Social Florida Schools will teach slavery brought personal benefit to black people

I was thinking about this yesterday and was reminded of something. Just an anecdote. I was born in Florida and went to school there up until 8th grade, then had to move to Virginia. So all my life going to school in the South, most of it in Florida. I never knew about Rosewood until I saw the movie:

I never knew this happened until adulthood, that movie came out when I graduated HS, and there were survivors of this still alive:

Although as an adult I did actually stop in Rosewood on my way out of Florida when I moved to Vegas. Just standing where that happened was a surreal experience, similar to visiting Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia, but more cathartic. But not a single mention in any History class, not even in the State it happened in.

Last edited:
Reading the actual updated Florida social
Studies standards, it doesn’t seem nearly as crazy as many seem to be making it out to be.

https://www.fldoe.org/core/fileparse.php/20653/urlt/6-4.pdf

Am I missing something? Discussing the ways slaves may have “benefited” has limited educational value at best and should probably just be omitted. In the context of what’s around that verbiage, It doesn’t appear to me like the suggestion is there were some big positives of slavery for slaves. It looks more like a poor choice of words. And the curriculum as a whole seems pretty on par with the rest of the country. Someone please tell me what I missed here.

Reading the actual updated Florida social
Studies standards, it doesn’t seem nearly as crazy as many seem to be making it out to be.

https://www.fldoe.org/core/fileparse.php/20653/urlt/6-4.pdf

Am I missing something? Discussing the ways slaves may have “benefited” has limited educational value at best and should probably just be omitted. In the context of what’s around that verbiage, It doesn’t appear to me like the suggestion is there were some big positives of slavery for slaves. It looks more like a poor choice of words. And the curriculum as a whole seems pretty on par with the rest of the country. Someone please tell me what I missed here.

What you seem to be missing is that the Governor and the makers of this have both defended the alleged benefits of slavery with regards to learning skills they were able to utilize after emancipation, and political pundits have already made similar comparisons to the Holocaust, as well as just defending the idea that slavery might have been good for some people in some contexts. Then there's other problems:

"Any attempt to reduce slaves to just victims of oppression fails to recognize their strength, courage and resilience during a difficult time in American history," they said. But the Tampa Bay Times found that some of the people listed by the working group were not enslaved when they developed these skills or were freed at a young age. For example, Booker T. Washington, who was enslaved until he was 9, worked in mines and as a houseboy before entering school and later becoming a teacher."

There were a few other freed men included in this nonsense. Born free and were never slaves. Why would you discuss them in this context unless you're trying to silver line slavery?

"Marvin Dunn, a psychology professor emeritus at Florida International University, has authored several books on the history of African Americans.

"Most enslaved people had no special skills at all that benefited them following their enslavement," Dunn said. "For almost all their skill was picking cotton. An enslaved man who was made to be a blacksmith might have been a king had he not been captured and taken from his country. Is he supposed to be grateful? Enslavement prevented people from becoming who and what they might have been and that was slavery's greatest injury to humankind."

Dunn added that "there was no upside to slavery that applied to the enslaved."

Katheryn Russell-Brown, a law professor and director of the Race and Crime Center for Justice at the University of Florida, said the standards lack important context.

Russell-Brown said the standards offer "no discussion" of people who enslaved others. Much of the attention given to white people relates to how whites stood up against slavery, such as assisting with the Underground Railroad and support for Reconstruction policies for freed Blacks after the Civil War. It includes some information about groups opposed to "American equality," such as the Ku Klux Klan.

Bruce Levine, an emeritus professor of history at the University of Illinois and author of "Half Slave & Half Free: The Roots of Civil War," was one of several scholars of the period who told PolitiFact that they rejected the value of spotlighting "skills" learned while enslaved.

"Very simply, can you imagine saying this about ‘skills’ developed in Nazi forced-labor camps?" he said.

Carol Anderson, an African American studies professor at Emory University, said the standards represent an "old argument that slavery was a benevolent institution that benefited the enslaved."

"It has the racist underpinning of treating Africans as if they had no skills prior to being kidnapped from their homelands and trafficked to America," Anderson said. "In fact, it was Africans’ skills in cultivating tobacco, sugar and rice that proved beneficial to the enslavers and built the inordinate wealth of the United States. The question itself is dehumanizing."

Added Ashley Rogers Berner, director of the Johns Hopkins Institute for Education Policy: "It is not common for state standards to include language about the ‘benefit’ to enslaved persons of learning trades."

Last edited:
Weird move after he literally told reporters he didn't know much about it and didnt construct it.
He is all over the place because he campaign has been an utter failure.
BTW he is using Florida Taxpayer money to campaign.
There was a reason there was a law that if you ran for President you had to resign from Governor, but the Manlet Meatball got a law changed that only effected him.
He also changed the law, so his travel is shielded, so Floridians cant see our taxes are going to a failed Presidential bid.
https://www.businessinsider.com/desantis-travel-records-will-be-hidden-under-new-law-2023-5
In hindsight, it was a good idea because at least he has a job to come back too after his utter failure of a Presidential run.,

He is all over the place because he campaign has been an utter failure.
BTW he is using Florida Taxpayer money to campaign.
There was a reason there was a law that if you ran for President you had to resign from Governor, but the Manlet Meatball got a law changed that only effected him.
He also changed the law, so his travel is shielded, so Floridians cant see our taxes are going to a failed Presidential bid.
https://www.businessinsider.com/desantis-travel-records-will-be-hidden-under-new-law-2023-5
In hindsight, it was a good idea because at least he has a job to come back too after his utter failure of a Presidential run.,

Yeah I saw that this morning, good of him to socialize his campaign while Floridians are paying taxes and inflation rates out the wazoo. Unless you're rich

Hey remember when the reactionaries said Florida's dont say gay law was just about protecting K-3 kids from being groomed? Turns out it also bans AP psych for HS students as well, not that that wasnt bullsh*t from the beginning, you're just literally not allowed to discuss sexuality or gender identity in ANY school:

Florida tells schools AP Psychology course with LGBTQ+ content violates law https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/aug/03/florida-ap-psychology-course-state-law-lgbtq

Has anyone mentioned yet that just this week, the Florida DPI has approved PragerU videos for use in public school civics instruction?

https://time.com/6301287/florida-prageru-education-schools/

It's going to be a matter of time before colleges in other states start rejecting applicants, and national boards such as International Baccalaureate stop issuing accreditation. The sad thing is, all this damage to a generation of kids is for one man to impress a bunch of chuds in Iowa.

Has anyone mentioned yet that just this week, the Florida DPI has approved PragerU videos for use in public school civics instruction?

https://time.com/6301287/florida-prageru-education-schools/

It's going to be a matter of time before colleges in other states start rejecting applicants, and national boards such as International Baccalaureate stop issuing accreditation. The sad thing is, all this damage to a generation of kids is for one man to impress a bunch of chuds in Iowa.
if PragerU's content is actually about the topic of civics and not a sneaky attempt to bring in sex, race, etc. then I'm fine with it.

if PragerU's content is actually about the topic of civics and not a sneaky attempt to bring in sex, race, etc. then I'm fine with it.

Oh they definitely discuss race and sex, I'm just sure it's more in the political context you agree with so you'll still be fine with it.

Also they're not a "U"...they're not an educational entity. You'll be fine with that as well because they support your politics. You'll say something like how the actual U's cant be trusted because of "indoctrination" but will be perfectly fine with this reactionary group's blatant indoctrination material.

Back