Fedor vs Tim Sylvia: The story

I remember Frank trigg kept saying "oh no, ooh nooo!" As fedor pummeled poor Timmy.

I remember Frank trigg kept saying "oh no, ooh nooo!" As fedor pummeled poor Timmy.
He was a HORRIBLE commentator. Like you have to try real hard to be worse.

Timmeh touched countless guys with teh jab, but once he got taken down or someone locked in a sub, he just looked defeated and ready to give up immediately. His fight with Nog being a great example.

Kind of sad considering his camp and the people he trained with.

"I played his game for 11 minutes, and I'm still here. He played my game for 11 seconds."

"I played his game for 11 minutes, and I'm still here. He played my game for 11 seconds."
nogueira-t1jpg.jpg

To be fair to Tim, one time he didn't tap quick and tried to tough it out it didn't end well for him. Could see that arm break being a reason for him being uncomfortable with subs in the rest of his career.

Great point about the arm break.

In fairness, the horrific arm break perpetrated by Mir. Recall that Sylvia was ready to continue fighting Mir after the arm break. I imagine after the adrenaline dump came the pain, surgery, & rehab. He wasn’t the same after that. It’s a lot to deal with. The depressed face, as I interpreted it, was him knowing (from the Mir fight) that he shouldn’t tough it out; he’d be better off tapping than snapping. I remember the face when Arlovski got the heel hook.

Yeah, the look on his face when Andrei got the sub locked in is burned indelibly into my brain.

Reactions: HHJ
lol no. Noone picked Sylvia to win. I don’t know where you’re getting you’re info but he’d already lost to Couture. This is bs. Fedor was already considered the goat and favored over everybody.
The time period he is talking about...
...shortly after Crocop's loss to Nog where they were comparing Pride's big three (Nog, Crocop, Fedor) to Rock, Paper, Scissors. In the article they described Sylvia as being the nuclear option who can beat all three.
Would have been in late 2003 or early 2004. Fedor would have just won the PRIDE title and many fans and analysts thought Cro Crop would be his kryptonite and weren't even sure how a Nog rematch would go. Sylvia would have been 16-0(with 14 stoppages, mostly early T/KOs) and just won and defended the UFC HW title for the first time.

I don't know if what he's saying is accurate, but it wouldn't be unreasonable because Fedor would have been a relatively unproven champion at that time.

The time period he is talking about...

Would have been in late 2003 or early 2004. Fedor would have just won the PRIDE title and many fans and analysts thought Cro Crop would be his kryptonite and weren't even sure how a Nog rematch would go. Sylvia would have been 16-0(with 14 stoppages, mostly early T/KOs) and just won and defended the UFC HW title for the first time.

I don't know if what he's saying is accurate, but it wouldn't be unreasonable because Fedor would have been a relatively unproven champion at that time.
In 2003,when that statement was made,most people still thought Fedor would destroy Tim. People didnt care that the guy in the inferior org beat Gan Mcgee. They were more interested in Arlovski,cos he LOOKED like a dude who could whup anyone's ass.

I remember thinking this was a very dangerous fight for Fedor. Tim was of course a 2x UFC HW champ and even though he just lost to Nogueira, he was touching him up bad on the feet before getting subbed. But Fedor put him away like a bum.

LOL.

So true.
Hahaha it makes me laugh to think about him because I used to spam post the Frank Mir breaking Tim Sylvia's arm GIF in all my replies to his comments hahaha, he was absoutley furious, he was beyond mad. He got his panties in such a bunch if you said anything about Sylvia haha lol

Timmeh touched countless guys with teh jab, but once he got taken down or someone locked in a sub, he just looked defeated and ready to give up immediately. His fight with Nog being a great example.

Monson got him down and Timmy through up a triangle!

Last edited:

Except against Monson. Jeff's arms were too fucking short, lol. That fight was kind of funny because of that. Monson would have won if he had had longer arms.

Watched this one live on PPV. Payed for both AFFLICTION events. Exciting period though short lived, thanks Josh Barnett.

Right. This was back when people would get more excited for MMA events. A bunch of my friends used to get together and have UFC parties that were really cool. The two Affliction events were fun.

it should also be noted that before Fedor won the title,people thought Nog was the best HW,and Nogueira's loss to him was shocking,and the punching power Fedor displayed in this and the herring fight scared people.

Break down Tim's next match up in a similar fashion. Thanks.

Also I forgot...Cliffs!

1.Timmeh Timmeh Timmeh fuck Timmeh Timmeh
2. Fedor is GOAT.
3. We end our lives as moles in the dark of Dawn Patrol.

People were at that time expecting the end to come soon. It would take 2 more yrs,but they just thought no way this can last forever.
Yup, people were tripping over each other to be the first to be the one who called Fedors downfall. Especially after the AA fight. For as dominant of a victory as it was, the Sherbros finally saw the signs of decline they were looking for.

Reactions: HHJ
WTF HOW COME NOBODY TOLD THESE FIGHTERS THAT FEDOR WAS PAST HIS PRIME!!!!!!

It was 2008. Interestingly enough though, a couple of the fighters were already saying that Fedor hadn't been fighting much in recent years (ie recent in terms of 2008) and so was no longer what he once was.

Of course, on Sherdog there'll be people saying he was already out of his prime in 2000 (he lost to TK -- yes on a technicality but a loss is a loss, and some people on Sherdog think that losing a fight means no longer being in your prime), and others saying he's still in his prime today (for a lot of Sherdog you only leave your prime when you die). That's the sort of thing that makes Sherdog forums so entertaining, you get extremes in opinion.

Yup, people were tripping over each other to be the first to be the one who called Fedors downfall. Especially after the AA fight. For as dominant of a victory as it was, the Sherbros finally saw the signs of decline they were looking for.

If you're talking about the AA fight, even Fedor's boxing coach said that Fedor was slowing down because of age -- and coaches never admit that unless they think its so obvious that there's no point in denying it. His coach did say though that he was making up for it because of increased skill (that's coach talk for "I'm doing a good job training him even if he's getting slower").

Four years is a very long time to remain in prime. Relatively few Olympic gold medal winners can repeat (that requires being in prime for four years), relatively few NBA MVP's repeat more than once (ie their prime doesn't last more than a couple of years). Most athletes in most sports have a few years at their peak, and then they start to fall off. The great ones are still more than good enough to be stars anyway, but not at the level they once were.

And of course there are a few athletes that appear to be ageless, but they're rare. Gordie Howe comes to mind in hockey, Jordan in basketball (not Lebron though, he hasn't won the MVP in almost a decade), Barry Bonds in baseball (with an asterisk of course), Tom Brady in the NFL (quarterbacks tend to age well though because of their role).

Back