Fighter pay increase. Why?

as following fans of a sport, presumably paying some sort of money into your preferred organization, i agree we are entitled to an opinion on fighter pay, for better or worse. but the passion (and sometimes obssession) people approach this issue with is really confusing to me. like these guys are being kidnapped at birth and trained in a dungeon all their life to emerge for a 10/10 contract with the ufc and never had a chance otherwise. no. these are grown adults who pursued a career in something that they full well knew how much it paid, the inherent risk involved and all the other pit falls of life as a pro fighter. i want to get paid more for what i do. and most people want to get paid more for what they do. and you know how you achieve that? you surpass your peers and contemporaries, you outperform and you earn higher pay. i dont see people running around the internet crying about their local unions not paying starting helpers or apprentices more, buts its the same exact thing. and if all else fails, learn how to negotiate! and learn how to say no!

Raises in fighter pay are for the lower & mid teir fighters... the top fighters are negotiating based on merit. So this is basically a recruitment mechanism, and it makes the younger more talented fighters more eager to enter the UFC... which is already paying more than everyone else at those levels, but sweetening the pot will certianly set them apart further.

Plus, inflation is higher than ever, so it only makes sense that the employees should get higher pay.

more money means more people would want to fight, which would give us fans higher chances of watching better fights. plus, it's just terrible to see people not making as much money as they could. no one wants to see anyone taken advantage of.

I merely asked for opinions. Will increasing fighter pay benefit MMA in terms of fight quality or frequency? not really expressing my stance here
2022 white belts are not allowed to ask for opinions. Just STFU and lurk for a year.

What about fighters that don't get PPV points?
But if people actually paid for ppvs the company would be worth more therefor the .001 that goes to the fighters would be more!
<Y2JSmirk>

How is it "UFC is the superbowl of MMA" & "the big leagues, bigger than soccer" yet fighters in the pinnacle of MMA have 2nd jobs. It's just laughable. How are we gonna get the absolute pinnacle/best when even many UFC fighters work 2nd jobs? My friends who are casuals insisted I must be lying when I showed them what some UFC fighters make.
Yes, it’s the absolute best of an absolute fringe sport.
Not that tough to figure out.

B/c NBA and NFL are making money hand over fist these days. They have teams of people who's job it is to increase revenue with social media.
NBA gets an average of 1.6 million viewers for each game!

NFL gets an average viewship of of almost 17 million!! And you are getting between 8-9 games per week on network television.

What's average for UFC? A couple hundred thousand?

Fighters don't give a shit if you are mediocre at your job and haven't had a raise in 10 years.

People get paid for what they are worth.

nope. We don’t live in a meritocracy, that’s incredibly naïve… It’s not about what you’re worth or what you deserve, it’s about what you negotiate.

If all the fighters went on strike, Dana would be begging for mercy within weeks or even days. Not likely to happen though.

We talkin ‘bout usernames now?
<bball1>

And what’s up @Mohawk Banditó? You want some smoke too?
I didn't say nothing about your dumb ass. Your sociopolitics basically boil down to a series of grunts. The last progressive movement you had was "Fire good"
prehistoric-caveman-looks-fire-and-069912149_prevstill.jpeg

No point in talking to you, I can't help you. I worked in education, not time travel.

Reactions: kuf
Building an athletes brand is a partnership, not just in the UFC but everywhere. Sure the promoters need to tell the stories and sell the fights, but the stories need to be there to sell. If you are boring, nobody wants to interview you etc then you are super hard to sell.

That is the entire story right there. The whole thing can be solved with 3 words. Don't be boring. That is it, just don't be boring and you can sell enough T-Shirts, Wigs, and vibrators to buy a pink Lambo like O'Malley. It doesn't even matter if you win or lose your fights. Anyone remember the last time Chandler or Conor won a fight? Even if you do it doesn't make any difference in their careers.

I thought parents got their kids into sport because its healthy, fun and a great way to make new friends.
As a parent you should be more interested in what your child like than what they potentially can earn as a grown up who makes it to the biggest stage.
Well yea but are you going to get your kid into mma and say do this for a living you won't make much or say nba which can get you a scholarship and good cash?

So there has been another thread recently where it was stated how fighters are getting even less pay than in previous year in terms of pay to revenue (or pay to profits). It has caused yet another outburst of criticism of how bad and stingy UFC is and caused more calls for them to address the issue.

But I haven't really seen opinions and arguments on what benefits it gives to the actual fight game. So what are they? How is this going to benefit the fight game and MMA in general if UFC raises the fighter pay? Surely as a person I would be happy for someone getting paid even more for doing a legal and fair work, but as for MMA fan, what would be the interest?

Will the quality of fights become better? Or fighters will become more cautious, afraid to lose, and losing the win bonus? Will the fights become more frequent, especially between elites and championship ones become more frequent? Looking at boxing, it might not be the case .. People are criticizing lack of motion and championship fights in certain divisions already, as is ..

Will it draw better talent to the MMA? How can we be sure? A lot of fans have an opinion that stars of the past were better than the current ones when the pay wasn't anywhere close to the current numbers..

An argument I saw was that Bellator pays around 50% of revenue to fighters .. So what? They still pay less in actual numbers .. This ratio is only a testament that they are inferior as a promotion and as a business to the UFC. How should that press UFC to pay more, if they are paying more than anyone else already (in general)?

Isn't that the lack of demand in general that is problem and had it not been the case, the other promotions would have been able to pay more, and in turn force the UFC to pay more? But right now it is the UFC that is the main driver in the industry and generates new viewers so they might deserve what they are earning (I don't know anyone who first starting watching Bellator, One, PFL, before starting to watch UFC).

Anyways, what could be the objective benefits for us, MMA fans, if UFC raises fighter pay? So far from what I've seen the motive is "because screw Dana and his snow covered driveway" ..
How does it benefit the fight game? I don't know and don't care.

They fighters are the ones risking a sacrificing their health and welfare for our entertainment. The fighters are the ones people pay to see, and tune in to watch. It's about basic fairness.

Any other sport you see the athletes splitting revenue evenly with ownership. Even if you don't think MMA can justify that, they DESERVE a bigger cut, because they ARE the ones who are making money for the ownership. Not Dana. Not Joe Rogan. The fighters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obrad
Back