Media Fiziev goes in on Gaethje for refusing to fight him

Fiz will send Gaethje to BKFC where guys with his fight IQ belong.

Sorry Fizzy you're just not that good yet. Bobby Green was laying the smackdown on ya

Fizzy just has to understand that it's just business that American fighters must be protected and coddled in the UFC LW top 10

I'm being hyperbolic, of course, but isn't that a crazy stat? I'll add Michael Johnson (3-6 since) and that means Gaethje's 6 UFC wins are a combined 6-22-1 after fighting him. So, were they truly top 10 caliber? Or were they cherry-picked, over-the-hill rank squatters? Rhetorical questions, just playing devil's advocate.
Similarly, his 4 losses have all been to undeniably great fighters in their primes but they also all finished him (and I just double-checked Sherdog PBP and confirmed he didn't win so much as one of the 10 rounds) so while there's not necessarily any shame in that, there's nothing particularly impressive about it either.
Not trying to hate on Justin (or pick a fight with you,) but I just noticed this now and I think it's really interesting.

You're being a bit harsh but only a bit, Tony was a huge win for Justin regardless of how Tony's career ended up going after. Tony was an elite LW for years but it is definitely possible Tony was beginning to slow down, he got rocked and dropped in many of his fights during his win streak (Lando, Pettis, Kevin Lee all dropped him that I can remember). To think at 36 and over 30 MMA fights that it might have been catching up to Tony for a while and Justin just exposed that to the world isn't unreasonable. I also have this belief that 155lbs was actually a pretty shallow division there for a while as so many guys began to age out of their primes but still remained in the top 10. Divisions go through culling processes and then periods of regrowth again, some eras are also simply better and worse than others.

Truly the rest of Gaethjes wins up until Chandler turned out to be crap, Barboza? Was definitely a chinny journey man who couldn't handle pressure. Vick? Was a very low level guy. Michael Johnson? Similar to Barboza, both talented but just inconsistent and incomplete journeymen types. Cerrone? Was well past his prime had been knocked out several times leading up to the Gaethje fight and had already turned into a journeyman himself. The Chandler win is more legit, I don't think that highly of Chandler and feel he's overranked due to having legit name value and an all American image but I still feel like Chandlers a dangerous fight for most top 10 guys, although I think I'd favor every single top 10 fighter over him if they fought.

Basically all of Gaethjes win have losing records in the UFC over the last 5 years, none of them aged well but it just doesn't matter because he became a title contender and a household name...He makes 500k show money and is a fan favorite, he will always get easier roads to and back to the title because of this and he will protect his standing because it's really all he's got, he's a brand more than a fighter these days. It just sucks because he's entitled and wants title shots handed to him without having to take fights or put win streaks together like the other guys.

And you're right, Dustin, Alvarez, Khabib and Oliveira handled him. Although I'd say his performances were respectable, he arguably deserved round 1 vs Khabib but Khabib was just there to gas Gaethje out who has trash endurance (so does Chandler), he hurt Oliveira and had his moments but definitely got outclassed there, his fights with Alvarez and Poirier were wars, Justin was clearly the lesser fighter but he hurt them and made it competitive somewhat too. Justin's formidable, he's just very flawed...bad cardio, sloppy striking, bad defense, horrible grappling, solid takedown defense it would appear. He hits hard, has great hand speed and kicks like a mule even from in close he's a God damn savage with loads of heart, an overachiever but he is flawed and hasn't ever improved much, a finished product that Tony fight was more of a false alarm.

Fizzy just has to understand that it's just business that American fighters must be protected and coddled in the UFC LW top 10
Justin has fought ranked top ten contenders since he entered the UFC. Even his first fight was ranked. Ten straight fights against ranked opponents. I think they are almost all fight/performance of the night bonuses. Nobody else in LW had to deal with that type of match up outside of Alvarez. I am not a Justin fan at all. You can argue he got an unfair title shot but he isn't coddled.

Funny how much slack you get as a Sherdog darling.

Compare the way people react to Justin avoiding a fight with a guy who arguably should be matched up with him in the division he's vying for a title in to Khamzat not immedaitely accepting a fight with Costa 3 minutes after beating Holland to being a duck, scared, gourmet chechen bla bla bla

This fight absolutely makes sense and Gaethje clearly has no intention of fighting anyone but Conor, Chandler or Dustin.

Never change, Sherdog.

Gaethje devolves into a sloppy banger once you take away his leg kicks.
Fiziev was the literal striking coach for Tiger Muay Thai, I think he’s seen a leg kick or two in his day.
Fiziev KO’s Gaethje easily.

LOL, sure. The guy who was getting his head bounced around like a Basketball by Bobby Green?? Gaethje hits him like that once, twice and lights out.

Your points are actually very very false. I don't want to hurt your feelings, this may hurt but you'll learn a few thing or two. Point form to make it easy.

1. Justin doesn't actually turn into a sloppy brawler when his kicks are taken away or when he chooses not to use them. Tony Ferguson actually landed more kicks and Justin didn't go heavy on his that fight. But yet it was his best striking performance, picking Tony apart and finishing him. He was patient, precise and broke Tony down round by round. And thats Tony on a 12 fight win streak on top of his game. What turns Gatehje more into a brawler is a pressure and fast pace fight, Fiviez doesn't really apply that style of fight.

2. If Fiziev is so brilliant and seen a "leg kick or two" then he wouldn't get his head kick off by Mustaev. Leg kick, head kick, same thing when were talking about understanding high level striking defense. Brad Riddell landed more leg kicks on Fiviez than the other way around, I think Justin will find a way to land his.

LOL, sure. The guy who was getting his head bounced around like a Basketball by Bobby Green?? Gaethje hits him like that once, twice and lights out.

Your points are actually very very false. I don't want to hurt your feelings, this may hurt but you'll learn a few thing or two. Point form to make it easy.

1. Justin doesn't actually turn into a sloppy brawler when his kicks are taken away or when he chooses not to use them. Tony Ferguson actually landed more kicks and Justin didn't go heavy on his that fight. But yet it was his best striking performance, picking Tony apart and finishing him. He was patient, precise and broke Tony down round by round. And thats Tony on a 12 fight win streak on top of his game. What turns Gatehje more into a brawler is a pressure and fast pace fight, Fiviez doesn't really apply that style of fight.

2. If Fiziev is so brilliant and seen a "leg kick or two" then he wouldn't get his head kick off by Mustaev. Leg kick, head kick, same thing when were talking about understanding high level striking defense. Brad Riddell landed more leg kicks on Fiviez than the other way around, I think Justin will find a way to land his.

You're underrating Brad Riddell (who got stopped by him.) and Mustaev.

Gaethje just had surgery and has said he isn't fighting until sometime next year. Fiziev should move on and angle for a fight with someone else unless he plans on sitting out the next half year or so.

You guys got this wrong. Fiziev fought RDA, fought up in the rankings. He should fight down in the rankings now

Gaethje has been through the meat grinder in his past couple of fights. If he wants to take a little time off I'm okay with that.

Last edited:
You're underrating Brad Riddell (who got stopped by him.) and Mustaev.

Not at all. He's a great kickboxer, so is Justin in mma. Point is that if Riddel can find the mark, so can Justin

I think Gaethje is going to fight Conor at Welterweight in 2023. <Eek2.0>

There goes the leg kick, and there starts the sloppy banging:
PleasingCreativeAmurminnow-size_restricted.gif

The entire fight looked like this. At one point Gaethje threw himself completely off his feet with the biggest overhand swing I’ve ever seen.

i like fiziev and i get he wants to fight gaethje, but if gaethje doesn’t want the fight, move and look for a fight with someone that will accept. we don’t want him to end up with an obsession like ferguson with khabib.

That is a ridiculous thing to say.

JG is sitting on his rank and refusing to fight to maintain his spot. He should absolutely be getting called out for that.

Back