Rewatch Erceg beat Pantoja

Pantoja won but Erceg gave him the fight. I think Erceg will win a rematch if he fights smarter.

Pantoja will just adapt like he did against Moreno… he’ll just take him down and wear on him slower next time with smothering top control.

The only reason Erceg was in that fight is because Pantoja was rushing the finish to appease the hometown crowd, he was recklessly hunting submission without position.

Pantonja gotta be one of the most boring champions I've seen
Literally every title fight the same
Get lit the fuck up standing
Take his opponent down, don't gnp or get anywhere close to a submission but control for enough time he gets the decision
Once he loses the belt he will never get a rematch

Vinny E-Cigs clearly won, but Brazil.....Is Normal.

I encourage you to watch the fight again paying close attention to round 3. I think that round is clear for Erceg and that's the key round that everybody got wrong. Also listen to the commentary between after round 3 and in round 4. Pantoja almost threw up on the stool and he was diminished in round 4. The guys in the booth were suggesting that it was the heat that might've been getting to Pantoja. Terrible job all around. How about the beating that Erceg was giving Pantoja and that Pantoja was at least slightly concussed.

Nobody is crying. How about watching the fight again Tits and tell me what you think of round 3. We can talk about what specifically you thought Pantoja did to win that round.
I didn’t know that 3 was controversial, it was my gut first time around, damage, not just the cut, but how clean the shots were. Pants was stopped in his tracks so many times, erceg hit harder and much more often

I think the same as most scorecards:
Pantoja 1, 3 & 5.
Erceg 2 & 4.

The 2nd round was the only one that could go either way.

So in my opinion your are hurt and delusional.

He thought he lost. He was wrong and so was his corner. His corner didn't do him any favors by telling him he lost the first 3 rounds. The guys in the booth had it 2-1 Erceg and so did I after rewatching the fight. After the fight, Erceg should've ran around the ring with his hands raised high. He was the cleaner looking fighter. Pantoja's face was a mess and Erceg had more left in the tank when the bell rang.

It was 3-1 Erceg. The key is round 3 and people need to rewatch it to see that Erceg was winning. It was inexperience. DC was right with that call. I didn't expect the fight to be so good.

So, according to you, EVERYONE else was wrong except the possibly intoxicated commentary team, who themselves couldn't even decide who won once it was over, but they were still leaning towards Pantoja. This is the crapass commentary that you've very stubbornly hung your hat on.

I went and rewatched rounds 3 and 5 (even though I didn't really need to, but I wanted to rewatch some other fights from the main card, so I squeezed it in) and there's nothing about either of those rounds that looks like Ecerg should have gotten the 10-9s. Even the 2nd round was close.

Whether Ecerg looked less tired or not when the final bell rang means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING when the judges are scoring a fight round-by-round. This isn't an endurance marathon and your whole analysis of this fight is hilarious. It's almost as bad as listening to some drunk casual at the bar saying "that guy has a cut on his forehead so he lost".

I didn’t know that 3 was controversial, it was my gut first time around, damage, not just the cut, but how clean the shots were. Pants was stopped in his tracks so many times, erceg hit harder and much more often

Ecerg landed one or two damaging strikes and Pantoja kept moving forward with counters, he was not "stopped in his tracks" in the slightest, then proceeded to manhandle Ecreg on the ground. Half of his strikes missed the mark completely. Pantoja wasn't even wobbled.

The greatest change that could be made to MMA judging is simply requiring judges to cite which criteria their score was based on. It is a hierarchical, single criteria based scoring system so the judges are choosing one to give their score. That would be invaluable for everyone to better understand how fights are actually judged because no one understands it today.

Pantonja gotta be one of the most boring champions I've seen
Literally every title fight the same
Get lit the fuck up standing
Take his opponent down, don't gnp or get anywhere close to a submission but control for enough time he gets the decision
Once he loses the belt he will never get a rematch

Uh Pantoja is about the most exciting 1st round fighter there is.
Sounds like you just watched his last 3 fights.

Close fights aren't robberies. The only bad score was 49-46.

Yes, bad decisions ruin the sport, but this isn't one of them. Imagine Ecreg as a champ. A man his size cutting down to 125 is absurd.
Moreno and royval are about as big

Pantoja will just adapt like he did against Moreno… he’ll just take him down and wear on him slower next time with smothering top control.

The only reason Erceg was in that fight is because Pantoja was rushing the finish to appease the hometown crowd, he was recklessly hunting submission without position.

Moreno got his back taken quite a lot. Erceg defended the back take every single time, which resulted in a large part of pantoja's control time actually just being pantoja failing to advance to the back. I don't see pantoja doing much better than he did on saturday night, especially at his age at the flyweight division.

R1 and R5 are clear Pantoja's (Erceg gave him R5 with negative IQ)
R4 is for Erceg
For Erceg to win, he will have to win R2 and R3
His team didn't tell him you are winning after 4 rounds
He didn't look like he thought he won at the end of the fight
I don't understand why people want to act like each close fight is a robbery

If scoring mostly on damage you could definitely make the case that he won

Bro, if it was mostly scored on damage, Pantoja would have had no points and Erceg would have won with just that one elbow that he split Pantoja's head open like a coconut with.

Erceg won the fight. He won rounds 2,3 and 4. Even the rounds Pantoja won was because of control. Round 5 was closer than I thought but I gave it to Pantoja. Erceg landed the more damaging shots even in the 5th round. Pantoja wasn't able to do anything with the control except advance position at times. Erceg beat up Pantoja in rounds 2-5 on the feet. Erceg clearly won that fight. I'm glad I rewatched it so I could see this. Both corners were wrong. They were saying Pantoja won the first 3 rounds. I give credit to the announcers, especially Anik. He mentioned Erceg was possibly winning 2-1 after 3 rounds but was too scared to commit to it. It's one of the reasons why people don't like Anik. He knew the corners were wrong but he's afraid to be controversial. He was right. Erceg was winning after 3 rounds and dominated round 4. Erceg was winning round 5 until he made a couple of mistakes. I encourage everyone to watch this fight again. Erceg should've had his hand raised.
People are just accepting it because it's Brazil, but Erceg should be champ.
There is a better argument for 4 rounds for Erceg than there is for 3 rounds for Pantoja at this point.

How do you win a fight whilst being outstruck, landing no offence and not being able to threaten any fight finishing sequences during 5 mins of control time?

It's a good loss for Erceg to have though. If he learns and makes some tiny adjustments, he matches up amazingly with the entire division.
He was never in any danger on the ground, was able to get up everytime Pantoja tried to hold him down.

We all lost boys, not sure why you're arguing over a pile of dogshit.

Terrible fight, looked like a glorified training session.

You are forgetting this was under Brazilian rules where you can smash a guy with an elbow clearly creating a major injury with blood gushing out immediately while also causing your opponent to press his palm to his head to check if his brain is leaking clearly showing significant immediate impact due to strikes and change to your opponents behavior and ability to fight, but lose the round on all scorecards because the Brazilian scored a takedown.

Even Erceg’s corner knew he was possibly down 3-0, if you want to be generous it was 2-2 heading into the 5th and we all know what happened next.

No problems with the decision that Pantoja won. I could see both arguments. My only concern is the way Pantoja fights. I am hoping I am wrong but it's going to be a sad sight once Pantoja can't take anymore shots.

This was a very close fight. I just watched it for the first time after reading alot of opinions about it. My thoughts are I wouldnt be mad if it had been a draw, but I feel like Erceg lost the fight getting reversed on the two take downs in the last round. If he goes full pressure empty the tank striking in that round I think he wins the fight. Getting reversed and held up gave it away IMO.

Back