Erceg

Erceg at 300+ plus would be a great dog to get behind, but he's at like +160, a small underdog.

I think Erceg has everything you need to beat someone like Pantoja.

I actually would pick Erceg over Pantoja.

Erceg won the somewhat rare performance of the night off a decision in his UFC debut.

source.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I wish we first saw Taira vs Erceg first though. It makes little sense that he's getting a shot. Taira is 5-0 in UFC ffs.

With that said, It think he has everything you need to beat someone like Pantoja. Of course, Pantoja got that dawg in him and Erceg is rather inexperienced and fighting in Brazil, but I'd pick Erceg if I were to pick a side.

In my opinion, the toughest match up for Pantoja since Askarov fight in 2021.

I’m envisioning some scenarios where Pantoja’s physicality will be on display vs Erceg, but I think Erceg’s gonna give a good account of himself and and kinda even thinking he might pull off what I’d think would be a stunner except the odds have him at like +150, so I guess it wouldn’t actually be a very big upset in he wins

It’s bizarre for a second title defense to be the number 10 guy. At least DJ ran through all of the top 5 before fighting number 8 Chris Cariaso.
Pantoja has run through number 1 twice, number 2 twice, number 5 and number 7. Number 3 is injured and number 4 is on a 2 fight losing streak.

It's a fresh match up, which is infinitely better than endless repeats, so I'm happy enough.

Erceg isn't massively inspiring, but he might spring an upset. It's a big ask though.

Agreed. My feeling is that people generally don't care about the fight, but they don't hate it either. I'm intrigued, and like you don't want to the see same top guys re-re-shuffled around again.

As a longplay, if Erceg wins he can carry the momentum directly into Perth, which is his hometown.

Pantoja has run through number 1 twice, number 2 twice, number 5 and number 7. Number 3 is injured and number 4 is on a 2 fight losing streak.
Yeah I’m not arguing the division isn't in a weird place. I wanted Albazi next.

He’s very long for the weight class. He could be difficult to deal with. It’s an interesting fight, especially with Pantoja talking about O’Malley.

Winning this fight impressively would help his case for credibility to challenge O’Malley.

He’s very long for the weight class. He could be difficult to deal with. It’s an interesting fight, especially with Pantoja talking about O’Malley.

Winning this fight impressively would help his case for credibility to challenge O’Malley.
He has no intentions going up to 135.
He only talked about Sean because Sean talked shit about him.

he doesnt look like a champ but he will be champ this week.

he is the best boxer in the division

He's the striker, and his alter ego, Ryan Hall, is the grappler.

Yup. That's my biggest problem

The flyweight division is so damn hollowed out. Erceg has one or two fights in ufc (right?) and he's fighting for a belt. I feel he got the shot after a cool KO
There's lots of good fighters at FLW

Pantoja
Royval
Moreno
Van
Taira
Kape
KKF
Mokaev

It's a good division. and most of these guys haven't fought each other except the top 3

Pantoja isn’t anything special,, Erceg likely beats him

There is a good chance we'll know who wins this after the first, one or two grappling exchanges.

Pantoja has never been finished and I expect him to grapple his way to victory. I would be very surprised if Steve can pull this off. Alexandre is getting to be pretty old for FLW though. I guess the unknown is part of the excitement to this fight.

Back