Social Euthanasia Now Available for Drug Addiction in Canada

I'll admit ignorance that I don't know what phase this is in and take your word for it. But, should this even be a consideration? I would say the slippery slope here would be pretty nuts, but this on its own is pretty nuts.

Agreed, but at this point it's pretty much an assumption.

What I got from a quick read of the news it's that medically assisted suicide will be available for mental ilness in March of next year, following the same criteria for other conditions (extreme suffering, no more treatments available etc).

Since drug addiction is a mental illness, it's being discussed that MAID may be available for those patients. But it's far from a set decision.

News: "the idea is being discussed".

Sherdog thread: "Now Available".

<Oku02>

The country’s medical assistance in dying (MAID) law, which first came into effect in 2016, will be expanded next March to give access to people whose sole medical condition is mental illness, which can include substance use disorders. Before the changes take place, however, a special parliamentary committee on MAID will regroup to scrutinize the rollout of the new regulations, according to the Toronto Star.

Available in the spring.

In theory I agree with the concept should have the choice to end their own lives. The issue is consent and coercion and part of my issue with the suicide prevention movement is it terrorizes people into not making that choice as opposed to making any effort to making those peoples lives better. This is the opposite end of the spectrum where I feel people(in this case drug addicts) would be terrorized into killing themselves.

If you have some health or social issue you have to pay every year for not be euthanized. Having arthritis or being unemployed or single are enough for the state euthanasia

Just give emts the last wednesday of the month off and let nature take its course.

Obviously its voluntary, but I feel like applicants should go through many processes of valuation before hitting that final stage.

Even then, it's eery to decide who lives or dies. Time/patience and alittle bit of willpower can change many situations.

Last edited:
This is crazy. Do they at least offer these people free rehab and work after completion before attempting to just let them kill themselves? I have a niece who has been to rehab almost 5 times now maybe more. She just went back yesterday. I think she's kind of a fool cause every time she gets out she post all this nonsense on FB and then eventually relapses but I do give her credit for never giving up at least. Unfortunately she has two boys that she's basically never raised.
Yes. In patient treatment is covered for people on welfare. I couldnt afford in patient when I got sober almost 4 years ago. The government worker I was speaking to legitimately told me to quit my job then they could take me in. So yes these people have more tools at their disposal for treating addiction, compared to working class people.

zczusw9ate891.gif

Safeguards for persons whose natural death is not reasonably foreseeable
The following procedural safeguards apply to persons’ whose natural death is not reasonably foreseeable (*indicates safeguards specific to those requests):

• request for MAID must be made in writing: a written request must be signed by one independent witness, and it must be made after the person is informed that they have a “grievous and irremediable medical condition” (a paid professional personal or health care worker can be an independent witness)
  • two independent doctors or nurse practitioners must provide an assessment and confirm that all of the eligibility requirements are met
    • *if neither of the two practitioners who assesses eligibility has expertise in the medical condition that is causing the person’s suffering, they must consult with a practitioner who has such expertise
  • the person must be informed that they can withdraw their request at any time, in any manner
  • *the person must be informed of available and appropriate means to relieve their suffering, including counselling services, mental health and disability support services, community services, and palliative care, and must be offered consultations with professionals who provide those services
  • *the person and the practitioners must have discussed reasonable and available means to relieve the person’s suffering, and agree that the person has seriously considered those means
  • *the eligibility assessments must take at least 90 days, but this period can be shortened if the person is about to lose the capacity to make health care decisions, as long as both assessments have been completed
  • immediately before MAID is provided, the practitioner must give the person an opportunity to withdraw their request and ensure that they give express consent

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cj-jp/ad-am/bk-di.html#e

It doesn't sound like an addict can just walk into a clinic and asked to be hooked up to a death machine.

Back