce the way Elon did (mass cuts + voluntarily leave with severance option. You end up with a few carpenters, 2 electricians, 90% of the original roofers (because there aren't many roofing jobs atm), and all the HVAC guys left. You have the same deliverables and timelines. Your company is losing money every day. You now have to install a central air systems with no one to do it. You ask electricians to take a crash course online on installing HVAC systems, but now they can't do electrical work on your other jobs. The roofers are there but they don't know anything about electrical, wiring and duct systems etc. They're willing to learn but there is nobody there to teach them. Everyone gathers around lunch time and talks about how retarder their boss is for his maneuvers while he locks himself in his office and shit talks people online. This is what is happening at Twitter

The guy trimmed the fat, chopped off both arms, left one leg, removed the spleen and liver. Now he's telling it to run the marathon and paint a house.

They started out with 7500 employees. Now it's estimated at 1500. You can't tell me that 20% of employees can do all the work. You don't have 20% of all teams left either. You have entire engineering teams gone. If something goes wrong, who is going to fix it?
I know you worked in construction. Imagine you managed a construction company of 100 people and you build commercial buildings. You have a team of carpenters, plumbers, electricians, HVAC, and roofers. You decide to cut your workforce the way Elon did (mass cuts + voluntarily leave with severance option. You end up with a few carpenters, 2 electricians, 90% of the original roofers (because there aren't many roofing jobs atm), and all the HVAC guys left. You have the same deliverables and timelines. Your company is losing money every day. You now have to install a central air systems with no one to do it. You ask electricians to take a crash course online on installing HVAC systems, but now they can't do electrical work on your other jobs. The roofers are there but they don't know anything about electrical, wiring and duct systems etc. They're willing to learn but there is nobody there to teach them. Everyone gathers around lunch time and talks about how retarder their boss is for his maneuvers while he locks himself in his office and shit talks people online. This is what is happening at Twitter

Should be any day now that Twitter puts the Gone Fishing sign on the door for good..

Also, I read that the entire pay and compensation team left. They can hire emergency workers through hiring firms and consulting companies, but the set up can take several days or weeks, then they have to learn the systems before working them. What happens when people don't get paid, or mistakes start to happen on people's pay?

dunno why people losing their minds over twitter laying off lots of people. Lots of companies are laying off many people right now

Should be any day now that Twitter puts the Gone Fishing sign on the door for good..
Elon talked about bankruptcy in his first address to his employees. Knowing what I know about Elon though, there is some truth to It, possibly a bit exaggerated, but wants to light a fire under people to work harder. It works when you work for one of his companies breaking ground and changing the world (like Tesla and SpaceX). It doesn't work when there is a new ownership change and some prick who publicly talked shit about your company for months and tried to back out of the deal waltzes in and says "ok now we need you to sacrifice your time, work-life balance and mental health right before the holidays so we can salvage this thing"

dunno why people losing their minds over twitter laying off lots of people. Lots of companies are laying off many people right now
Show me the Meta "you need to work hardcore for Meta 2.0 but I won't tell you what that is or what the payoff will be in the end, or you can take the severance" email

I can’t imagine he’ll ever be able to hire anyone there again in that environment. My money, knowing this space so well, is Twitter dies a slow death in under 3 years.

Why can't twitter employees be mostly in India?

You still dont get it. NO outrage just dunking on Elon.
Elon worked himself into a shoot, overpaid for a social media site that never made any money. Ever wonder why the board was like hell yeah, when Elon made his offer. They knew he over paid as well. I had no problem with him cutting staff, he needed too because Twitter loses money. Everything after that has been a serious of follies, which due to his hubris has been all his fault.
LIke 95% of his revenue is generated through ad dollars and he thought it was a good idea for his advertisers or potential advertisers to get trolled. Some even asked legit questions of him, and since Elon is soft as warm butter, he banned their accounts. He might be able to make money but not the way he is going. Dont forget he leveraged all his Telsa stock to buy it, and Tesla stock has been dropping. Who do you think buys Telsa's, it aint dudes that cheer him on for triggering libs. It has been an all-around fuck up, and I am here to laugh at every misstep while watching his fan bois, defend bad decision after bad decision. Elon buying Twitter has been a nice gift for me, just to watch him burn it into the ground and get mocked while doing it.

None of this is why you're actually dunking on Musk for. lol Stop it. I personally couldn't care less what happens with Twitter. If Twitter burnt completely to the ground and he lost every penny of the 44B he spent, I would laugh. Dude will still be worth 200B. I couldn't care less about Tesla and it's stocks either. I also don't even find Musk himself all that interesting. But the idea (whether he succeeded or not) of ending the leftist safe space on Twitter causing this ridiculous freak out is something I find hilarious. That's all this is about and that's how all this started. None of you actually care about the Twitter employees or Twitter's stock price. None of you actually care about him "attacking" free speech or the "hypocrisy" he's shown. Just lol at that excuse.

The reaction I’ve seen on twitter is like 95% laughing and joking around recent events. I think you must follow or seek out a lot of Karen content which says more about you than anything…

I see enough of it on here.

Rob, how do you see the future of Twitter?
Unless Elon concedes control of the CEO role and the proceeding CEO doesn’t adhere to his frenetic changes it will undoubtedly fail.

Working at Tesla and having that be the ground up mentality, along with the absurd stock rewards of such a highly profitable and future oriented company, will allow top talent to still be interested in working there.

Twitter has none of that. It wasn’t an engineering powerhouse in the industry to begin with. It certainly will never have tremendous upside with equity compensation and now the publicity is horrendous. Any talent they retain is unlikely to be “top talent” and Elon already fired most of the recruiters.

SO — if you had piss poor recruiters(and so few of them), a horrid public image AND poor total rewards package — you won’t compete for high quality engineers. No amount of overworked underpaid engineers are going to accomplish much there.

The idea of building “the everything app” is novel, but you can’t do it without good talent and Elon will never have that at Twitter.

unknown.png
<bball2>

I see enough of it on here.

this too has been like 90% jokes and some criticism and this forum is designed for critical discussion so no idea what you’re even saying or even trying to extrapolate from it.

I work in FAANG. Things are definitely NOT on the up and up. It’s a bad time to enter the market, however if I was at Twitter I’d take the severance and look in Jan or Feb of next year when headcount releases.

Headcount doesn’t land for companies until mid-Q1. Zero chance good workers are sticking around at Twitter if they have to do 3x the work for same pay. It’s never going to work out for Elon.

I mean, FAANG with meta alone wouldn’t be the up and up. I mean tech overall from what that guy was posting. There’s been a lot of mass layoffs in the news this year but it looks like the industry overall is still adding jobs. It does look like some of the larger ones are now expected to become more profitable and their doing cuts as a result. I bet next year could be worse but that other post seems to show the industry still grew their workforce.

Back