First Ezekiel Attempt From the Bottom in UFC History?

Love the Ezekiel. Top or bottom, just slap it on and squeeze. My go to move, works way too often! :D

FUN FACT: this technique, like the Kimura, was named after a Judoka.

The choke became associated with the judoka Ezequiel Paraguassu from the time he spent at Carlson Gracie’s gym in Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro in 1988 while preparing for the 1988 Olympics in South Korea. While training at the gym he had a hard time trying to escape the closed guards of his opponents. Growing increasingly frustrated he decided to use the judo technique and managed to submit a number of his opponents. After a while he was asked to teach the technique to the other students and they soon began referring to it as the Ezequiel choke.

a locked up ezekiel? it's over. There is no room to twist your hips. it's a sub you have to tap to quickly when locked. try to move your hips people will just follow you.
A good defense is to pull the attacker's torso/shoulders in close. Your natural instinct is to use your hips to push him away, but that just gives him room to extend his arms and sink the choke in deeper. If you hold his upper body close and don't let him extend his arms, you have a better shot at surviving.

Good luck locking an Ezekiel from inside the guard. That’s day one shit you’re taught to defend. As soon as you reach around my head it’s armbar city all day.

eight years of bjj, never been tapped by anyone that’s inside of my guard.
Same here, buddeh. They just pass my guard and then tap me

<{you!}>

I’ve only gotten the ezekiel from top mount, I don’t think I could ever get it on someone from their guard if they had any idea about what they are doing. But then again, I get smashed repeatedly against a lot of people haha

I thought you more grabbed your foot to press your shin into their throat more. The way Aoki did it seemed to be focusing more on lifting his head so he could press the shin. I mean it's the little things ofc, but I guess it's because he was doing it from mount instead of his back.
2mch8k7_medium.gif

gomidiaz13_medium_medium.gif

Grabbing behind the head is the more common finish.

Don't think I ever sat through the entire fight.
I don't blame you. I watched it live after talking up how much of a dominant force Royce was and how amazing Royce was on the ground, only for him to get GnP'd for a half an hour and come out with a clear loss by today's standards. Any still with Royce on the bottom should show you him wrapping his arm around the back of the neck and struggling to sneak his wrist under Ken's neck. Ken fought it well, and the announcers were pretty clueless as to what was going on the whole time.

I don't blame you. I watched it live after talking up how much of a dominant force Royce was and how amazing Royce was on the ground, only for him to get GnP'd for a half an hour and come out with a clear loss by today's standards. Any still with Royce on the bottom should show you him wrapping his arm around the back of the neck and struggling to sneak his wrist under Ken's neck. Ken fought it well, and the announcers were pretty clueless as to what was going on the whole time.
Just "watched" it. The commentators definitely knew what was going on. Go to 24:30:

The notion that Royce would have had a "clear loss", is not obviously true. Per fightmetric, Royce outstruck Shamrock 355-98, with Shamrock having only a slight edge in significant strikes: http://ufcstats.com/fight-details/db8df615610f3632

Compare that to the Rutten/Randleman stats. 181-56 in favour of Rutten, with Randleman having the slight edge on significant strikes: http://ufcstats.com/fight-details/73c07530f667289f

Last edited:
Just "watched" it. The commentators definitely knew what was going on. Go to 24:30:

The notion that Royce would have had a "clear loss", is not obviously true. Per fightmetric, Royce outstruck Shamrock 355-98, with Shamrock having only a slight edge in significant strikes: http://ufcstats.com/fight-details/db8df615610f3632

Compare that to the Rutten/Randleman stats. 181-56 in favour of Rutten, with Randleman having the slight edge on significant strikes: http://ufcstats.com/fight-details/73c07530f667289f

I completely forgot about Virtuosity. I remember they had that one scene with a tag team NHB fight going on. Damn.

Good luck locking an Ezekiel from inside the guard. That’s day one shit you’re taught to defend. As soon as you reach around my head it’s armbar city all day.

eight years of bjj, never been tapped by anyone that’s inside of my guard.

I mean youre not supposed to get tapped by it. It's more of a sub about catching someone sleeping/resting from closed guard. Or just totally exhausted.

Back