International First US troops killed in Mideast since start of Gaza war

They got attacked because of Israel. The soldiers are essentially there to be meat shields and assume no one is dumb enough to kill American soldiers and pull the US into a war. But after Israel, the Middle East is far too volatile and seems to leading towards a much larger conflict.

No they weren't. They were there because of the ongoing civil war in Syria. From the CNN article:

The killing of three Americans at Tower 22 in Jordan near the border with Syria is a significant escalation of an already-precarious situation in the Middle East.
It’s unclear why air defenses failed to intercept the drone, which appears to be the first known attack on Tower 22 since attacks on US and coalition forces began October 17. US forces at the outpost are there as part of an "advise and assist" mission with Jordan.

Last time I checked, Jordan wasn't at war with Israel.

2 seals had died a couple weeks ago on a mission. Wasn’t due to enemy fire, but I would count them because it was in the line of duty.
I didn't know. What happened? Was is the classic "night training mission"?

infrared plus fast projectile goes through the canopy i think

We ran some drone tests over forest in summer few years back and you could not see shit over treeline in summer with thermal

Infrared will likely be same since trees/leaves /whatever block sight, you cant see "through"

But im no drone expert lol

Doubt biden will

Don’t know if true or even remember the numbers. I think I saw you have a military background Cole, so you might have some insight. What would you say the cost ratio is for the drone to the price of shooting them down?

I THINK I read that a drone cost just a few thousand, where as it cost millions to shoot one down.

Again, no idea how true that is, but these drones are quite scary. Imagine in 10 years when it is just drones and those robo dogs with machine guns mounted on them lol

Yeah cost ratio for drones is massive hence why every military is trying to find cheaper way to shoot them down

From what i read the attacks before on US bases in Syria and Iraq have nothing to do with the Israeli/Palestine war.
I mean if you look at the map for Syrian conflict.

The Opposition in idlib, Syria are also Jihadists. Yellow Kurds and other green Turkish backed groups.
Syrian Who Controls What

I didn't know. What happened? Was is the classic "night training mission"?

They were intercepting a boat with Iranian weapons heading to Yemen. The official story is one Seal fell in and another jumped in after him to save him. Then they were taken by the currents and lost at sea.

2 seals had died a couple weeks ago on a mission. Wasn’t due to enemy fire, but I would count them because it was in the line of duty.

Fair point to recognize those seals who died.

The significance of this escalation shouldn't be lost, however.

This is a truly terrible situation. This war has festered for too long already, and nothing good can come of all this.

Those against a ceasefire are sleepwalking towards a much more serious and dangerous world for all of us.

Ceasefire, now, for all involved.

Fair point to recognize those seals who died.

The significance of this escalation shouldn't be lost, however.

This is a truly terrible situation. This war has festered for too long already, and nothing good can come of all this.

Those against a ceasefire are sleepwalking towards a much more serious and dangerous world for all of us.

Ceasefire, now, for all involved.
I think there still some ~200 hostages (aren't some of these US-citizens?) that'd like to go home first

I think there still some ~200 hostages (aren't some of these US-citizens?) that'd like to go home first

Ceasefire being the way to ensure their release.

Ceasefire being the way to ensure their release.
They had a temporary ceasefire that was supposed to be extended, but Hamas refused to hand over more hostages.

But yeah, they should stop trying to free their own citizens, allow Hamas to reorganise and accept their pinky promise that some day they might release hostages.

Right, and let Hamas continue to fester in Gaza, recuperate, and receive another opportunity to attack the Israelis?

Better than a World War, bud.

Every measure should be taken now to prevent that.

The assault on Hamas can continue during the rebuilding of Gaza, but it can't happen by way of artillery, air strikes or constant use of tanks.

They had a temporary ceasefire that was supposed to be extended, but Hamas refused to hand over more hostages.

But yeah, they should stop trying to free their own citizens, allow Hamas to reorganise and accept their pinky promise that some day they might release hostages.

This is such a silly argument.

Hamas aren't a military power capable of attacking Israel unless Israel thoroughly shit the bed by way of incompetent leadership.

They also aren't a military power that can simply be annihilated, as the worse the scenario is in Gaza, the more likely angry young people are to step forward in 5 years time to replace those Hamas terrorists that were killed.

This has been explained so many times, and even those in Israel are under no illusion there cannot be total victory over Hamas. The only people pretending that there can be are bad actors like Netanyahu, and I doubt very much he believes it either.

Back