• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Everlast Protex2 Gel Training Gloves Review

ClampXVII

Bravado Muay Thai Trainer
@Black
Reaction score
Original review here: Everlast Protex2 Gel Training Gloves Review

Salutations readers! It's yours truly here with another review. In this review we will cover the Everlast Protex 2 Evergel Training Gloves. I want to mention to you readers that I didn't pay for these gloves. They were given to me by my student who purchased them and didn't like them after using them for a few weeks. He paid the full price of $60.00 for these plus shipping. I really don't need anymore gloves but I thought I'd put them to good use and write a review about them for my loyal readers.

Now before I review these gloves I want to tell you guys my personal thoughts on Everlast. I personally think they have lost touch with what the people want and are looking for. I feel that instead of concentrating on improving what they have, they're spreading themselves way too thin. They currently have over 20 different pairs of gloves from the horrible “Pro” Style Training Gloves than can be found in every department store to the well received by shoddy Protex3 Training Gloves (multiple accounts of popped stitches). I wish they would get back to basics and trim their line a bit. Why do they need cotton filled vinyl gloves? The only pair of Everlast equipment that I ever really liked were the Leather Training gloves that often go on sale for $50.00. Those gloves in my opinion are one of the best gloves on the market in that price range and one of the best gloves Everlast has to offer (other than the Protex 3 line). Now that I've gotten that out of the way lets move onto the review.

From the manufacturers website:

A serious glove for a serious athlete.

› Constructed from durable and long-lasting synthetic leather
› Features a superior duel support panel for superior wrist protection and comfort
› Improved curved anatomical grip and fit
› C3™ FOAM, PROTEX 2™ , THUMBLOK™ , EverCOOL™ & EverDRI™

Price:

$60.00 + Shipping and handling

My first immediate impressions when I first saw these gloves were positive. I thought they looked pretty cool. They're very low key and simple. When I held them in my hands to examine them closer those thoughts were replaced with “WTF!?”. They looked like they were made of real genuine leather but to my surprise they weren't, And when I found out how much he paid for a pair of synthetic leather gloves I was shocked. I don't know why these gloves are being sold at such a high price tag but it just goes to show that more money doesn't always mean you're getting the best bang for you buck. If these gloves were all leather I would understand the price, but they're not so I really don't get how they could cost so much since they felt cheap! The materials they used feels like a combination of rubber and vinyl. To be fair the synthetic leather on these are pretty thick and since I've haven't felt another glove that used his same material I can't comment of the durability. I can talk about the quality of the glove however. It's shoddy at best. I could not believe how fast the stitching popped in places all around the glove and how frayed the mesh got. I got them when there were only 1 or 2 popped stitches but by the time I used them enough to write a fair review there were more popped stitches. Just so it doesn't seem like I'm just hating on the gloves I will say that the screen printing on these is really clean and the rubberized Evergel logo on the thumb is a nice touch.

The palm side of the glove has a section of mesh on the outside that is suppose to aid in keeping your hands cool and help the glove dry out faster, but I honestly didn't feel the cooling benefit of the glove as my hands got really hot and sweaty during use. My wraps would literally end up soggy by the end of class. The inside lining of the glove however is really good. It's a very comfortable and durable feeling yellow fabric material that dries out really quickly. I would almost bet money that the lining would outlast the synthetic leather. The hand compartment of the gloves feel true to size. These gloves come in 2 different sizes and the ones that I received were 16oz S/M and without wraps they still felt loose and I had a tiny bit of room to slide my hand around, but with wraps they fit pretty good and I could make a pretty comfortable fist. I can't only imagine how much bigger the L/XL would feel. I tought the grip bar on these gloves to be a little larger. It feels like I'm just folding my hand over instead of gripping onto something.

These gloves come with the latest trademarked padding being offered by Everlast like the C3 Foam Technology and Evergel Technology. This sounds very technical and cool but if a glove makes me feel like I'm hitting with a bag of marshmallows we have a problem. These are one of the squishiest gloves I have ever used. When I landed my punches on the bag it felt like I could never land solid. Every shot I threw felt like my hand was slipping around the inside of the glove and the padding would shift. Now combined with a crappy hook and loop closure (the protex 2 wrist cuff didn't do anything to protect my wrist) I felt a lot of shock and pressure being put on my wrists when ever I hit the bags. I didn't find these to be good bag gloves at all. When I used them for mitts the same thing. They just felt too squishy and the padding felt like it was always shifting around especially for uppercuts and short hooks. For sparring and sparring drills these gloves performed well. They were soft enough to hit people with, but when I would hit punches from an angle I could feel my wrist bend. For example whenever I throw an uppercut to the liver I could literally feel my wrist bend backwards. The wrist support on these gloves are terrible. How hard was it to design a hook and loop closure that went all the way around the wrist? The $20.00 department store models provide better wrist support than these! The only positive thing I can say about the actual use of these gloves are that I never once jammed my thumb.

I'm not sure what else I can say about a mediocre glove. The only thing I liked about these gloves are that they fit really nice, they dry fast, and they look cool but what I didn't like about the gloves outweighs it's good points. I didn't like the squishy foam, I didn't like the quality, I couldn't believe the high price tag, and I hated the wrist support. What surprises me is that on Everlast.com the gloves got a very high rating by users. I don't know what they're comparing the gloves to but what they have to say about these gloves is all positive and that is truly surprising to me. I guess when you have used quality gear from Ring to Cage, Winning, Grant, and Ringside you tend to expect more especially from a huge company like Everlast. I'm not impressed with these gloves at all and I would not recommend them to anyone.

Overall score 4/10 -1 for high price -1 for synthetic leather -2 for a lack of wrist support – 1 for lack of quality and -1 for the squishy padding.

For those who don't like to read:
+Very comfortable and nice fit
+Fast drying
+Simple yet cool design
+Good thumb placement
-Bad wrist support
-The price is too high
-The foam is squishy
-Synthetic leather
-Shoddy quality

Pictures
100_1028.jpg

100_1027.jpg

100_1040.jpg

100_1036.jpg

100_1030.jpg

100_1059.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to take close ups of the loose stitching but I'm pretty sure you guys can see them with just by looking at the pics lol

Nice review Clamp.Although not for Everlast..

Thanks for the review Clamp. This just reinforces my view that whenever i'm faced with the option to buy Everlast, I pass. More often than not, your money is best spent elsewhere.

Wow - these look exactly like a pair of cheap adidas gloves I picked up for about $10.

Really disappointing.

Everlast has absolutely nothing in common with the historical brand. Whenever you go in a general sport store best believe the only striking equipment they have is Everlast that is cheap and overpriced.

I used them yesterday 1 last time to reaffirm my review and now my left wrist hurts. I hate these gloves.

Nice detailed review and photos. Are the threads breaking, or loosening up and forming loops? That is the crappiest looking, sub standard, hook and loop closure system that I think I have ever seen.

:icon_chee

Last edited:
They're actually breaking. They were put through the exact same workout as all my other glove reviews.

I was looking at these gloves. They're $35 at Amazon and Sports Authority. Thanks for saving me $35 :)

also, one thing to note is thanks to the mesh, there is no padding on the side of the palm like there is on pretty much every other boxing or mt glove on the market.

during sparring earlier in the week (the new guy had those gloves) he took a swift jab and had to take a knee rather quickly and bruised his hand on the ground. sounds pretty lame, but that's why the padding is there. what good is having things to protect your hands if they can't even do that right?

i don't like to do this, but if you're in a pinch and need gloves now, the "pro" style training gloves at "insert generic sports store name here" are 10x better than these gloves.

The fact that the thread is breaking is indicative that they are using really cheap standard thread, instead of an upholstery grade thread, which is just about virtually unbreakable. But, if they were to use upholstery thread with substandard material, it would be the material that would fail rather than the thread. That only leads me to believe that they have made a conscious decision to use both crappy thread and crappy material, spend all their money on nice looking supposedly innovative designs, and sell by volume.

Everlast seems to be suffering from the same management model that Harley Davidson was during the brief but, infamous period that they were owned by AMF, and everything went into the dumper as far as quality.

I am sorry to say that I don't believe it is as much as "Everlast just doesn't seem to get it" as opposed to "Everlast just doesn't want to get it". At this point they appear to be hell bent on selling to the masses, for the largest profit possible, and using substandard material that subsequently results in a substandard product, and sooner or later that strategy is doomed to fail. When someone forks out over $200.00+ for their latest and greatest version of the Protex 3 Gloves, you can be rest assured that they are going to expect and demand a product that lives up to that price point. And, $60.00 for a pair of "pleather" gloves that begin falling apart after several sessions is outrageous.

:icon_chee

my everlast professonal training gloves are still the most top quality gloves i've ever owned, however, they were not in the 30 or even 60 dollar price range. plus they aren't really recommended for the beginner just hitting the bag in their spare time

if you're paying 30 bucks for something like boxing gloves you can't really expect top quality though, maybe for mma gloves because there is less to them, but quality boxing gloves at the msrp of 30 bucks, forget it

Who are you directing this at Championstuff? LOL.

i was just more or less say it aloud lol pretty much saying that if you're going to get everlast gloves, might as well get the good ones, but if the person is on a budget to avoid these gloves

Back