Movies For Those Who Still Like To Collect And Watch Physical Media

As far as movies are concerned I haven't bough a DVD in ages, but I've been buying vinyl records quite regularely and occasionally a CD as well.
I do want to get into vinyl sometime down the line.

4K preferred, Blu-ray if nothing else. Never DVD.

The entire point of physical movies to me is getting them in their absolute best quality and owning them. Streaming is better than DVD so I don’t understand the logic of collecting them outside of ownership.

I love me some 4k though and have a large collection. It’s the pinnacle of physical media. If physical has to die, I’m glad it ended with the disc being 1:1 if not better than what you get at the theater.

Physical copies of video games - especially the older stuff.

I've recently started collecting old video games and consoles - N64, NES, SNES, etc. Those things were really built to last and Nintendo will not make more of them. If I'm ever fortunate enough to start a family, I'd love for my kids to be able to grow up on NES/SNES/N64 like me, instead of being glued to their phones.

I still buy dvds for things I can’t find streaming. Usually older or more obscure stuff or movies we will definitely rewatch. Last purchase was season 2 of Miami Vice. We also live outside of the US so streaming options here are more limited

Do you have a preference on what you get movies or TV shows on like:
Blu-Ray
DVD
Or even
VHS tapes
Laserdisc

As for me though I think Blu-Ray has a better picture I don't mind getting DVDs.

I'm starting to get back into getting them again and I got my first Blu-Ray tonight of IMO one of the greatest films of all time The French Connection.

Also have Capt. America: The First Avenger and The Winter Soldier on DVD. The last one I want to get on Blu-Ray.

Had other ones but unfortunately got rid of them and I regret it.
well.... as far as resolution goes, .....DVD in USA/Canada (NTSC areas) has a defined resolution of 720 x 480 pixels (480 lines of horizontal resolution). p = progressive scan. Some video cameras shoot interlaced footage and that is processed differently from progressive scan images.
In PAL regions (like UK etc) a DVD plays video at 720 x 576 pixels.
Movies tend to be FILMED at 24p (24frames per second or actually 23.976fps).
Video cameras in USA often shoot 30p but can give you different frame rates like 24p, 30p, 60p, 120p, or even many different frame-rates. 60p and over is called "overcranking" and is typically used for smooth slow-motion stuff.

So.... DVD cannot play HiDef movies UNLESS it is formatted as a Data DVD and in that case in can hold video files of higher res, but most DVD players won't play it.

Blu-Ray can play movies in 720p and 1080p. AFAIK not higher res than that.
When BluRay was defined... at that time the top-spec was 1080p (1080p = 1080lines of horizontal resolution).

4K is generally 2160p which is 2160 horizontal lines of resolution. The "p" stands for progressive scan (not interlaced scan).
It's very high res and uses a fuckton of bandwidth and you need a very high bitrate (data rate per second) to encode/decode 4K without tons of visual artefacts. Video data rates are usually expressed in Mbps (Mega bits per second).

VHS tapes are quite archaic but they were about the ONLY method of renting or buying movies 20 or 30 years ago. No random-access with tape of course.

Basically video has multiple factors that makes it "look" how it does :
- spatial resolution (horizontal and vertical resolution)
- temporal resolution (frames per second)
- encoding bitrate
- the color depth like 4:2:2, or 4:2:0
- the different codecs used to encode the video (for eg. ProRes is very nice, others are AVCHD, and loads of others and high-end cameras like RED and Arri shoot their own uncompressed (or lightly compressed) codecs which require massive data storage and bandwidth)

OK I've probably bored y'all enough with this and wandered off-topic so....I'll stop.

I have a pretty dope vinyl record collection. My wife has thousands of CDs still.

I like collecting 4k Blu Rays that I like, of course. I have some of my favorite films on 4k blu ray, and buy some every-so-often. I really wish Killers of the Flower Moon would get a 4k release.

4k if available, blu ray when there is no 4k release. I did spend $100 on a Pin (1989) DVD a couple years ago when I was doing better financially and could lol. Should have kept it in shrink wrap.

I remember back in the day when they were first talking about DVD, I think they said you could put an entire season of some TV show on one disc. Maybe if it was super low standard def resolution.

Back