Everglades vs. Yellowstone [Wildlife]

Never been to Yellowstone but I think from the scenery alone I would much prefer it over the Everglades.
Yellowstone is where I would prefer to visit.
Planning on going to Yellowstone next year.
Yellowstone and it's not even close.
Yellowstone.

Prefer mountains, forests, and prairies to swamps, bogs, and marshlands.
Did an airboat of the Everglades earlier this year. It was pouring rain and a complete disaster. Almost certainly we'd enjoy Yellowstone more.
Yellowstone. I'd want to see a Wolf, Grizzly, or Bison in the wild.

It really is every bit as extraordinary as the Expedia travel video presents - and for whatever reason they produce pure 🔥 - but it is an absolutely massive park. This helps thin and disperse crowds to a degree at nearly every area aside from the infamous entrance gates and upper geyser basin (where Old Faithful is located). However, because it's so enormous, too many people don't give themselves nearly enough time to soak it in. It's just rushing from one notable destination to the next, and it makes for subpar experience.

Great Horned Owls get around apparently

Know what I'm sayin?

I've worked in and around both for the NPS and state agencies.

I think if you're a biologist, entomologist, herpetologist, or botanist you'll likely lean towards the Everglades.

If you're a geologist or just a regular Joe/Jane American/Asian then you'll likely lean towards Yellowstone. Mostly due to the Americana iconography associated with the macro organisms that exist there.

I think a lot of Americans get Yellowstone confused with Glacier. They want the big snow capped mountains and such. If certainly exists in the Beartooths and surrounding areas of Yellowstone, but Yellowstone itself is mostly arid and in hot years feels like a subalpine desert in its Western areas. The geological features are the main draw, but people want the animals. Here in Montana, we all have collections of videos of touridiots getting gored and trampled by Bison because they think it's a zoo.

The Everglades complex was probably one of my worst jobs in conservation, but also the place I miss the most. If I won the lottery I'd go all Hemmingway and live in the wilds of Florida and Montana.

Bison, grizzly, Wolves, moose > swamp things

Back