Fallout TV Series (Premieres April 11)

I may be faboying hard, but I really enjoyed this first season. Finally finished it up. Was disappointed it only had eight episodes, but I'm glad to know they've already green lit S2.
The incredibly sloppy action sequences in eps 2 and 3 almost made me quit. Glad I didnt, because it definitely gets better.

They did a great job of making it feel like a Fallout property.

They also did a great job of giving the fans everything or most of what they'd want to see in a Fallout show - a storyline involving the Brotherhood of Steel and getting to see power armor in action right from the jump. A storyline involving going through a decimated vault and piecing together what happened through environmental storytelling. A storyline involving a ghoul. A plot centered around the central narrative and mystery of the game - Vault-Tec, who they are, what they want, how it all started, etc.

Quality - solid 7.5/10
My enjoyment of it as a fallout fan - 9/10

I binged the whole season from last night to this morning. Wish I had more episodes

The incredibly sloppy action sequences in eps 2 and 3 almost made me quit. Glad I didnt, because it definitely gets better.

They did a great job of making it feel like a Fallout property.
They did all the important things way better than I expected. I can live with some sloppy action in a show.

Tight action sequences but bad story/world building and a lot of people turn it off.

Finished the season and it's a solid 7/10

The acting was in parts horrendous to the point where it was distracting, and the lovey dovey stuff between bug eyes and Denzel is corny af. His character btw is the most unlikable in a while.

The special effects were top notch and they mostly nailed the overall Fallout 3+ feel, so it feels pretty true to the Bethesda games. The main plot with cold fusion/ clean water or whatever makes sense too. They nailed the power armor. The ghoul is a very good Fallout corny badass character, I don't care that he is OP one-shotting brothers in power armor using a shitty shottie.

Worth a watch if you're already a Fallout fan. If not, you won't enjoy the circle jerk reference fest.

I do know what you mean and I'm the same. The issue with her to me is not the larger eyes. It's the fact that her eyelids almost look inflamed. They are just to big. My wife has big eyes but her eye lids are more like Asians. She often gets confused for being mixed Asian because of that.
Asian with big eyes? Dafuq?

I was sort of annoyed in the last episode where ghoul cowboy pointed out the design flaw in the power armor and then killed a knight by shooting him there. Why didn't he do that when he fought Maximus?

I finished up the series last night and I absolutely loved the show from beginning to end. This has been the best adaption from a video game series put on screen. The Last of Us was also excellent, but I just enjoyed Fallout a lot more overall. The casting was fantastic, the set pieces were superb and accurate (I was consistently blown away with how the Fallout universe was captured down to the smallest details), the dark humor and lore of the series. I also really enjoyed Goggins and the flashbacks to the origin of how it all started. Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy did such a great job with this IP. I can not wait for the next season!!

WAR NEVER CHANGES
Don't know how your eyeballs didn't roll out of your eye sockets in eps 2 and 3. They almost made me quit

Seriously. The action sequences in those two eps are so fuckin bad. A list:
-A yao guai sneaks up behind a Knight and his squire, attacking from behind the cave entrance they just walked through? How does a giant monster sneak up behind two people in a brightly lit area? Where did it even come from? It was growling from in the cave, they walk in the cave, and suddenly its behind them? The fuck?
-The action sequence of the fight was embarrassingly bad. The yao guai standing up on its hind legs and roaring multiple times.
-The hilariously slow reaction time of Michael Rappaport/Titus in power armor.
-Titus squaring off with the yao guai and doing just fine. Appears to be a 50/50 fight. Yao guai stands up again and roars for no reason and Titus decides to run away screaming "fuck fuck fuck fuck" even though he was doing just fine?
-Knight Titus getting KTFO'd stone cold from a bonk on the head? Wtf? These power armor suits turn you into a demi-god but you get knocked out cold from bonking your head?
-A SINGLE 10mm shot to the head instantly kills the Yao guai but a fucking knight in power armor couldn't do anything?
-Apparently no one wrote any lines for Michael Rappaport. He's just talking like himself and repeating the same 3 phrases again and again "you stupid mother fucker" "they'll kill you for this" I know they brought him on to play as Michael Rappaport in this role, just like they did with Fred Armisten as the music hipster. But god damn write him some fucking lines man.
-The big fight in Filly was unbelievably stupid. Maximus could have killed Cooper so many different times. All he had to do at any point was grab him and crush him. But instead he decides to try and box with him while wearing 2 tons of armor...To really just drive home how fucking stupid that scene was, in the next episode they show Maximus using the power armor to crush a dude's skull with ease. I understand that they can't just kill Cooper as he's a main character, so write the fucking scene in a way that makes sense.
-Cooper knifes dogmeat in the neck after attacking dogmeat's owner. Then he revives/heals the dog and the dog just jumps up all happy and starts paling around with the guy who just knifed him in the neck. Absolutely fucking baffling
-Also as @Seano pointed out - the last episode Cooper suddenly can one shot kill knights in power armor but for some reason didn't think to do that in the fight was Maximus in Filly? Wtf man??
For those two episodes it's like they didn't have any quality control or something. No one to review the scenes and be like "wait a minute, does this make sense? is this logical? does this scene look good?". That shit absolutely shattered my immersion and almost caused me to quit. I'm glad I didn't, because that sloppy bullshit doesn't really make another major appearance, the plot is interesting and keeps you hooked in, the casting was great (aside from Maximus who is completely devoid of personality and/or charisma), and they did an excellent job of making it feel like the Fallout universe.

I really hope they put a little more thought into the "logic" of what's happening on screen in season 2 and the action directing is a lot tighter.

Don't know how your eyeballs didn't roll out of your eye sockets in eps 2 and 3. They almost made me quit

Seriously. The action sequences in those two eps are so fuckin bad. A list:
-A yao guai sneaks up behind a Knight and his squire, attacking from behind the cave entrance they just walked through? How does a giant monster sneak up behind two people in a brightly lit area? Where did it even come from? It was growling from in the cave, they walk in the cave, and suddenly its behind them? The fuck?
-The action sequence of the fight was embarrassingly bad. The yao guai standing up on its hind legs and roaring multiple times.
-The hilariously slow reaction time of Michael Rappaport/Titus in power armor.
-Titus squaring off with the yao guai and doing just fine. Appears to be a 50/50 fight. Yao guai stands up again and roars for no reason and Titus decides to run away screaming "fuck fuck fuck fuck" even though he was doing just fine?
-Knight Titus getting KTFO'd stone cold from a bonk on the head? Wtf? These power armor suits turn you into a demi-god but you get knocked out cold from bonking your head?
-A SINGLE 10mm shot to the head instantly kills the Yao guai but a fucking knight in power armor couldn't do anything?
-Apparently no one wrote any lines for Michael Rappaport. He's just talking like himself and repeating the same 3 phrases again and again "you stupid mother fucker" "they'll kill you for this" I know they brought him on to play as Michael Rappaport in this role, just like they did with Fred Armisten as the music hipster. But god damn write him some fucking lines man.
-The big fight in Filly was unbelievably stupid. Maximus could have killed Cooper so many different times. All he had to do at any point was grab him and crush him. But instead he decides to try and box with him while wearing 2 tons of armor...To really just drive home how fucking stupid that scene was, in the next episode they show Maximus using the power armor to crush a dude's skull with ease. I understand that they can't just kill Cooper as he's a main character, so write the fucking scene in a way that makes sense.
-Cooper knifes dogmeat in the neck after attacking dogmeat's owner. Then he revives/heals the dog and the dog just jumps up all happy and starts paling around with the guy who just knifed him in the neck. Absolutely fucking baffling
-Also as @Seano pointed out - the last episode Cooper suddenly can one shot kill knights in power armor but for some reason didn't think to do that in the fight was Maximus in Filly? Wtf man??
For those two episodes it's like they didn't have any quality control or something. No one to review the scenes and be like "wait a minute, does this make sense? is this logical? does this scene look good?". That shit absolutely shattered my immersion and almost caused me to quit. I'm glad I didn't, because that sloppy bullshit doesn't really make another major appearance, the plot is interesting and keeps you hooked in, the casting was great (aside from Maximus who is completely devoid of personality and/or charisma), and they did an excellent job of making it feel like the Fallout universe.

I really hope they put a little more thought into the "logic" of what's happening on screen in season 2 and the action directing is a lot tighter.
All of those points are spot on, I think you're supposed to watch with suspended disbelief and as if it were the computer game or something

Everybody knows stimpacks make you gay for whomever pricked you last

They did all the important things way better than I expected. I can live with some sloppy action in a show.

Tight action sequences but bad story/world building and a lot of people turn it off.
Absolutely. The world building and making it feel like Fallout is the most important thing and they did a great job on that. Because yeah if it were reversed I wouldn't care how good the action is, I wouldn't have watched the season if it didn't feel like Fallout. Just saying its something they can improve on and a criticism I have. Thankfully I feel like most of the action sequences were alright to good. But man those two reallyyyyy bummed me out lol.

All of those points are spot on, I think you're supposed to watch with suspended disbelief and as if it were the computer game or something

Everybody knows stimpacks make you gay for whomever pricked you last
Right, but that's the thing, the things I discussed in that list are things that will break your immersion and suspend your suspension of disbelief. But the action sequences get much better. I really liked a lot of the shots in the final big battle.

Do you even Fallout bro?
To be honest, the first two episodes are for Fallout fans, the next 6 are still fallout but the first episode made me think my spouse wouldn't get into it so I just watched it on my own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
This Island Earth
Back