Fights to Make After UFC Fight Night: Perez vs Nicolau

Siver!

Spinning Back Kick Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Alex Perez vs Brandon Moreno – These two were supposed to meet way back in 2020, but the fight got rebooked and Perez has lost 3 straight since before snapping that skid tonight. Perez looked really sharp, and knocked Nicolau out COLD. His reward should be a fight against someone like Moreno, who is himself on a 2-fight skid. That’s what happens when you fight the elite constantly. May the best man win, this should be fire as long as it lasts.

Matheus Nicolau vs Muhammad Mokaev – I know, I know, Mokaev beat Nicolau but this division is moving at speed now and I really would like to see how Mokaev deals with Nicolau’s grappling. Mokaev can be pretty one-dimensional at times, and Nicolau is a slow and patient dude, but a hell of a Jiu Jitsu practitioner. It’s the right test for Mokaev, who is stuck with Albazi ahead of him right now in my estimations.

Bogdan Guskov vs Azamat Murzakanov – Bogdan Guskov skips the queue by unleashing brutal ground ‘n’ pound on Ryan Spann, knocking him out clean. At only 2-1 in the UFC, that’s a mightily impressive feat, but I can’t help but feel Bogdan still has to earn his spot above someone like Azamat Murzakanov who is 3-0 in the UFC. The beauty of this is they can run it pretty much anywhere in the world.

Ryan Spann vs Philipe Lins – Lins has entered free agency and may thus leave the UFC, but until that’s confirmed, the Brazilian is on a 4-fight win streak is my choice to face Ryan Spann next. Spann has dropped 3 in a row, and this is very much an ‘elevators’ type fight where Spann either proves he belongs, or potentially washes out of the UFC altogether.

Karine Silva vs Katlyn Cerminara – Karine Silva comes through a very tough test against Ariane da Silva and passes the questions about going a full 15 minutes with flying colours. I’d like to see her jump the queue a little bit and face Katlyn Cerminara, who has lost 2 in a row to Manon Fiorot and Maycee Barber, and the door looks to opening just a little bit behind one of the toughest gatekeepers in any division. Can Silva roll on?

Ariane da Silva vs Miranda Maverick – Painful one for Ariane da Silva (nee Lipski) who really didn’t make too many huge mistakes but was ultimately out-wrestled and controlled for extended periods. Ariane is one of the most entertaining fighters at flyweight, and I’d like to see her test #15 Miranda Maverick next. Maverick has won 4 of her last 5 and finally dislodged Andrea Lee from the rankings last time out.

Jhonata Diniz vs Lukasz Brzeski – After Lukasz beat Valter Walker on his UFC debut, I’d like to see him get the chance to snatch another 0 against kickboxer Jhonata Diniz who endured a miserable first round to come back with much improved TDD and just lit Austen Lane up on the feet. At times he couldn’t miss. It was still a hit-and-miss type of performance, though, so let’s not get silly. 1-3 Brzeski is a serious test for Diniz on tonight’s showing.

Austen Lane vs Hamdy Abdelwahab – Hamdy will return from a 2-year drug suspension in July, the 5-0 fighter looking pretty ordinary in a now-overturned split decision win over Don’Tale Mayes in his UFC debut, let’s see if he’s improved at all by putting him against 0-2 Austen Lane. Looks like the right fight for his return, and Lane probably pretty happy not to fight a striker.

David Onama vs Julio Arce – Both fighters won last time out while missing weight, which is a bit embarrassing for veterans of their calibre. Arce has been trading wins and losses lately, and sits as a middle-of-the-pack featherweight, and he needs to start stringing wins together sooner rather than later. For Onama, that’s two in a row, easily the most important win of his career, I want to see him build on that and make weight next time.

Jonathan Pearce vs Gavin Tucker – Tough defeat for JSP who is on a two-fight skid, much like Gavin Tucker who has lost back-to-back efforts against Dan Ige and Diego Lopes. Both are losing to very credible opposition, and have their share of decent wins, but they both badly need to turn things round. Tucker, at 37, is under more pressure than JSP, but Pearce can’t afford another loss by any means either.

Uros Medic vs Chidi Njokuani – Uros Medic shut Tim Means down with a vicious uppercut, and even at this stage that’s not an easy thing to do. Medic has shown he’s a dangerous striker that can be blown away by powerful and well-rounded athletes, but not so much heavy hitters since both losses have come by way of submission. Can Chidi Njokuani light Uros Medic up, or does Medic continue to grow and build on the biggest win of his career? Njokuani is susceptible to getting TKO’d… looks like the right question to ask!

Tim Means vs Sam Patterson – While Tim Means stepping down or getting cut would not be a surprise after going 1-4, the Dirty Bird is a legend at 40 and finished Andre Fialho the previous time out. I’d give him one more assignment, against another lanky welterweight in Sam Patterson, who looked really sharp last time out when he beat down Yohan Lainesse.

Victor Henry vs Cody Garbrandt – They stepped Cody down and he picked up a couple of wins over Trevin Jones and Brian Kelleher and looked sharp doing so but step him back up to the ranked opposition and he’s just not there. Deiveson Figueiredo crushed Cody at UFC 300, and Cody once again needs a change of pace in the new unranked reality he faces. He’s about as high as Victor Henry can shoot at without breaching the top 15, and at the same time he's just not quite put together the type of run to justify someone like #14 Pedro Munhoz or #11 Dom Cruz, even though both fights would be awesome and super competitive. Henry is 36 now and needs a fight like this to justify a top 15 opponent, put it on a numbered event, let’s have some fun between two gunslingers!

Rani Yahya vs Rinya Nakamura – All right, so if Rani wants to fight on, absolutely let him, but just know it’s not going to happen soon and it might not happen in 2024. With that in mind, give him the Japanese freestyle wrestler Rinya Nakamura, a guy who has the tools to keep Yahya standing and put on a clinic, but he’s also going to be facing one of the wiliest Jiu Jitsu players still in the sport and could get caught at any time. Experience can make all the difference. Hopefully by the time such a fight rolled round, Rinya would be 10-0 maybe and ready for that next step. So yeah, file this under ‘speculative, but fun’ as it’s not exactly gonna happen next month.

Austin Hubbard vs Steve Garcia – Garcia has some real forward momentum with 3 straight TKO finishes, but none of them have any real name value. Austin Hubbard may have an overall negative UFC record, but tonight’s win and his TUF performance make him a little more relevant than dudes like Shayilan and Melqy. I think Garcia can cut Hubbard down, too, but Hubbard is double tough and often goes to a decision. Garcia hasn’t won a decision since 2018. Set it up, and push the winner a little further.

Michal Figlak vs Evan Elder – It’s time to step Figlak down from crafty veterans even if some of us scored that fight for him – the bottom line is it was just too close to call at times. Figlak does belong on the UFC roster, but he’s now 0-2 as a result of trying to push him too fast. Give him Evan Elder, coming off a win over Genaro Valdez, but who is 1-2 in the UFC overall. Figlak should be able to execute the blueprint for beating Elder, but in doing so he needs to look impressive.

Don’Tale Mayes vs Justin Tafa – A pair of 4-4 heavyweights who are struggling for momentum but can definitely crack, Mayes vs Tafa will be another fun one between two bruisers. Tafa needs to start living up to his potential, as none of his 4 wins are anything to write home about, and Mayes would definitely be the biggest, toughest opponent on his résumé. He still belongs at this level, however.

Caio Machado vs Valter Walker – Caio Machado is now 0-2 in the UFC without being embarrassed in either fight. Valter Walker was perceived as a letdown in his debut if only because of his shiny 11-0 record, but this is a much more level playing field for both. May the best man win and get on the board.

Ketlen Souza vs Elise Reed – Elise Reed feasts on undercooked strawweight prospects, and has accounted for Cory McKenna, Melly Martinez as well as veteran Jinh Yu Frey, but still holds a negative 3-4 UFC record. She’s a great test for Ketlen now that Souza has her first UFC win in the bag. Feels like an appropriate test for the Brazilian, and I think she might just pass it.

Marnic Mann vs Shauna Bannon – I’ll be honest, I don’t see Mann as UFC level, and not only is she showing that by being 0-2 in the promotion proper, she’s also 0-1 on DWCS. It’s just not there for her, and the size thing doesn’t help either. She’s gritty, though, and tough, and we know she’ll get another chance, the question is, who else doesn’t really look ready? Shauna Bannon is the one for me, 5-1 (0-1 UFC), not convincing at all in her UFC debut, and get this: both have lost to Bruna Brasil.

Chris Padilla vs Melquizael Costa – Padilla produces a significant upset in his UFC debut, using his veteran toughness to endure Llontop’s kicking game, and baiting him time and again into short-lived grappling exchanges. The winning sequence was also quick: Padilla putting the squeeze on Llontop with a sharp RNC, now lets see how he looks second time out! I say give him Melqy Costa, 1-2 in the UFC, a Brazilian veteran who is pretty well-rounded but happened to lose his debut by RNC (to Thiago Moises, mind). Two dangerous veterans, put it on UFC Noche!

James Llontop vs Abdul-Kareem Al-Selwady – James Llontop’s UFC debut saw him choked out in the very first round by the unfancied, unheralded Chris Padilla after missing weight. That’s pretty disastrous for the Peruvian. Give him Abdul-Kareem Al-Selwady and make him travel to one of the Abu Dhabi shows so he understands he’s in the big league and he needs to start shaping up or he’ll be shipping out. That narrative aside, it’s likely a pretty damn good fight and a great opportunity for one of these experienced killers to get a meaningful first win in the UFC. And yes, I’m aware Abdul Kareem is now based in Texas, but no doubt who the Abu Dhabi crowd would back here.

Ivana Petrovic vs Victoria Leonardo – An opportunity, perhaps, for Petrovic to bump off a second UFC flyweight as Victoria Leonardo likely fights for her job with a 1-3 record. One thing Leonardo will test, though, is just how good Petrovic’s top game is, given she hasn’t been submitted since way back in 2018 when Miranda Maverick beat her in Invicta. Leonardo is more susceptible to being TKO’d, but is that something Petrovic can do at this level? Is she well-rounded enough to beat on a reasonably strong grappler?

NOTE: I like the idea of keeping Ivana away fellow rookies like Bleda and Horth as there are plenty of other options.

Na Liang – CUT! Mercifully, perhaps, it’s all over for Na Liang. 0-4 in the UFC, all finishes, it was a minor miracle she get a fourth shot in the big leagues, but enough is enough. Na Liang is not good enough.

Maheshate Hayisaer vs Natan Levy – Two Contender Series alumni who have reached 2-2 in the UFC via completely separate routes, Maheshate and Levy are two different types of fighters who might just produce a little bit of that magical chaos in the Octagon. Levy loves his kicks from range, Maheshate is more of a boxer, while Natan also enjoys a bit of grappling and has a few submissions on his record. A ‘styles make fights’ option for the UFC in a low level lightweight clash.

Gabriel Benitez – CUT! 2-6 in his last 8, 1-4 in his last 5, these are horrible stats. When you factor in Mowgli’s wins in that period are over the long-forgotten Justin Jaynes and Charlie Ontiveros, and he’ll probably follow the pair out the UFC’s revolving door.

Great picks, I agree with a lot of the ranked opponent matches.

I do think Nicolau losing has put a bit of a weird situation in the flyweight division, as Alex now technically has a higher ranked win than Mokaev, but of course, Mokaev has a very recent win over Perez.

Here are the rest of mine:
- Alex Perez vs. Brandon Moreno
- Matheus Nicolau vs. Taira/Van winner
- Bogdan Guskov vs. Oezdemir/Walker Loser
- Ryan Spann vs. Mingyang Zhang
- Karine Silva vs. Katlyn Cerminara
- Ariane Lipski vs. Miranda Maverick
- Jhonata Diniz vs. Jamal Pogues
- Austen Lane RETIRE
- David Onama vs. Billy Quarantillo
- Jonathan Pearce vs. Pat Sabatini
- Uros Medic vs. Muslim Salikhov
- Tim Means vs. Danny Roberts
- Victor Henry vs. Cody Garbrandt
- Rani Yahya RETIRE
- Austin Hubbard vs. Brad Riddell
- Michal Figlak vs. Darrius Flowers
- Don'Tale Mayes vs. Junior Tafa
- Caio Machda vs. UFC debutant
- Ketlen Souza vs. Sam Hughes
- Marnic Mann vs. UFC debutant
- Chris Padilla vs. Gabriel Benitez
- James Llontop vs. Mohammad Yahya
- Ivana Petrovic vs. Mariya Agapova
- Na Liang CUT
- Maheshate Hayisaer vs. Nazim Sadykhov

Great picks, I agree with a lot of the ranked opponent matches.

I do think Nicolau losing has put a bit of a weird situation in the flyweight division, as Alex now technically has a higher ranked win than Mokaev, but of course, Mokaev has a very recent win over Perez.

Here are the rest of mine:
- Alex Perez vs. Brandon Moreno
- Matheus Nicolau vs. Taira/Van winner
- Bogdan Guskov vs. Oezdemir/Walker Loser
- Ryan Spann vs. Mingyang Zhang
- Karine Silva vs. Katlyn Cerminara
- Ariane Lipski vs. Miranda Maverick
- Jhonata Diniz vs. Jamal Pogues
- Austen Lane RETIRE
- David Onama vs. Billy Quarantillo
- Jonathan Pearce vs. Pat Sabatini
- Uros Medic vs. Muslim Salikhov
- Tim Means vs. Danny Roberts
- Victor Henry vs. Cody Garbrandt
- Rani Yahya RETIRE
- Austin Hubbard vs. Brad Riddell
- Michal Figlak vs. Darrius Flowers
- Don'Tale Mayes vs. Junior Tafa
- Caio Machda vs. UFC debutant
- Ketlen Souza vs. Sam Hughes
- Marnic Mann vs. UFC debutant
- Chris Padilla vs. Gabriel Benitez
- James Llontop vs. Mohammad Yahya
- Ivana Petrovic vs. Mariya Agapova
- Na Liang CUT
- Maheshate Hayisaer vs. Nazim Sadykhov

Like a lot of these, don't mind Nicolau vs Taira/Van winner at all, especially if Taira wins!

Guskov did lost to Volkan, so if that's Walker in the end, then absolutely!

Thought I might be the only one going for Karine vs Katlyn, but happy to see you chose that - same with Henry-Garbrandt!

Looks like we're pretty in synch this week - Hubbard-Riddell is a nice piece of work, though, wouldn't mind that at all, same with Medic-Salikhov.

Good stuff!

Like a lot of these, don't mind Nicolau vs Taira/Van winner at all, especially if Taira wins!

Guskov did lost to Volkan, so if that's Walker in the end, then absolutely!

Thought I might be the only one going for Karine vs Katlyn, but happy to see you chose that - same with Henry-Garbrandt!

Looks like we're pretty in synch this week - Hubbard-Riddell is a nice piece of work, though, wouldn't mind that at all, same with Medic-Salikhov.

Good stuff!
I was hesitant on the Guskov one, the way I see it, the UFC are pushing him fast for whatever reason. So I feel a top 10 opponent is next. Walker of course would be great, but you could also push Bogdan getting one back over Oezdemir, and having a full training camp to do so this time.

However, if Smith picks up a loss next week, maybe you do Guskov/Smith just for the meme of it.

Gabriel Benitez vs. James Llontop - Both coming off losses tonight. Think this could be a potential loser leaves UFC bout.
Hayisaer Maheshate vs. Chris Padilla - Both men won tonight. No harm in matching them up against one another.
Na Liang - Cut - She doesn't get another fight in the UFC IMO.
Ivana Petrovic vs. Antonina Shevchenko - Solid win for Petrovic to get her first UFC victory. I think a bout with Antonina would make for an interesting next step for both.
Marnic Mann - Cut - 0-2 in the octagon, I don't see another fight coming her way. If she gets one more, it's a loser leaves UFC fight.
Ketlen Souza vs. Yazmin Jauregui - Good for Souza getting her first win in the octagon. I like this bout against someone also coming off a win following a loss.
Caio Machado vs. Austen Lane - Both could be cut but it's Heavyweight MMA. I wouldn't rule out them each getting one more. In which case we get a loser leaves town bout.
Don'Tayle Mayes vs. Jhonata Diniz - He struggled more than I expected in his UFC debut but a win is a win for Diniz. IMO a fight with another victorious Heavyweight this evening is the move.
Michal Figlak vs. Darrius Flowers - Loser leaves UFC.
Austin Hubbard vs. Trey Ogden - Good win for Hubbard. I think a fight between him and Ogden would be fascinating. Especially with Ogden beating the man who last beat Hubbard.
Rani Yayha vs. Cody Gibson - Must win fight for both men, this could potentially be a loser leaves UFC bout.
Victor Henry vs. Douglas Silva De Andrade - Two veterans coming off wins. I like this fight for their next steps.
Tim Means vs. Court McGee - Two gritty veterans coming off losses. Much needed turn around for both.
Uros Medic vs. Alex Morono - Both coming off wins recently. I think this fight makes sense for the pair.
Jonathan Pearce vs. Ricardo Ramos - Must win fight for both men to break respective 2 fight losing streaks.
David Onama vs. Youssef Zalal - Winner of this one could find themselves matched up with a ranked opponent.
Ariane Da Silva vs. Amanda Ribas - Both women coming off losses. Must win for both to retain their spots in the rankings.
Karine Silva vs. Tracy Cortez - Winner of this one will get an opponent in the top 5.
Ryan Spann vs. Menifield/Ulberg loser - Spann is in danger of dropping out the rankings. He will need a win in this one to remain ranked.
Bogdan Guskov vs. Smith/Petrino winner - Great showing for Guskov, I think this is a great next bout for him.
Matheus Nicolau vs. Elliott/Taira winner - Nicolau drops out the top 5 after this loss. I think he stays in the top ten and I do like this bout
Alex Perez vs. Manel Kape - Let's give Perez a fight with the man who he stepped in for.

Gabriel Benitez vs. James Llontop - Both coming off losses tonight. Think this could be a potential loser leaves UFC bout.
Hayisaer Maheshate vs. Chris Padilla - Both men won tonight. No harm in matching them up against one another.
Na Liang - Cut - She doesn't get another fight in the UFC IMO.
Ivana Petrovic vs. Antonina Shevchenko - Solid win for Petrovic to get her first UFC victory. I think a bout with Antonina would make for an interesting next step for both.
Marnic Mann - Cut - 0-2 in the octagon, I don't see another fight coming her way. If she gets one more, it's a loser leaves UFC fight.
Ketlen Souza vs. Yazmin Jauregui - Good for Souza getting her first win in the octagon. I like this bout against someone also coming off a win following a loss.
Caio Machado vs. Austen Lane - Both could be cut but it's Heavyweight MMA. I wouldn't rule out them each getting one more. In which case we get a loser leaves town bout.
Don'Tayle Mayes vs. Jhonata Diniz - He struggled more than I expected in his UFC debut but a win is a win for Diniz. IMO a fight with another victorious Heavyweight this evening is the move.
Michal Figlak vs. Darrius Flowers - Loser leaves UFC.
Austin Hubbard vs. Trey Ogden - Good win for Hubbard. I think a fight between him and Ogden would be fascinating. Especially with Ogden beating the man who last beat Hubbard.
Rani Yayha vs. Cody Gibson - Must win fight for both men, this could potentially be a loser leaves UFC bout.
Victor Henry vs. Douglas Silva De Andrade - Two veterans coming off wins. I like this fight for their next steps.
Tim Means vs. Court McGee - Two gritty veterans coming off losses. Much needed turn around for both.
Uros Medic vs. Alex Morono - Both coming off wins recently. I think this fight makes sense for the pair.
Jonathan Pearce vs. Ricardo Ramos - Must win fight for both men to break respective 2 fight losing streaks.
David Onama vs. Youssef Zalal - Winner of this one could find themselves matched up with a ranked opponent.
Ariane Da Silva vs. Amanda Ribas - Both women coming off losses. Must win for both to retain their spots in the rankings.
Karine Silva vs. Tracy Cortez - Winner of this one will get an opponent in the top 5.
Ryan Spann vs. Menifield/Ulberg loser - Spann is in danger of dropping out the rankings. He will need a win in this one to remain ranked.
Bogdan Guskov vs. Smith/Petrino winner - Great showing for Guskov, I think this is a great next bout for him.
Matheus Nicolau vs. Elliott/Taira winner - Nicolau drops out the top 5 after this loss. I think he stays in the top ten and I do like this bout
Alex Perez vs. Manel Kape - Let's give Perez a fight with the man who he stepped in for.
Zalal was on Onama's corner, unlikely they fight
Elliott vs Taira has been called off, Taira is fighting Joshua Van
I like Hubbard vs Ogden, Means vs McGee and Medic vs Morono

Zalal was on Onama's corner, unlikely they fight
Elliott vs Taira has been called off, Taira is fighting Joshua Van
I like Hubbard vs Ogden, Means vs McGee and Medic vs Morono

Thank you for the heads up here, I wasn't aware of the Zalal/Onama thing. I think Kyle Nelson would make a suitable replacement for David Onama. Both have little win streaks going, so I think that makes sense.

Wasn't aware of Elliott pulling out. In which case I think Tagir Ulanbekov would be a good fight for Nicolau. He needs a step down coming off these two stoppages.

Alex Perez vs Albazi - Moreno is semi-retired, he already fought Mokaev, Kape and Kara France are expected to fight in the Perth card. He might have to wait for September - October and Albazi to be ready and fight him maybe in the Abu Dhabi PPV. Alternative could be loser of Erceg vs Pantoja

Nicolau vs winner of Taira vs Van - Nicolau needs some time off and will have to fight prospects after that as he is right now 0-2

Guskov vs Anthony Smith - Bogdan has just beaten #11 and lost to #9. Let's make him fight #10 Anthony Smith. It could be the main event of a FN with Gastelum vs Haqparast as the co-main

Spann vs winner of Sy vs Bellatto - I expect Spann to fight prospects out of the rankings now and I would like to see him fight new blood rather than fighters that have been in the UFC for ages

Karine Silva vs Ribas - A decision doesn't propel Silva in the upper rankings and Ribas needs an opponent who she didn't already face. Besides, Ribas is always difficult to figure out as she is quite well-rounded for a woman fighter

Lipski vs Miranda Maverick - Ranking-wise, it makes sense and they never fought while being in the UFC for a few years

Diniz vs Junior Tafa - Let them bang. I don't want Diniz to be grapplefucked
Austen Lane vs Valter Walker - Lane should fight a less lethal fighter. If he loses, he might be cut
Onama vs loser of Woodson vs Caceres - Controversial win, not sure he's ready to fight ranked opponents
JSP vs winner of Jean Silva vs William Gomis - He should fight prospects now. Next week, Gomis vs Silva will be a good test and the winner should fight a seasoned vet like JSP to know where he stands
Henry vs Cody Garbrandt - He is already quite old in a division with lots of unranked prospects. It's better to book him with a known veteran, maybe in a PPV or high in a FN main card
Yahya vs Dan Argueta - Yahya struggled with a high-level unranked dog.. Let's test if he still has it with a lower-level dog
Tim Means vs Court McGee - It could be a nice retirement fight
Hubbard vs Charlie Campbell - Both durable fun fighters coming from a win
Figlak vs Chris Duncan in a UK card
Mayes vs Parkin
Machado vs Muhammad Usman
- Both lost to Parkin and are struggling to find momentum in the UFC
Ketlen Souza vs Stoliarenko - Mann was not at her level but won some grappling exchanges. Let's test that with Stoliarenko who beat up McCann in the past because she didn't have grappling skills
Mann - Cut
Padilla vs Benitez - He asked for this fight at Mexican Day Why not?
Llontop vs Gabe Green - Rebook it. I guess Llontop would want this quick
Petrovic vs loser of Andrea Lee vs Montana de la Rosa - She's 1-1 in the UFC but her win didn't look good. I think she still has to fight unranked win some lose some fighter
Liang Na - Cut
Hayisaer vs Anshal Jubli - Rebook it. I think that Hayisaer is average

Back