News Former GLORY Heavyweight Jhonata Diniz will make his UFC-debut against Austen Lane on April 27

Who wins?

• Total voters
People like to shit on Pereira's grappling but Dude has been able to neutralize and get up against actually good grapplers. Diniz looked awful off his back against Lane.

Fortunately for Diniz, Lane had less than a round's worth of cardio.
working with glover is probably the best choice he could've made. same as how gustafsson looked for a bit when he went to phil davis to fix parts of his game

Why was this a squash match? Kick boxing guy has 6 MMA fights
He's a heavy handed kickboxer in a talent-shallow division that they threw against a very slow opponent without much of a chin. How was this anything but a squash match?

He's a heavy handed kickboxer in a talent-shallow division that they threw against a very slow opponent without much of a chin. How was this anything but a squash match?

Austen Lane has no chin and no cardio.

He did not look good at all. This was supposed to be a layup for him but Lane was winning that before he got caught. He will go nowhere in the sport.

Get him on the Alex Pereira plan. Just match him up with guys who are not likely to grapple

He did not look good at all. This was supposed to be a layup for him but Lane was winning that before he got caught. He will go nowhere in the sport.
That's not really what happened though

He got taken down in round one, and couldn't get back up. But in round two he defended all the takedowns and knocked him out.

Lane however didn't look like he had the cardio to implement a grappling heavy attack for more than one round.

So overall, against Lane his TDD did look decent.. he just didn't show the ability to do anything once he was taken down.

To be fair Lane is a big ass guy though, and it isn't easy to get up with a guy that size on top of you. I think he clearly has things to work on but I am not completely writing him off. The division is horrible and I could see him winning some more fights for sure.

That's not really what happened though

He got taken down in round one, and couldn't get back up. But in round two he defended all the takedowns and knocked him out.

Lane however didn't look like he had the cardio to implement a grappling heavy attack for more than one round.

So overall, against Lane his TDD did look decent.. he just didn't show the ability to do anything once he was taken down.

To be fair Lane is a big ass guy though, and it isn't easy to get up with a guy that size on top of you. I think he clearly has things to work on but I am not completely writing him off. The division is horrible and I could see him winning some more fights for sure.
Lane's not even a good grappler. He will lose as soon as he faces someone decent.

Diniz did what he needed to do. Credit to him for staying alive on the mat and finding his opportunity later on to capitalize, but man there are some HWs who will be able to eat those shots and grapple for more than five minutes.

I was thinking about Diniz yesterday, actually. Glad to see he's got his debut lined up, think he destroys Lane to be honest. Lane's probably one of the weakest HWs on the roster really, not too many guys I'd favour him over.

Lane is big, very athletic, and moderately competent in every area, but he has a chin of glass. Not even normal glass, but that breakaway glass they use for movie stunts lol. He also apparently has very little cardio, at least when it comes to protracted grappling exchanges. This is not a winning recipe even with the atrocious state of UFC's current Heavyweight talent pool. I imagine they toss him another debutante and then cut him or offer him as a lay-up to someone like Valter Walker or maybe even Shamil.

The sad part is he looked great against Tafa early in their first fight. I know this is a lot of whatiffery, but I legitimately think Austen could have won that fight if he hadn't fouled Tafa. His distance management was excellent and his front kicks & straight shots couldn't miss. Tafa had no answers for him. Then in the second fight (in the smaller enclosure, IIRC) he was never able to get going before he got flattened. At this point I suspect he's damaged goods.

Wrong type of Brazilian. Why he not swole?

Great question. Decades ago, Iron Mike Tyson was going up against SuperSwole HW contender Bruce Seldon. The Baddest Man On the Planet said something along the lines of "Superman never won a boxing match" -knowing that his technique, fight IQ and heart would determine the winner of any unarmed battle, and that winner would be Mike.

Tyson IIRC savagely punished Seldon like he did to all challengers from every Pro Boxing Organization's HW division through the 1980's.

needs to improve his takedown defense but I like his KO power.

Lane's not even a good grappler. He will lose as soon as he faces someone decent.
He will if his skills stay where they are now, for sure lose to someone decent.

Problem is there aren't very many decent fighters in the UFC HW division.. at all. So I think he can for sure win some more fights fighting low level guys over the next few years.

Hopefully that rough first round is a learning experience. He has tremendous stopping power and if he can stay upright he is a real problem. But that's a big IF.

Its HW

Even top 10 fighters look like shit :eek:

Alex is still getting better, you can see his Kickboxing striking is being better adapted for MMA STILL

His kicks and being able to land that left is getting better

He will if his skills stay where they are now, for sure lose to someone decent.

Problem is there aren't very many decent fighters in the UFC HW division.. at all. So I think he can for sure win some more fights fighting low level guys over the next few years.
There's a lot of guys better than Austin Lane though. He was one of the worst fighters on the roster. Parker Porter could beat him right now. In fact they should make that fight next.

Back