Florida Senate passes Bill that makes it an infraction to drive slow in the left lane

Only thing more annoying is people merging onto the highway and thinking traffic needs to yield to them.
When I was a kid a guy fresh off the boat from India did this and turned aggressively into the oncoming traffic and my family's car T-boned him. The guy had a fairly new car, but we had an old beast from the 80s. Needless to say our car was totally fine and his was completely destroyed. Thankfully he had no serious injuries.

I drive the speed limit in the left lane and if you are in a rush it's not my fault - leave earlier next time

Never got a ticket
When I was younger I had a similar attitude, but I changed my tune as I got older. The idea is that it makes the roads overall more efficient thus benefitting society. I leave for work 2 hours before my shift starts and I usually get there 30 mins early, but I always leave 2 hours early anyways because it only takes 1 guy driving slow in the left lane to delay me and hundreds of other people 30 mins and it happens about once every 2 weeks that I will just barely get to work on time for this very reason.

Where I live we have signs that say "slower traffic keep right" and "the left lane is for passing" but I've never actually heard of anyone getting a ticket for it so I assume if it is a law its not enforced, though it might just be that most places here either have a high social trust where everyone does it anyways or if they dont they instead have traffic so dense you will never get near the speed limit anyways.

Last edited:
When I was younger I had a similar attitude, but I changed my tune as I got older. The idea is that it makes the roads overall more efficient thus benefitting society. I leave for work 2 hours before my shift starts and I usually get there 30 mins early, but I always leave 2 hours early anyways because it only takes 1 guy driving slow in the left lane to delay me and hundreds of other people 30 mins and it happens about once every 2 weeks that I will just barely get to work on time for this very reason.

Where I live we have signs that say "slower traffic keep right" and "the left lane is for passing" but I've never actually heard of anyone getting a ticket for it so I assume if it is a law its not enforced, though it might just be that most places here either have a high social trust where everyone does it anyways or if they dont they instead have traffic so dense you will never get near the speed limit anyways.
I get the idea, but if you have to break the law and go above the speed limit to pass then you shouldn't pass in the first place. Good Samaritans like me who drive the speed limit (not slower) on the left prevent speeding road ragers from endangering people's lives.

This is a service I am happy to provide for free.

We could use these here.

Sorry it's not freedom digits but our highways are typically 100kph, when someone's doing 80 in the fast/overtaking lane they need more than a ticket

I get the idea, but if you have to break the law and go above the speed limit to pass then you shouldn't pass in the first place. Good Samaritans like me who drive the speed limit (not slower) on the left prevent speeding road ragers from endangering people's lives.

Actually , you frustrate people behind you and force them to make high speed lane changes, which causes accidents.

So is the right lane for doing the speed limit, and the left lane for speeding? Im confused.

Old Florida residents are calling it a racist action! Lol

So is the right lane for doing the speed limit, and the left lane for speeding? Im confused.
this bothers me too.

it's not like you can go 10 miles over the limit in a neighborhood and then claim you were simply following the flow of traffic

but you can on a highway?

it's either the posted speed limit or its not.

I drive the speed limit but stay out of the left lane and yet people are constantly blowing by me.

lol…

None of this would ever happen

You’d get run off the road by an old lady in the South

this bothers me too.

it's not like you can go 10 miles over the limit in a neighborhood and then claim you were simply following the flow of traffic

but you can on a highway?

it's either the posted speed limit or its not.

I drive the speed limit but stay out of the left lane and yet people are constantly blowing by me.

BW8 is basically the autobahn in Houston

I got pulled over for driving too slow in the left lane once. I think cop thought I was a drunk driver trying to very carefully get home

I had my 3 day old son coming home from the hospital in the backseat, had a left turn coming up, and apparently was subconsciously driving 40 in the 55 where everyone goes 65-70.

Cop was like “oh shit sorry, hope I don’t wake him. Congratulations!”

BW8 is basically the autobahn in Houston
it's crazy how fast people drive on that considering the number of cars on it.

99 is no better, at least starting North from I10 towards the woodlands. 85/90 is the norm

That's the way to create a road rager. You also have no idea if someone is speeding to the hospital or to some emergency and you want to play traffic cop.

- The Bill would make it a traffic infraction if you drive on left lane unless you are passing
- Passed the Florida Senate 37 - 0 . Now goes to Govenor DeSantis to sign it into law.

--

TALLAHASSEE - A bill that seeks to prevent motorists from cruising in left lanes of highways is headed to Gov. Ron DeSantis.

The Senate on Thursday voted 37-0 to pass the bill (HB 317), which would apply to drivers on highways with at least two lanes in the same direction and speed limits of 65 mph or higher. The House voted 113-3 last week to pass the bill.

This has been a law in Oklahoma for 2 or 3 years now. Hasn't really helped get slow pokes out of the left lane from what I can see. I still come across many who act like they're in their own world and impede others.

Back