Fountain pens

Doughbelly

action scientist αlpha-nerd
@Gold
Reaction score
Anyone use these things? Anyone learn how to use these things later in life and not as a part of their formal education (ie German gymnasium education or something similar)? How much practice did it take and did you find it worth the effort in improved penmanship?

Back in the 80s, when my dad got stationed to Germany, my parents promptly enrolled me in German school when we arrived in country. I had to beg to be put back into American school (I felt I'd just barely figured out English at that stage) but looking back one of the things I feel I missed out on by insisting that German school was not for me was learning how to write with a fountain pen, which is what all the German kids were doing at that age in school. Every German I know who learned to write with a fountain pen has impeccable handwriting and as I've taken to keeping a longhand journal, I find my handwriting isn't improving as quickly as I'd like and thought this might be an avenue for improvement.

I found an old thread I started (thread necro incoming) where someone mentioned improved longhand writing from fountain pens and thought it might be a worthwhile esoteric pursuit. Anyone find it actually so?

I really like the way the disposable fountain pens Pilot makes write. Im not sure you can buy them anymore but I have a box of them I bought awhile back. They are great for the house but you don't want to carry them or have them bouncing around in a car.

52005.jpeg

I'm not sure I've ever used a "nice" fountain pen.

I got one laying around. I mainly write letters to my grandpa with it. Gives them a nice personal touch I suppose.

I had to do that shit in primary school. Man, glad I don't have to anymore. Shit could get messy AF!

Is that the kind you have to dip into an ink bottle after every sentence?

Nah, they come with cartridges.

2177264_sostituzionecartuccia.jpg

Ha4c57972ca47470dad2755f08d7fde23b.jpg

I renember us using them in art and caligraphy classes. Dipping them in ink was a pain in the ass.

No, but as an artist I’ve always thought it would be cool to use one.. imma lefty tho so smudging the shit out of the ink while writing left to right would most likely drive me crazy.. but I know some ways around that

I had to do that shit in primary school. Man, glad I don't have to anymore. Shit could get messy AF!

Was/is it primary school for Dutch kids? I may be confused, but I thought fountain pens was during secondary school for German schools, or at least that's how I remember it.

Was/is it primary school for Dutch kids? I may be confused, but I thought fountain pens was during secondary school for German schools, or at least that's how I remember it.

Not sure if it's still is and not even sure if it was every school, but for me it sure was. Learned how to write using one.

I was thinking about getting a set with the refillable converter cartridges and inkpots for my twin nephews who recently started junior high as a nice fuck you to my estranged sister.

Back