Frank Shamrock (Maurice Smith's) Striking system and the best standup fundamentals trainings

TheMaster

Take The Road To Reality
@red
Reaction score
I find this to be one of the best overall intros to striking for freefighting that is out there.

He is basically giving the fundamentals of Maurice Smith's (one of the highest level strikers to ever compete in mma) striking system as taught to him, with some greater adaptations for MMA.

In action

Highlights are the clock theory ("12:00"), descriptions of handparrying and counters, and footwork/combinations.

What I like about this is it is a great base, deeper than a pure 'boxing' framework so applicable to mma/self defence, yet broad enough to be integrated with any particularly style (in my case it integrates great with emphasis on close range combat and minus the Thai leg kicks )

So what are the thoughts from the Sherdog experts on the Shamrock/Mo Smith striking fundamentals system and any alternatives for 'best overall striking for freefighting training instructional'?

Last edited:
Not bad, but there is no such thing as straight back, where I come from. Even moving straight forward is dangerous. He covers a lot of good points though.

Not bad, but there is no such thing as straight back, where I come from. Even moving straight forward is dangerous. He covers a lot of good points though.

He makes a point of saying never to step straight forward if you are square on ,but to hit straight while stepping out at 2 or 10 o' clock for example then follow-up at an angle.

Not watched it yet but shamrock was a terrible coach/team leader in TUF.

frank shamrock coached tuf?
It appears it was actually Ken Shamrock, Frank's older brother..

I didnt even know there were two shamrocks. I always heard Frank grew up in an orphanage.

It appears it was actually Ken Shamrock, Frank's older brother..

I didnt even know there were two shamrocks. I always heard Frank grew up in an orphanage.

wtf u must be new to mma

it confused me as a kid i knew of ken shamrock since 2001 when i was 10 then one day saw a dvd in a martial arts mag that say frank shamrock which confused me then did research

also they arnt blood related they both grew up in an orphanage the shamrock home for boys ken had good relationship with the owner and frank apparently had some resentment which started their feud frank was much better than ken tbh talent wise for sure after like a year and half training he beat bas rutten in pancrase and bas was like the baddest guy in the world at his weight if u could fight full on

Back