Fighters Call for Banning the Oblique Kick

Should they ban it?

• Total voters
I'm with Boser on this one. Also, it shouldn't be banned.

You do know Jones hasn't had an eye poke in over 7 years right
<DontBelieve1>
6 years ago he poked Cormier
"Jones catches Cormier in the right eye with an outstretched hand; referee Herb Dean warns Jones to mind his fingers while striking."

Last edited:
If we ban oblique kicks, then do we ban heal hooks, knee bars, and all variations of leg locks too? The head is much more important than the joints, do we ban head strikes? How far are we willing to water down the sport? On the other hand, oblique kicks aren't similar to leg locks because they're instant and a fighter can't tap to them.

Conflicted on this but say no ban.

If a majority of the fighters want that kick banned then I’d say it should be banned. I would survey the fighters about this if I were the ufc.

Knee injuries are the absolute worst and side line you for a long time. Not a shock that fighters push back against them.

Yea he really hit rampage hard, he refused to adjust.
You're talking about the guy who sexually assaulted women openly on TV and went on a literal rampage in a monster truck on California streets...Yeah he ain't the brightest

I don't think it should be banned but when a guy is trying to break someone's limb on purpose, in such a shady ass way, I mean dude literally predicted where his knee would be and then fucking stomped his shit out of existence. Why not add finger/digit manipulation in this case? Might as well.

Anyway, I feel conflicted, I think that's a coward ass move to do, if you're trying to just injure your opponent like that. If you really want to break or injure his limbs, do it the right way and get him in a submission.

While I feel how I feel, I get the feeling fighters are just gonna learn to constantly be on guard to check for shit like that. Though, could you really if dude is already planning to not even let you plant your leg? That's why I think it's shitty/shady.

I can't respect a victory like this compared to say Frank Mir coming back from the jaws of defeat and literally taking Big Nog's arm out of sheer stubborn and pride of him not wanting to give it up.

Genuinely on the fence.

on one hand it’s a sport where we see gruesome knockouts and submissions all the time. There are certain leg submissions that can do immense damage but no one has ever called for them to be banned.

On the other hand it’s a career ending kick that doesn’t require much skill. Most fighters seem to hate them and support a ban. If the fighters overwhelmingly want to kick declared illegal, then we should probably listen to them.

Yes they should 100% ban it.Terrible kick that cripples the opponent. Why would you want to cripple your opponent in first place?

I don't think we need more limitations to be honest. We should allow for soccer kicks to the face, up kicks from all positions, 12 to 6 elbows, and knees to a grounded opponent.
12 to 6 elbows are already allowed 99% of the time, cause the refs never manage to see one done by the book. If its 12 to 5:50 its not illegal. If you are tilted a bit its not illegal etc..

Its interesting how many MMA fans claim to be against these kicks, yet run fan accounts for fighters who use oblique kicks.

Fan favorite Bobby Knuckles has arguably hurt more opponents with oblique kicks than the king of the oblique kick; Jonathan Jones.

I don't see any problem with removing them. We won't lose much.

I can recall having this discussion years ago on the forum and literally being mocked when I said somebody was going to get good enough to finish with this technique.

PRIDE didn't allow elbows because they thought it was a deterrent to exciting grappling. I didn't agree with it, but understood their reasoning, and they had some of the greatest moments in our sport.

If the Unified Rules wanted to ban straight kicks to the knee, to protect fighter's long term career/health, I'm fine with that. I understand it. I don't think we will lose much either.

Push kick to the thigh and knee area is fine. The stomp or side stomp to the knee should be limited. Maybe I shouldn't say this but there are old Muay Boran moves where you can step the back on someone's calf while in the clinch. You change an angle; you are definitely shredding the knee.

Back