Game Services & Game Sales thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, Game Pass just loaded up a bunch of quality games.

Hollow Knight
Guacamelee 2
Batman Arkham Knight
Metro Exodus
Shenmue 1&2
Borderlands HJC

And a bunch more. I'm personally more interested in all the awesome indie games(especially Guac 2), but quite the drop nonetheless if you're a subscriber.

I just tried to buy it and it says its 1 dollar for the first month and 15 bucks a month after that
No thank you

Should have read through the Reddit link I posted. I now have Game Pass until next year May and all I paid was a buck.

Damn, Game Pass just loaded up a bunch of quality games.

Hollow Knight
Guacamelee 2
Batman Arkham Knight
Metro Exodus
Shenmue 1&2
Borderlands HJC

And a bunch more. I'm personally more interested in all the awesome indie games(especially Guac 2), but quite the drop nonetheless if you're a subscriber.

Do you play anything online?

Here's how to get Xbox Game Pass for up to 36 months for free
CNET said:
This deal seems too good to be true. But it isn't.

During E3 this week, Microsoft is running a discount -- $1 instead of $14.99 -- on one month of its new Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription service, which rolls Xbox Live Gold (which enables online gameplay and throws in a few free titles per month) and its Game Pass service (akin to a Netflix for games) into one subscription. But there's a way to make it a lot better deal -- and it doesn't appear to be a glitch. You can basically get Xbox Game Pass for up to 36 months for free.

$

Your account could end up looking similar to this after adding months to your Xbox Live Gold subscription.
xbox-ultimate-account.png

David Carnoy/CNET

According to Microsoft's FAQ, "As an Insider benefit, when you join Xbox Game Pass Ultimate to give feedback, we will apply any prepaid time you have on Xbox Live Gold, Xbox Game Pass or both toward Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, up to a maximum of 36-months."

That's the key thing to understand: If you have an existing Xbox Live Gold subscription, whatever remaining time you have left on your Gold subscription automatically gets converted into Game Pass Ultimate when you apply the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate 1-month-for-$1 deal to your Microsoft account.

Here's what you get with Ultimate:

• Over 100 games to play on Xbox One, with new ones added frequently (see full list of Xbox Game Pass titles here)
  • The new PC version of Game Pass, which is currently in beta. (You simply download the Xbox Game Pass for PC (beta) for Windows 10 app on your PC.)
  • Any titles from Xbox Game Studios are available at no extra charge on their day of release
  • That includes Gears 5: Ultimate Edition, which will release to Ultimate members 4 days early when it hits in November.
  • "Games with Gold" titles on Xbox (yet more free games, added periodically).
  • Online multiplayer support.

You can basically get Xbox Game Pass for up to 36 months for free.

How to get the deal
The bulk of this info comes from this Slickdeals thread, but we've spent the past few hours trying it out on two different accounts, and it works. But there seem to be so many people taking advantage of the deal that Microsoft's servers are having a hard time keeping up: We've seen some 404 pages, and we had trouble completing the second transaction.

Note that CNET may get a share of revenue from the sale of the services featured on this page, and that your mileage may vary. This deal is supposed to be available through E3 (which runs through Thursday), but Microsoft could cut off or alter the deal at any time.

With those caveats in place, follow these steps to maximize the deal.

• Start at your main Microsoft account page.
  • Go to the "services and subscriptions" tab at the top of the page -- this will show what your currently subscribed to (or not).
  • Before applying the 1-month-for-$1 deal to your account, extend your Xbox Live Gold subscription by buying additional months.
  • You can get 12 months of Live Gold for $60, although there are a few Live Gold deals out there that can bring the cost down to less than $50 for 12 months (CD Keys, Rakuten and Costco). Some people also have Microsoft Rewards they can convert into months of Live Gold. (Get separate 6- or 12-month codes, but opt for the latter where possible.)
SEE XBOX LIVE GOLD AT AMAZON
  • You'll want to get to as close to June 10, 2022 as your Xbox Live Gold expiration date to maximize the deal.
  • So, yes: You've now spent as much as $180 for 3 years of Xbox Live Gold ($60 x 3). But, you would've presumably spent that anyway.
  • You can get an extra month of Xbox Live Gold when you turn on auto renew (recurring billing) when adding months to your account. You should be given the option after inputting a purchased digital code for 12 months of Gold, for example.
  • In your account settings, check when your Xbox Live Gold subscription is due to expire. Again, that's under the "Services and Subscriptions" tab.
  • Once you've confirmed you've extended your Xbox Live Gold subscription to the desired amount, click on the link for the 1-month-for-$1 for Game Pass Ultimate deal.
GET XBOX GAME PASS ULTIMATE FOR $1/MONTH
  • Once that deal is applied to your account, your Xbox Live Gold subscription will be converted to Game Pass Ultimate -- and Game Pass Ultimate should be available for the length of your Live Gold subscription. You won't have to pay anything for up to 36 months.
  • After whatever date your Game Pass Ultimate is listed to expire, you'll have to pay $14.99 a month to continue it.
  • You can opt not to auto renew your Game Pass Ultimate subscription.
  • If you opt not to continue Game Pass Ultimate, you could go back to subscribing to only Xbox Live Gold.
So, again: You may have spent upward of $180, plus an extra buck. But: Based on Xbox Live Gold costing $5 a month to use versus the undiscounted Game Pass Ultimate costing $15, your savings could potentially be as much as $360 ($10 x 36 months).

Xbox servers seem to be straining under the volume
Again, this worked for us, but we had problems with the second sign-up on Monday afternoon because of heavy volume on Microsoft's servers. (After adding the Xbox Live Gold codes in a web browser, we had to buy the $1 Game Pass Ultimate add-on on the Xbox itself, because the browser wouldn't send us a confirmation code ("There's a temporary problem with the service.").

So yes, this is a little bit of a complicated deal, but if you're an Xbox owner and already subscribe to Xbox Live Gold and plan to continue with it, it's an easy way to get Game Pass for free for a while. Of course, you have to be willing pay out now to extend your Xbox Live Gold service to take advantage of it.

Last edited:
I just tried to buy it and it says its 1 dollar for the first month and 15 bucks a month after that
No thank you
You should still be able to get in on this. You just have to load up your Xbox Live Gold subscription to the max amount (which appears to be 3 years = 36 months). So that's $1 for the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. This is a $15/mo value, correct. Thus, for $1, you are procuring $15 x 36 = $540 value of Game Pass service*.
*Edit: Sort of. Keep in mind a substantial part of the value of the "Ultimate" suite is that it includes Xbox Live Gold membership, but to take advantage of this apparent loophole, you are purchasing the Xbox Live Gold Membership.
xbox-game-pass-for-pc-price.jpg

Notice that the $15/mo service normally wouldn't be the option you would want, @Pliny Pete, because you aren't a PC gamer, unless you were using it to score the Console Game Pass service + your Xbox Live Gold membership at the same lowest sum if you purchased them separately (12-months of Xbox Live Gold --> $60 --> $5/mo + $10/mo Console Game Pass = $15/mo total).

The difference here is the Game Pass Ultimate bundles the Xbox Live Gold membership on a piecemeal monthly basis unlike the above strategy where you have to buy 12-months of Xbox Live Gold in bulk to realize the same combined price.
With the NHL19 being a free download for gold members does this mean only for a limited time or we can keep the game?

Im not seeing anything but "Free download" for gold members.
I haven't confirmed, but I would expect it to work like all the services work now with the "free" games given out on the Playstation Network or Xbox Live Gold; you can only access the games so long as your subscription is active. Otherwise, they will sit dormant and locked on your console with all of your saved data and everything waiting until you re-activate your membership.

Last edited:
You should still be able to get in on this. You just have to load up your Xbox Live Gold subscription to the max amount (which appears to be 3 years = 36 months). So that's $1 for the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. This is a $15/mo value, correct. Thus, for $1, you are procuring $15 x 36 = $540 value of Game Pass service.
xbox-game-pass-for-pc-price.jpg

Notice that the $15/mo service normally wouldn't be the option you would want, @Pliny Pete, because you aren't a PC gamer, unless you were using it to score the Console Game Pass service + your Xbox Live Gold membership at the same lowest sum if you purchased them separately (12-months of Xbox Live Gold --> $60 --> $5/mo + $10/mo Console Game Pass = $15/mo total).

The difference here is the Game Pass Ultimate bundles the Xbox Live Gold membership on a piecemeal monthly basis unlike the above strategy where you have to buy 12-months of Xbox Live Gold in bulk to realize the same combined price.

I haven't confirmed, but I would expect it to work like all the services work now with the "free" games given out on the Playstation Network or Xbox Live Gold; you can only access the games so long as your subscription is active. Otherwise, they will sit dormant and locked on your console with all of your saved data and everything waiting until you re-activate your membership.

Xbox Live lets you keep the game even if you go back to a free account.

How long before this gets patched? I mean they probably planned this launch thouroughly, so how did they think this was a good idea? This is going to be grossly exploited.
I don't think it is a mistake.

I think they want to lock as many Xbox gamers into 1-3 years of Xbox Live Gold membership as possible; securing those gamers by maximizing their incentive to buy the Scarlett next year over the PS5, Switch, Stadia, or other competitors at launch.

It isn't just about retention, either. How many PC gamers do you think are considering buying an Xbox Live Gold membership right now because the Game Pass Ultimate comes out to the same cost ($5/mo) as the beta PC-only version of the service? That gives any who do a powerful incentive to buy a Scarlett next year if they are secondary console gamers.

Last edited:
Xbox Live lets you keep the game even if you go back to a free account.
I forgot they changed that in 2015 after Sony wiped the floor with them. Definitely another wonderful perk of Xbox Live Gold.

if they'll still be accessible on pc when the subscription lapses, i might have to get on board.

if they'll still be accessible on pc when the subscription lapses, i might have to get on board.
There's absolutely no way that works with this online subscription depots.

Think about it. Even outside this insane kickstart to the service targeting savvy internet-goers who learn the backdoor, if they did this, then all a consumer would have to do as long as the service exists would be to subscribe for a single month, download every game he wanted, and then own the game. Ergo, for $5, one could own all 100 titles listed in Post #3 on PC.

There's great deals on playstation store right now.
7 to the 17th spiderman, god of war, horizon zero dawn, and tons more.

There's absolutely no way that works with this online subscription depots.

Think about it. Even outside this insane kickstart to the service targeting savvy internet-goers who learn the backdoor, if they did this, then all a consumer would have to do as long as the service exists would be to subscribe for a single month, download every game he wanted, and then own the game. Ergo, for $5, one could own all 100 titles listed in Post #3 on PC.

...yeah. exactly. otherwise, i wouldn't care. i don't plan on giving ms $ every month.

...yeah. exactly. otherwise, i wouldn't care. i don't plan on giving ms $ every month.
Bud, you're not fooling anyone.

This is why I tease you. Slow down and think.

The insane exploit aside(if it is an exploit), this is games as a service done right, even at $16.99 a month. MS is really bringing the heat as they gear up for next gen, and are swiftly making up for their mistakes this gen.

Bud, you're not fooling anyone.

This is why I tease you. Slow down and think.

???

you "tease" because i talk shit on blizzard. as for fooling, i have no clue what you're insinuating. same with your stadia nonsense. i CLEARLY stated "if." and i have no idea IF they're intending to do that or not, because it's almost a lose-lose situation with how they marketed it. either it works that way and people could rip and run, or it works differently to their gwg and risks disappointing anyone who expected to be able to keep the games. as with gwg.

The best free PC games
Fresh and substantial article from PC Gamer. Not a sale or a service, technically, but I thought it fit better here than the PC build thread, or anywhere else, and I didn't figure it significant enough to warrant its own thread.

On the same topic here is the tag from the Build thread, but the last time it was updated would have been between the summers of 2017-2018:
Emulation Software

This isn't necessarily restricted to gaming-class hardware, or even PC's, but a thread that any will find interesting:
Internet Archive Brings 1000's of Free Arcade, DOS, & PC Games to Your Browser

Perhaps more stable emulation than universal HTML5 javascript run through browsers is to use actual emulation software. Below is the Emulation Wiki homepage. You can click on any console, and find the recommended emulation software for Windows or Linux.
EMUGEN

Alternatively, for Windows users specifically, this is a frequently updated Reddit post that gives a survey of the different consoles and their finest emulators on a Windows PC (last updated Mar-2019):
emulatorguide: PC Master Race

Below is the master subreddit for all things emulation. You can learn the finer points of emulation, here. For example, you can reference this for discussion of accessories where you will learn that you can purchase the original controllers for the respective consoles, brand new at stores like Amazon, designed specifically for PC emulation, and for very little money. To offer an example, the last time I checked, it was $12 for a Nintendo pad with a USB-input at the end of its cord via Amazon.
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/

STEAM
Most Popular Free Games

• Dota 2
  • Warframe
  • Smite
  • Path of Exile
  • Team Fortress 2
  • War Thunder
  • Paladins
  • Planetside 2
  • Guild Wars 2
  • Warface
  • Neverwinter
  • Fallout Shelter
  • EVE Online
  • Unturned
  • Atlas Reactor
  • Star Conflict
  • Lord of the Rings Online
  • Star Trek Online
  • DC Universe Online
  • Clicker Heroes
  • Tribes: Ascend
  • Hawken
  • Mechwarrior Online
  • Alien Swarm
  • Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop
  • Last Man Standing
  • Heroes & Generals
  • Fishing the Planet
  • World of Tanks Blitz
  • World of Warships
  • World of Warplanes
  • Rift
  • TERA
  • Wildstar
  • Marvel Heroes 2016
  • Super Crate Box
  • Robocraft
  • Orcs Must Die! Unchained
  • Dirty Bomb
  • Blacklight: Retribution
  • Shadowverse
  • Everquest
  • ArcheAge
  • Crossout
  • Skyforge

OFF-STEAM
Most Popular Free Games

• League of Legends
  • Fortnite
  • CrossFire
  • Minecraft
  • Hearthstone
  • Heroes of the Storm
  • World of Tanks
  • World of Warplanes
  • Roblox
  • Killer Instinct
  • Pokemon MMO
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic
  • Magic: The Gathering
  • Dungeons and Dragons Online
  • Paragon
  • Black Desert Online
  • Treasure Adventure Game
  • Second Life

Last edited:
I do not subscribe to anything and never did (PC player here)

My taste in gaming become more refined the older I get so very limited choice lately.

Final Fantasy 14 is not free. Except for the trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back