Fighters who are most well known for a loss

Yans losses are starting to overshadow his victories imo. The DQ, Sterling and O’Malley loss have trended way more than any win he’s ever had.

Bob Sapp many, many times, also Hong-man Choi.

Glass Joe and Sam Alvey.
Sapp is known mostly as a guy who gives up easily in general,but those hoost fights are probably still more notable than the Nog loss,which he did great in...but I guess since we are talking MMA,then yes hes more known for losses.

I think that everyone is known for a loss either given or received. Matt Hamil and Matt Serra will both always be remembered for being the loss of two of the greatest fighters ever. Neither one would be remembered without being on the good side of that L. Jones and GSP May both be the greatest fighters ever but those losses are there most famous fights .

Sapp is known mostly as a guy who gives up easily in general,but those hoost fights are probably still more notable than the Nog loss,which he did great in...but I guess since we are talking MMA,then yes hes more known for losses.

Exactly and I thought twice about it for that reason. If it was K-1 / kickboxing he would be known for his wins. The fact that he did it twice and it couldn’t be called a fluke was insane.

Reactions: HHJ
I think that everyone is known for a loss either given or received. Matt Hamil and Matt Serra will both always be remembered for being the loss of two of the greatest fighters ever. Neither one would be remembered without being on the good side of that L. Jones and GSP May both be the greatest fighters ever but those losses are there most famous fights .
Jones most famous fight is the Hamill fight? Yea nah

GSP's only ascended from the serra loss. Even the Hendricks fight which is technically a win,I'd say is more known

For a guy who is mostly known for this very sequence, I found it very amusing how big for his britches he was on the Volk/Ortega season of TUF. Dude was squaring up with Chiesa and trash-talking him and I was just like... "Dude, are you trying to catch a repeat of what Big Daddy did to you?"

Yeah for Tank 2 victims, the first one was John Matua (Tank literally starched him stiff)

Jones most famous fight is the Hamill fight? Yea nah

GSP's only ascended from the serra loss. Even the Hendricks fight which is technically a win,I'd say is more known
This is Sherdog and your losses here are mentioned more than your wins. If you have no losses they make one up like Tibau for Khabib.

Oh man, for me at least for awhile, Bisping was all about the knockout and follow up he suffered form Henderson (talked a world of smack pre-fight and really paid the price) - almost had a repeat with a 46 year old Hendo as well (that'll teach him to respect his elders):

Last edited:
That's true for mma fans but to the average joe on the street it's a different story. I know it's hard to see from our perspective as mma fans but to the everyday person who isn't a mma fan, Conor vs Floyd is much more noteworthy. The mma bubble is only a fraction of the much larger sports media.

This post is nonsense.

Anyway to stay on topic.

I'd add Terry Martin when he got flying knee'd KO in the second by James Irvin.

He was KO'd in a brutal back and forth fight with Leben, he also KO'd Jorge Rivera in under 20 seconds. But I think he's most well known for the Irvin run and fly knee.

I feel like Houston Alexander might be most remembered by getting KO'd in 8 seconds from a superman punch now.

Marvin Eastman used to be everyone's whipping boy especially Vitors lol

We back momma we back

I feel like Houston Alexander might be most remembered by getting KO'd in 8 seconds from a superman punch now.

I disagree. I think Houston is for real, and is much more famous for his destruction over Jardine.

I disagree. I think Houston is for real, and is much more famous for his destruction over Jardine.

He definitely wasn't for real, but even if he was you can be a good fighter and still be famous for losing.

He got a lot of hype for Jardine but I'm not sure if people remember him for that anymore.

Francisco Bueno - His name is probably not known to more modern fans,but he was infamously known in my time as the guy who Igor Vovchanchyn faceplanted.He'd won his first fight in PRIDE,but no one ever talks about it. I think after this he never fought in a major promotion again. I remember he had put out some Jiu jitsu instructionals. Had to be a big blow to be known for only this though.

maxresdefault.jpg

Olaf Alfonso - hes basically only known for his highlight KO losses,and his "fighting jesus" moniker. Guy has literally been killed many times. He also looks like a guy that has been killed that many times. I guess he keeps resurrecting.

20090515102944_7DEG7357.JPG

Kris Moutinho - He did lose,but it was kind of a bullshit stoppage. He was showing alot of bravery and durability in the fight,but his 15 mins were up real fast.

1328074024.0.jpg

Cabbage was probably also most known for the beating he took against Tim Sylivia. Fred Ettish is def another one. Alot of the early UFC guys who were one and done belong on here.
Marvin Eastman is most known for this
DfBVB51W0AAlpTj.jpg

KO loss btw

Back