Friends now "offensive to a whole new generation" - Aniston

How I met your Mother 2005, all white and straight cast of friends:

R.c206777c04ff494bae6fe2754c72cd94

2023 Spinoff They Met their father with some Asian, Indian, Black and Latinas, and Lesbians:
Hilary-Duff-How-I-Met-Your-Father-cast.jpg

Martin was a group of all black friends and Martin himself did white face… and it was hilarious.

Wife and I loved that show. Remember Sha'na'na (or however it's spelled)? And Broman coming through the window for a sammich. Good times.

I always thought It's Always Sunny was a more modern Friends, why no uproar?

The show would never be made today. Even though friends was a real representation of life...A group of friends the same race and sexuality....but with interactions with all sorts of other people. Hollywoke just isn't interested in reality, if reality is white and straight.

Cast of the That 70s show:
14538942_f520.jpg

Now: Make one character gay, another Asian, another mixed race, another hispanic....Not organic, it's plug in check boxes, which is why it sucks.
that-90s-show-new-character-descriptions.jpg

Loved That 70s Show but I'll never watch this trash. The check box BS is so transparent. The show just looked like a bunch of modern liberal hipsters. These shows all fail because casting isn't about finding the best actors for the part.

You wind up with a bunch of unforgettable people who you have no interest in watching because the only thing that is "different" about them is their race. That's simply not interesting to anybody.

I never watched Friends. When it was on I was quite busy at the time, working most hours of the day.

One of these days I tell myself I'll have to bing watch the show. Out of offensive curiosity now i'll have to do that.

No it doesn't. This generation wants to censor anything comedy related that hurts their feelings. JUST like the Conservative religious nuts we all laughed at decades ago wanting to ban anything enjoyable. Music, films, video games etc

Are you serious?

Do you not remember the generation of idiots who wanted to stifle rock music because they thought it was the devils music? There are always idiots who are offended by shit and try to stifle behavior over it.

It's the same shit nothing particular to the new generation. Just old people bitching about young people like always.

It's such a stupid show, I can't believe people still like it. One of the worst use of a laugh track I can remember.
Too bad it was filmed in front of a live audience. Oh well. You're wrong on so many things. Add this one to the list.

How I met your Mother 2005, all white and straight cast of friends:

R.c206777c04ff494bae6fe2754c72cd94

2023 Spinoff They Met their father with some Asian, Indian, Black and Latinas, and Lesbians:
Hilary-Duff-How-I-Met-Your-Father-cast.jpg
No Native American and no Ginger, so not inclusive enough.

I'm literally in the middle of rewatching Friends now, and I've never understood the woke complaints. Even the "no black people" or "no people of color" thing is bullshit. Just because the tight circle of best friends were all white - which even today is pretty standard across the country, most people's inner circle lacks the type of silly diversity that today's sitcoms and commercials have decided to pretend is reality - that doesn't capture the fact that Central Perk is always full of people including Asian people and black people, that doesn't capture the fact that when the friends throw parties or go out there's always a diverse collection of people around. Not everybody's inner circle of lifelong best friends consists of a white nonbinary person, an Asian lesbian, and a black gay guy, and any morons who get their panties in a bunch over that...

DGy.gif
Speak for yourself, my friend group is fairly diverse. We're mostly 2nd generation immigrants with similar tastes and stuff like that but our parents come from all over the world. I also have a friend who lives in NYC and his friend group is even more diverse. If you grow up in a major metro area of the US I don't see how you wouldn't end up running into and befriending people who have roots from all over the world.

Are there any snowflakes whining about the severe lack of diversity in Family Matters?

5d07e30bdaa48253133bcd14reshape.jpg.optimal.jpg

I grew up watching this show and it never made me feel insecure about my skin color or any of that horseshit. It was just a good show about a normal American family going through the trials and tribulations of life. Great characters, great acting, great writing. At least, until it turned into Sci-Fi and was all about Carl, Eddie, and Steve traveling through time or some shit. Not surprised the actress who played the mother quit.

Speak for yourself, my friend group is fairly diverse. We're mostly 2nd generation immigrants with similar tastes and stuff like that but our parents come from all over the world. I also have a friend who lives in NYC and his friend group is even more diverse. If you grow up in a major metro area of the US I don't see how you wouldn't end up running into and befriending people who have roots from all over the world.
This.

Best friends growing up thru school:
-Dominican
-Half Black Half White Guy
-Half White Half Japanese
-Pakistani
-Italian-Irish
-Trinidadian-indian
-Hungarian-German who spoke German at home
-Couple of Jewish guys

1) That post of mine has received over 50 likes, which leads me to believe that I'm speaking for more than just myself. Perhaps that's worth considering for a moment rather than just dismissing me and telling me to "speak for myself," as if I'm over here spouting crazy vaccine conspiracies or ranting about how squeaky clean Trump is being railroaded :confused:

2) Given the "fairly" qualifier in your rebuttal, I gather that your friend group is not the picture of diversity that's being sold to us by obnoxious commercials and terrible contemporary network TV. Even so, note the part in my post where I said "most people's inner circle lacks the type of silly diversity that today's sitcoms and commercials have decided to pretend is reality." First, the word "most" is important there, as it allows room for people like you. If you're a white guy and your inner circle of best friends isn't made up of three or five other white guys, then I'd say you're still the minority, even more so if you grew up anywhere that wasn't the heart of New York City. But as major cities get less segregated (which I say as someone born and raised and currently living in the Chicago suburbs, perhaps the most segregated of the major cities) and suburbs become more diverse (which is still a work in progress in my neck of the woods), the frequency of more diverse friend groups obviously increases, to where best friend groups today are undoubtedly more diverse than they were 10 years ago, and you can continue to compound this the further back through history you go. (And I'm talking just race here, though you can pick whatever diversity metric you want and the same logic still applies.) When I was growing up, the biggest population in my neighborhood besides white people was Mexican people, and I had a ton of Mexican friends. But even then, my best friends were white kids. Extend the circle out from best friends to close friends - and from there to however far out beyond that you want to go, to acquaintances, teammates on sports teams who went to different schools, etc. - and I had Mexican friends, Korean friends, Indian friends, black friends...but they weren't in the inner circle, they weren't my best friends. That's important when considering Friends since a lot of times that's what's targeted by woke goofballs. And, having said all of that, historical context is also important, because people who go back to an old sitcom like Friends and expect a sitcom that started in 1994 and ended in 2004 to have been cast per the woke guidelines of 2020s TV are just ignorant.

3) To drive this point home one more time, there is a difference between shitting on Friends because it contradicts the idea that when living in "a major metro area of the US" you "end up running into and befriending people who have roots from all over the world" and shitting on Friends because the six best friends are white. In the first instance, what you're talking about, that plainly does happen in Friends. Monica's fellow chef when she is working at the restaurant in Season 1 (from which she'd eventually get fired) is a black woman, Ross dates a Chinese woman he met in grad school, Chandler has gay coworkers he's close with, there are people of many races who attend parties at Monica and Rachel's and/or Chandler and Joey's, etc. That's not an issue---or, at least, it shouldn't be an issue, because anyone who shits on Friends on this basis is plainly wrong. They don't know the show well enough to have an informed opinion and so their opinion should be rejected as PC nonsense. This is something different than shitting on Friends because the inner circle of best friends is six white best friends. If someone shits on Friends from this perspective, as if the series should've been cast in 1994 with an eye toward today's cringy standard of diverse casting, then, speaking for myself, that person is an idiot who thinks that they're being part of the solution when they're actually part of the problem.

And then you get people like that woman from Abbott Elementary taking shots at Friends on SNL for not having black people and it's just ignorance being compounded and a complete falsehood being reified as truth because it's politically correct. It's really quite sad. Friends deserves better, media from the past deserves better, and we should try to be better as media consumers.

Remember when no one gave a shit when you weren't offended because you weren't offended than that meant that nobody else was but they were?

What is too bad is the sophistication, perhaps that Ms. Aniston is alluding too, has gone from humor if you are to believe mass media and twitter space where a few go crazy and people take it as gospel.

1) That post of mine has received over 50 likes, which leads me to believe that I'm speaking for more than just myself. Perhaps that's worth considering for a moment rather than just dismissing me and telling me to "speak for myself," as if I'm over here spouting crazy vaccine conspiracies or ranting about how squeaky clean Trump is being railroaded :confused:

2) Given the "fairly" qualifier in your rebuttal, I gather that your friend group is not the picture of diversity that's being sold to us by obnoxious commercials and terrible contemporary network TV. Even so, note the part in my post where I said "most people's inner circle lacks the type of silly diversity that today's sitcoms and commercials have decided to pretend is reality." First, the word "most" is important there, as it allows room for people like you. If you're a white guy and your inner circle of best friends isn't made up of three or five other white guys, then I'd say you're still the minority, even more so if you grew up anywhere that wasn't the heart of New York City. But as major cities get less segregated (which I say as someone born and raised and currently living in the Chicago suburbs, perhaps the most segregated of the major cities) and suburbs become more diverse (which is still a work in progress in my neck of the woods), the frequency of more diverse friend groups obviously increases, to where best friend groups today are undoubtedly more diverse than they were 10 years ago, and you can continue to compound this the further back through history you go. (And I'm talking just race here, though you can pick whatever diversity metric you want and the same logic still applies.) When I was growing up, the biggest population in my neighborhood besides white people was Mexican people, and I had a ton of Mexican friends. But even then, my best friends were white kids. Extend the circle out from best friends to close friends - and from there to however far out beyond that you want to go, to acquaintances, teammates on sports teams who went to different schools, etc. - and I had Mexican friends, Korean friends, Indian friends, black friends...but they weren't in the inner circle, they weren't my best friends. That's important when considering Friends since a lot of times that's what's targeted by woke goofballs. And, having said all of that, historical context is also important, because people who go back to an old sitcom like Friends and expect a sitcom that started in 1994 and ended in 2004 to have been cast per the woke guidelines of 2020s TV are just ignorant.

3) To drive this point home one more time, there is a difference between shitting on Friends because it contradicts the idea that when living in "a major metro area of the US" you "end up running into and befriending people who have roots from all over the world" and shitting on Friends because the six best friends are white. In the first instance, what you're talking about, that plainly does happen in Friends. Monica's fellow chef when she is working at the restaurant in Season 1 (from which she'd eventually get fired) is a black woman, Ross dates a Chinese woman he met in grad school, Chandler has gay coworkers he's close with, there are people of many races who attend parties at Monica and Rachel's and/or Chandler and Joey's, etc. That's not an issue---or, at least, it shouldn't be an issue, because anyone who shits on Friends on this basis is plainly wrong. They don't know the show well enough to have an informed opinion and so their opinion should be rejected as PC nonsense. This is something different than shitting on Friends because the inner circle of best friends is six white best friends. If someone shits on Friends from this perspective, as if the series should've been cast in 1994 with an eye toward today's cringy standard of diverse casting, then, speaking for myself, that person is an idiot who thinks that they're being part of the solution when they're actually part of the problem.

And then you get people like that woman from Abbott Elementary taking shots at Friends on SNL for not having black people and it's just ignorance being compounded and a complete falsehood being reified as truth because it's politically correct. It's really quite sad. Friends deserves better, media from the past deserves better, and we should try to be better as media consumers.
I think its fair to wonder why a group of friends in perhaps the most diverse city in the country are all white. I don't what other people's experiences are like but growing up in the Miami metro area it felt like everyone's friend group was kinda diverse. Even the group of the whitest white girls were friends with an African guy and a Hispanic girl.

I think its fair to wonder why a group of friends in perhaps the most diverse city in the country are all white. I don't what other people's experiences are like but growing up in the Miami metro area it felt like everyone's friend group was kinda diverse. Even the group of the whitest white girls were friends with an African guy and a Hispanic girl.

Ironically, I should be the one saying "speak for yourself" to you. But our respective histories are ancillary to the discussion of Friends. To your point, it's not fair to wonder that. Ross, Rachel, and Monica grew up on Long Island in the 1970s and 1980s, a city in which, according to a Newsday article, segregation "has been embedded ... as firmly as the Meadowbrook Parkway." Besides which, the "degrees of separation" are very small: Rachel and Monica were best friends and Ross is Monica's older brother. Chandler grew up close to those three (because in one episode he claims to have heard a rumor about Rachel in high school), but his parents were super rich, so the only non-whites he likely came into contact with were his parents' hired help. And then he met Ross when they became college roommates, met Monica and Rachel shortly thereafter, and now we've got four of the six best friends locked in when they're 16-18 years old. Phoebe grew up in the like 90% white Upstate New York area, though once she left home after her dad ran off and her mom killed herself, she met the craziest characters on the streets. And Joey grew up in Queens, likely surrounded by other Italian-American families as his family is huge and super ethnic. But the degrees of separation are still very small: Phoebe moves in with Monica once they're adults and then Joey is the last to enter the group after he moves in with Chandler as adults. That's a very tight group. Do you really think that it's fair to wonder why a black gay guy or an Asian lesbian never managed to slip in there? Even the bitter white girl from Monica and Rachel's class who shows up to take away Ross' monkey in an early episode talks shit about how tight Monica and Rachel were and how she wanted to be their friend. Even another white person failed to penetrate that inner circle!

I'm a second generation immigrant

Fist-pump.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back