Media Fedor shows how to stop degastani wrestling

Remember when he got out from under Randleman? That shit still baffles and amazes me.

_L-Hwi.gif
That was so effortless. He made it look like anyone should be able to do that.

Reactions: HHJ
I have wrestled and coached wrestling for about 30 years and I never seen anything like it. And I did some summer wrestling camps with future Olympians.
I feel that does in part explain the earlier decline, some of it was I'd guess about commitment to training but I feel like very dynamic grapplers are most prone to physical decine, some of them like say Cain at an earlier age.

In MMA especially I think that style of scrambling and going for aggressive subs demands a lot of agility and it has the potential to cause a lot of injuries, unlike wrestling were your in a set stance your often grappling in more of a striking stance, why I suspend ACL injuries are so common.

I feel that does in part explain the earlier decline, some of it was I'd guess about commitment to training but I feel like very dynamic grapplers are most prone to physical decine, some of them like say Cain at an earlier age.

In MMA especially I think that style of scrambling and going for aggressive subs demands a lot of agility and it has the potential to cause a lot of injuries, unlike wrestling were your in a set stance your often grappling in more of a striking stance, why I suspend ACL injuries are so common.
That kind of explosiveness will wear a body out and wont stay with him as an older guy.

That kind of explosiveness will wear a body out and wont stay with him as an older guy.
I feel like people tend to focus more on fast strikers declining but if you look at MMA history its actually really dynamic grappling which is often a "game for the young", most people with that style do it best in their 20's not their 30's.

In Fedor case I think you could definately argue his grappling dropped off more, it wasnt really until his comeback that he was losing via striking.

Last edited:
Reactions: HHJ

I don't know a serious wrestler who doesn't have some sort of cumulative injuries. Me and a bunch of us from my school started when we were 5-6 (whatever Kindergarten age is) and wrestled through high school and college. We are all stiff as fuck, but never talk about it cause we new it would happen eventually. The explosiveness is a major factor, things just don't spring back the same they used too. Yes, some fighters are in their prime at 32, but by 35-36, that shit starts to go downhill fast.

I don't know a serious wrestler who doesn't have some sort of cumulative injuries. Me and a bunch of us from my school started when we were 5-6 (whatever Kindergarten age is) and wrestled through high school and college. We are all stiff as fuck, but never talk about it cause we new it would happen eventually. The explosiveness is a major factor, things just don't spring back the same they used too. Yes, some fighters are in their prime at 32, but by 35-36, that shit starts to go downhill fast.
MMA does seem to have the added factor as well that its more unpredictable, your having to switch from striking to grappling in an instant meaning your that much more likely to damage joints/muscles.

People like Cain and Shogun espeically I suspect that was a big part of their problem, sparing there they were mixing it up and grappling in awkward positions.

Back