Fights to Make After UFC Fight Night Allen vs Curtis II

Strickland is ranked number 1 right now. Were Allen to somehow beat him he would take his spot in the rankings. He doesn't deserve that fight, he arguably lost to Curtis.

Cannonier fighting Imamov makes no sense either, he has wins over Vettori and Strickland, he should be in a number one contender fight if not fighting for the title already.

While I agree Cannonier should be getting a title shot right now (and be above Strickland) I can't really do much about that - Allen vs Strickland II sounds way better than Allen vs Vettori, at least to me

But whatever happens, it will be fun to look back and compare notes haha

While I agree Cannonier should be getting a title shot right now (and be above Strickland) I can't really do much about that - Allen vs Strickland II sounds way better than Allen vs Vettori, at least to me

But whatever happens, it will be fun to look back and compare notes haha
Nah. You even called it a title eliminator in your post. Allen doesn't deserve that step up, there's multiple guys who could fight for a title right now. Feed him to Vettori. He gets past that then he can fight with the big boys.

Against who? Izzy isn't fighting down, Sean isn't fighting down, Rob is already fighting Khamzat in a title eliminator. Jared is still not at 100%. Only match up for him is Marvin.

I don't even think Jared should be fighting Imavov. Dude has been doing nothing but fighting down since he lost to Izzy. Plus it doesn't even make sense for Imavov to fight him in the first place considering he just lost to Sean, a guy that Jared beat not long ago. I'd even argue Brendan doesn't really deserve getting Jared either considering how he almost lost to a top 15 guy. Realistically Imavov, Marvin and Brendan should all be fighting each other right now.

The ufc have definitely changed tact - they did that with the lightweight division and people complained it got stale with the same contenders all fighting each other endlessly.

Since then we've seen the top 4 fighting up and comers, and I think that's what we're seeing here too.

We've seen Cannonier fight most of the top guys. We've also seen Strickland fight all the top guys. Allen and Imavov represent the BSD's, Armans, and Fizievs of the division.

At least that is my personal interpretation of what's going on.

Nah. You even called it a title eliminator in your post. Allen doesn't deserve that step up, there's multiple guys who could fight for a title right now. Feed him to Vettori. He gets passed that then he can fight with the big boys.

It would be a contender eliminator for sure.

Maybe Allen will fight Vettori, but I'm not convinced. I can't see Jared getting a title shot anyway, but we'll see. He seems to be out of favour. Maybe the ufc will surprise us and give you what you're asking for.

I'd cut Court, Christos, and Argueta.

Allen vs. Vetorri.

I'm okay with the rest

How can Sean not fight down?? He’s ranked 1 and he’s not getting a title shot down his the only direction he can fight in. Same with Jared. Allen was ranked 6th last night and just won his 7th straight. IMO he should be ranked no lower than 4. (With only Sean Izzy and rob past him)

They could go left field and do Allen vs Usman.

Khamzat won’t get a title shot with a win. He’s not getting a title shot until he can fight in the states the ufc won’t want a champ that can’t fight in Vegas
What I meant is Sean will not fight that far down. Sure Allen is on a win streak but Chris Curtis, ranked #14 nearly derailed him. Almost having your spot taken by a dude that's not even top 10 when you're top 10 is not a good look at all. #6 vs #14 shouldn't even be a close fight. Ranked no lower than 4? Dude Allen isn't that good nor is he deserving enough to take Jared's ranking. It was literally proven last night. Not to mention his best win, Bruno Silva aged terribly with him getting bested by Chris Weidman with no knee's before the eye poke. Allen should be fighting no higher than Vettori next and I don't see Allen getting past him to be honest. Marvin isn't the most skilled dude but he's very strong, has a titanium chin and has a lot of heart. I can see him crumbling against Vettori in later rounds like we saw last night with Chris.

Don’t care to see Allen vs Strickland at all, Allen clearly isn’t a top dude and Strickland would mug him as he did the first time on short notice. Jack vs Allen makes more sense as Allen arguably lost to a fringe top 15 guy that Jack handled pretty easily and they haven’t fought yet either so it’s not a rematch.

Dude Allen isn't that good nor is he deserving enough to take Jared's ranking. It was literally proven last night.
Yeah I Know he isn't that good, and he would lose to anyone ranked above him. you can say pretty easy that he struggled against curtis, but some people argue that strickland beat cannonier as well.

but he should ABSOLUTELY be ranked over jared He hasn't fought since he fought strickland over a year ago, brendan has been active and has been winning he should take his ranking or Jared should have to fight allen for it.

I will also add that if Allen was a dagestani, he'd deserve a title shot and all the higher ranked people would be ducking him. If islam can get title shots from fights against moises and bobby greens and dan hookers, Allen should be able to get a title eliminator off a 7 fight streak with wins over craig, and curtis. Khamzat deserved a MW title shot for beating Holland too apparently. Allen has been fighting often and he has been winning. he should be rewarded. (of course his reward will be a match up he'll surely lose, but he's earned it)

Last edited:
Yeah I Know he isn't that good, and he would lose to anyone ranked above him. you can say pretty easy that he struggled against curtis, but some people argue that strickland beat cannonier as well.

but he should ABSOLUTELY be ranked over jared He hasn't fought since he fought strickland over a year ago, brendan has been active and has been winning he should take his ranking or Jared should have to fight allen for it.

I will also add that if Allen was a dagestani, he'd deserve a title shot and all the higher ranked people would be ducking him. If islam can get title shots from fights against moises and bobby greens and dan hookers, Allen should be able to get a title eliminator off a 7 fight streak with wins over craig, and curtis. Khamzat deserved a MW title shot for beating Holland too apparently. Allen has been fighting often and he has been winning. he should be rewarded. (of course his reward will be a match up he'll surely lose, but he's earned it)
My guy, I think you're forgetting that Jared already defended his spot last year in June against Marvin. Jared has only been inactive since then due to injury. Lol no, Allen really should not be ranked over him. Jared has been fighting down defending his #3-#4 spot for years only losing to Izzy and Rob. Why should the only guy in the top 5 not coming off of a loss be forced to fight down? Allen should be fighting Marvin and no higher right now. Allen only wants to fight up, Marvin just fought up and lost, so he has only to fight down. Him getting Marvin would be a reward. Marvin hasn't lost yet fighting down, only up. If he could beat Marvin then that would certainly get him into position for a title eliminator which I believe would be a lot more fair then leap frogging over Marvin to fight Jared who would just run through him anyways.

He shouldn't be rewarded in the way you think he should for that performance he put on against Chris. If he finished him within a round or 2 I'd have agreed with you but that fight was way too close to warrant anything of the magnitude of a title eliminator. The difference between Allen and Khamzat/Islam is that those two are going the distance with the very best guys, where as Allen is going the distance with #14. Not comparable.

This thread will implode if we wake up on Monday to find Brendan Allen ranked ahead of Marvin Vettori

<36>

Why should the only guy in the top 5 not coming off of a loss be forced to fight down?
He already accepted a fight with Imavov, which is fighting down even lower than Allen.

Allen's next opponent should be someone ranked ahead of him. he's 9-1 in his last 10 and just avenged his 1.

What do you think is reasonable? How many fighters must he beat before he breaks into contention? If you don't think he'll win, I agree. but To bar him from trying? That just obscene. you are right though I forgot about vettori vs cannonier but it was a year ago.

allen was about to fight the higher ranked guy and he pulled out. Allen should Take Vettoris Ranking and fight the Next person Up, Wether It be cannonier vs imavov winner, Izzy vs Dricus loser, or Strickland. Also Costa would suffice although he is ranked a bit lower, close enough to be comparable to allens rank

He already accepted a fight with Imavov, which is fighting down even lower than Allen.

Allen's next opponent should be someone ranked ahead of him. he's 9-1 in his last 10 and just avenged his 1.

What do you think is reasonable? How many fighters must he beat before he breaks into contention? If you don't think he'll win, I agree. but To bar him from trying? That just obscene. you are right though I forgot about vettori vs cannonier but it was a year ago.

allen was about to fight the higher ranked guy and he pulled out. Allen should Take Vettoris Ranking and fight the Next person Up, Wether It be cannonier vs imavov winner, Izzy vs Dricus loser, or Strickland. Also Costa would suffice although he is ranked a bit lower, close enough to be comparable to allens rank
It's only rumored that Jared accepted that fight. Not yet confirmed. I think what would be reasonable for Allen is to either fight Vettori or Imavov, if he beats one of them then he gets to fight one of the guys in the top 4 in a title eliminator. It's not that I'm against Allen trying against a higher ranked guy. I'm just not a fan of guys like Jared and Rob constantly having to fight down to protect their spot while getting next to no upward mobility in return because guys like Sean refusing to fight down, guys like Izzy refusing to fight for anything but a belt and guys like DDP refusing to do what's right and telling Izzy to fuck himself.

It's only rumored that Jared accepted that fight. Not yet confirmed. I think what would be reasonable for Allen is to either fight Vettori or Imavov, if he beats one of them then he gets to fight one of the guys in the top 4 in a title eliminator. It's not that I'm against Allen trying against a higher ranked guy. I'm just not a fan of guys like Jared and Rob constantly having to fight down to protect their spot while getting next to no upward mobility in return because guys like Sean refusing to fight down, guys like Izzy refusing to fight for anything but a belt and guys like DDP refusing to do what's right and telling Izzy to fuck himself.
Rob got what he deserved. He had his two fights with the champ and lost. He Lost by KO like a fight ago to the current champ. He's already lost to 2 of the 3 people ranked ahead of him. his match making has always been fair to him. You can't Blame DDP for wanting to be the one to Nunes-rousey him either. the fight the UFC obviously wants to push, because of the built-in drama. DDP Looking to build a name for him self with a big fist title fight against a name fighter know ppv seller.

MW is just completely fucked right now and log jammed. Allen should have to fight one more then get a title fight..... how is that supposed to work when Whittaker should have to fight one more to get a title fight, and Strickland should have to fight one more to get a title fight, Jared should only have to fight one more to get a title fight, Izzy should only have to fight one more to get a title fight, Khamzat should have to fight one more to get a title fight..... Not all of them are going to get a title fight with their next win. Brendan Allen is the only one who absolutely certainly should. Vettori would have beaten him, Then he'd be "one win away from a title shot" too just like everyone else lol

Last edited:
Allen vs Vettori - Rebook it. His win was not impressive enough to fight a contender. An alternative could be to wait for the loser of Whittaker vs Chimaev
Curtis vs Aliskerov - He needs to fight opponents that get an opportunity to enter the top 15, like Craig with Boralho, Muniz vs Craig, Hermansson vs Joe Pyfer, etc. Aliskerov has a claim to this fight and does not train at Xtreme Couture
Damon Jackson vs Muhammad Naimov - Both may need another win before fighting a ranked fighter It might be the last opportunity for Jackson
Hernandez vs Nurullo Aliev at LW - He is no longer the prospect and should be used now to test up-and-coming fighters. Getting Aliev's 0 could be his motivation
Chepe Mariscal vs Nate the train in the UFC - Mariscal is having good fights vs fan favorites (Peek, Charriere) and should continue with Nate the train
Charriere vs Seung Woo Choi in Paris - Rebook it. He had a good performance and his 2nd bonus in two UFC fights and he is a local fan favorite. Alternatives are to sign Paul Hughes and have Charriere vs Hughes 2 or have Gomis vs Charriere 2 in Paris
Bahamondes vs Zellhuber in the Sphere- Both young prospects, and both have finished Giagos. Zellhuber is a hotter prospect but Bahamondes appears to be more of a finisher. Give him his fight in the Sphere
Charlie Campbell vs Giagos - 2-0 in the UFC. He needs a test vs a veteran of the UFC. Giagos is 0-2 in the last two fights and lost only to good fighters in the UFC (Oliveira, Tsarukyan, Zellhuber, etc.)
Trevor Peek vs Yanal Ashmuz - I agree. Must watch television
Alex Morono vs Matt Brown - Give him the fight
Court McGee should retire. He is 0-3 and has a lot of injuries
Brzeski vs Justin Tafa in the Perth card. He is clearly not an elite fighter but should still fight opponents that he could win
Walker vs Usman - Let's see which brother is the best. He was not underwhelmed by Brzeski so he could still fight the second half of the UFC HW roster and not only Collier or Parisian
Norma Dumont vs Mayra Bueno Silva - They don't like each other. MBS lost the title shot, Norma hasn't lost for a long time. They are good powerful grapplers. Let's make it, if we have a FN in Belo Horizonte headlined by Costa it could be great as both girls are from Minas Gerais
GDR vs Holm 2 if Holm loses vs Harrison, GDR vs Miesha Tate if not. Yes, I don't care about WBW rankings as they are garbage
Victor Hugo vs Heiling to be rebooked. I am not imprezed by his performance vs a guy who joined the UFC and fought on short notice
Falcao vs Caolan Loughran - Try to make him fight a less well-rounded fighter with an easier way to win
Matsumoto vs Javid Basharat - two good prospects. One good grappler vs a well-rounded fighter
Dan Argueta vs Saaiman - Argueta is a good fighter but might need to pace himself. I would like to see Saaiman vs a less talented fighter than CRod and Talbott but still a big wrestler to test where he stands. Loser might leave the UFC
Cesar Almeida vs Abus Magomedov - I prefer to have two kickboxers fighting rather than we had with Budka
Budka goes down to WW and fights Val Woodburn to show he is UFC-worthy
Cornolle vs Pannie Kianzad in Paris - two strikers with high intensity. Yes, I don't care about rankings for WBW as they look like garbage
Melissa Dixon vs Montserrat Rendon in Manchester - Both are 1-1 in the UFC and need a rebound fight. It will good for her to be with a home crowd after Apex fights
I didn't know there was bad blood between Norma Dumont and Mayra Bueno Silva. What's behind that?

I'd cut Court, Christos, and Argueta.

Allen vs. Vetorri.

I'm okay with the rest
I don't think Argueta deserves to be cut. He had a NC against Ronnie Lawrence in a fight he was dominating because the ref mistakenly thought Lawrence tapped and called off the fight too early. Then he lost a UD to Miles Johns but that was overturned to a NC because Johns was caught juicing.
I think he deserves at least 1 or 2 more chances.

Great job as always @Shadey1 !

Argueta vs Falcao should be super fun, but as per the discussion, I'd really wait and see - if the fight is good, I probably wouldn't cut either to be honest!

Matsumoto vs Hugo would be sick - if Jean gets through that, and I think he'll be the favourite, that will be sneaky good win.

Considered McGee vs Salikhov myself, to be honest, both are kinda in the same position.

Like Dumont vs Yana for the booking, would worry the fight might be a stall-fest though!

Ah, good call on Mariscal/Narimov - Mariscal vs Nate the Train is a great fight, and feels realistic too! Would watch.

Falcao vs Caolan would be a fun one, even if it became a brawl, I doubt anyone would complain!

Matsumoto vs Javid, boy, that's a good one - not sure who the favourite would be for that?

And Cornolle vs Pannie makes a lot of sense, too, actually I wrote in my matchmaking section that Cornolle would take Mullins' #15 spot, but maybe she doesn't now that GDR is back? Hmm.

Excellent stuff @Koala
Thanks mate, Loved your work with this event also. Some inspired match making at points. I do see validity in the Argueta/Falcao fight not being loser leaves UFC. Like I mentioned it wouldn't be my absolute preference, but I was just thinking about how overstocked the rosters are talent wise that I could see it happening. Do agree with your comments on Jean/Hugo and Court/Salikhov. You are spot on about Yana and Norma, but TBH I just think it was the original fight and while a win over a former world champion looks good on Norma's resume. GDR isn't ranked and is coming off a layoff so there are some negatives to it. That's why I'd say give her the original that way Dumont fights someone above her in the rankings.

Does anyone think Curtis was a tough fight for Allen, stylistically?

I thought Allen would win more easily than he did, but he still won.

Does Strickland overwhelm him again, I'm honestly not so sure, I want to see Strickland do that now they're both 30+ years old.
Curtis is tough for anyone that plays into his game and tries to "fight" against him. Best bet is to avoid a firefight and stick and move. Allen isnt like that. He is very much a damage first kind of guy so Curtis is specifically hard for him.

Rob got what he deserved. He had his two fights with the champ and lost. He Lost by KO like a fight ago to the current champ. He's already lost to 2 of the 3 people ranked ahead of him. his match making has always been fair to him. You can't Blame DDP for wanting to be the one to Nunes-rousey him either. the fight the UFC obviously wants to push, because of the built-in drama. DDP Looking to build a name for him self with a big fist title fight against a name fighter know ppv seller.

MW is just completely fucked right now and log jammed. Allen should have to fight one more then get a title fight..... how is that supposed to work when Whittaker should have to fight one more to get a title fight, and Strickland should have to fight one more to get a title fight, Jared should only have to fight one more to get a title fight, Izzy should only have to fight one more to get a title fight, Khamzat should have to fight one more to get a title fight..... Not all of them are going to get a title fight with their next win. Brendan Allen is the only one who absolutely certainly should. Vettori would have beaten him, Then he'd be "one win away from a title shot" too just like everyone else lol
DDP was not champ when Rob fought so he was fighting down. Robs last 3 and soon to be 4 have all been fighting down. Although I do agree that his upward mobility has been better than Jared's. Why do you think it's jammed up? it's cause of Izzy and DDP. If DDP ran it back with Sean first and Izzy fought down while he waited we wouldn't be in this predicament. You're only looking at the number of wins instead of who they're fighting. Beating someone in the top 5 is worth more than beating a bunch of top 10-15 guys. Having a 3 fight win streak against guys in the top 5 is worth just as much as Brendan Allens 8 wins or whatever fighting low ranked guys. IMO until a top 5 guy becomes apart of his win streak he shouldn't be given a title shot over the guys that are fighting within the top 5 and are winning. but anyhow, agree to disagree I guess.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardscarf
Back