Fighters you thought were really good at one point, but then realized they were never that good?

Brandon Vera is actually my pick as well. He looked great but really wasn’t anything special. His loss to I believe Thiago santos really painted the picture
Yeah I remember talks of double champ with him way back then before it became cliche

Up until that fight I didn't know how much I could truly dislike a fighter. Travis Browne valiantly stepped up to show me.

No massive fan of Mitrione. But I DID like him and he had the right attitude and put on good fights.

How on earth Battery Browne didn't at least get a point off for that I don't know
Mitrione was on the last fight of his contract too, those dirtbag tactics cost him a TON of money.

Matt Hamill was a good fighter. There is no shame in losing to him. About Jon Jones.... I feel I kind of have to have him as GOAT.... but with an asterix. Of course there's the whole steroid thing, but also I feel like he got off easy in several ways. A couple of controversial decisions, but also, his suspensions allowed him to duck some very serious competition, like super heavy hitting Anthony Johson. DC was taking care of all the people Jones was ducking during suspensions. Going up to HW and destroying is an impressive thing, but.... Gane wasn't champion, and was greatly overhyped. I don't know, just sayin, Jones jump to HW would be a lot more impressive if he actually beat a champion in his prime, and didn't duck top competition by taking so much time off.... and getting suspended multiple times for testing hot. These things combined make Jones goat status.... not enthusiastic. Problem is.... who else? I like DC, but Jones beat him (ONCE!!!!!). It's too bad we didn't get to see heavyweight champion DC vs heavyweight Jon Jones. But, I suspect Jones didn't want that fight. I think he knew DC was capable of beating him. I give Jones an interim GOAT title.

Robert Whittaker. Never thought he would let a bum like ddp finish him.

Looking back at his wins I shouldn't be surprised.
I mean Canonier is just a hw who just got to lazy to cut to hw anymore.

As of yesterday

Yair Rodriguez
Brandon Moreno
Robert Whitaker

Josh Koscheck
Jon Fitch
Dominick Reyes
Anthony Smith
Marvin Vettori
Conor McGregor

The writing was always on the wall. He was consistently dropped/hurt standing (and by some odd people too) and outgrappled on the ground. His skills clearly weren't some elite of the elite where he truly was better than everybody like a MM or Jones. Good but flawed, and masked by great cardio that let him outlast his opponents and takeover.

I'd also had, but a lot of those wins had nothing to do with Tony, or were in fact caused by Tony's illegal actions impacting the fight in his favour.
  • Vannata was short notice so had no gas tank to properly follow up every time he hurt Tony
  • Lee had massive staph which gassed him out
  • Pettis broke his own hand dropping Tony, and that impacted his ability to finish/grapple with Tony on the ground afterwards
  • Pettis' corner threw in the towel. Yeah Tony had already turned things around and Pettis had a broken hand, but you never know what a 3rd could've brought
  • Tony eyepoked RDA badly in the 2nd round. That's the only early round RDA lost. Otherwise he might've won all 3 and therefore the decision
  • Tony badly illegally upkicked Barboza, which had him stumbling around afterwards
  • Tony hit and hurt Cerrone illegally after the bell, and right on his broken nose. A hurt Cerrone, AKA not thinking straight, with an further impacted nose then makes the rookie mistake he'd never make otherwise of trying to blow out his nose which blows up his eye and causes the doctors to stop the fight
  • For Cerrone the ref completely nonsensically calls the fight a TKO for Tony because the blow that originally broke the nose earlier in the round was legal. The blow that's causing the stop to the fight was illegal though so this should've been a DQ.
I'm sure I'm missing some, but there was a lot of luck and fuckery in that run. It wasn't just skill, which everybody kept ignoring. He nearly lost tons of times during his run, and easily could've had a completely different run had things gone slightly different in numerous situations.

It's actually wildly ironic that the loss that ended his streak didn't involve him getting KO'd, or even dropped, or outgrappled. Justin really just outlasted him standing which was always Tony's speciality, though Justin also admittedly got lucky that he got dropped in the 2nd with seconds left so the round ended. It's his losses after Justin that look how I expected his streak to end: Charles and Beneil outgrappled him and exposed his grappling, Chandler KO'd him and exposed his chin, and Nate submitted him to again expose his grappling.

Thanks for that long sum up. Very well thought out and put. That Gaethje fight was hard to watch I mean he threw everything and the kitchen sink at him. That was one heck of a beating he took and I was surprised he lasted as long!!

Jon Jones he hasn't tested himself like DC or mighty mouse by facing the same level of competition BUT have a disadvantage with size and see if he can pass that text. He's just a big pussy and taking advantage.

Back