Game Services thread, v2: Ubisoft headline portends a darker gaming future

Sorry to derail, but with Stadia and Nvidia Stream can I use the games bought on steam? I got a little confused how licensing works with each service
Asking about gaming services in this thread is not a derail.

With Stadia? No. Ownership of Stadia games is exclusive to the Stadia platform (like owning a game on the Xbox doesn't transfer to Playstation).

With GeForce Now? Yes, but it depends on the game. GeForce Now streams select games from Steam, Epic, Uplay, EA Origin, and even a few other stores sparingly. It just added support for the GoG with Cyberpunk 2077. It depends on the game whether or not it is supported, and just because a game is supported from one store doesn't mean it is supported on all stores where it sells (ex. you can stream Amnesia: The Dark Descent if you own it on Steam, but not if you own it on Epic).

Destiny 2 was the PS+ free game of the month about two years ago. I downloaded it but only played like the first hour or so. If they subsequently made the game f2p and then not, would that have affected my ability to play through the campaign? I’m not interested in paying for any of the expansions, but wouldn’t mind playing through the base game’s campaigns even just once.
Before they started removing content in the middle of 2020, yes.

When Sony gave out Destiny 2 they gave you everything up to and including the latest expansion. Even after the next DLC was released, you could still play the single player campaign up to that point, and all of the raids included with it. It's just that, similar to WoW, nobody really wastes their time on those raids anymore unless they're achievement hunting, or have some other reason to specifically desire gear that drops in those dungeons. That's because all of the best gear is exclusive to the latest DLC. So nobody is really playing that content anymore unless they are leveling a new character of a different class. You're cut off from everyone else in what is a socially centered game: whether you play with other people against the computer (PvE), or against other people (PvP). But as far as individual play, the campaign storyline that didn't require parties of people to complete, sure, you could do everything that had been released to that point.

Until the middle of 2020 when they started eliminating old raids, old planets, old campaign quests, etc.
https://www.pcgamer.com/can-removing-half-of-destiny-2-really-be-good-for-the-game

Before they started removing content in the middle of 2020, yes.

When Sony gave out Destiny 2 they gave you everything up to and including the latest expansion. Even after the next DLC was released, you could still play the single player campaign up to that point, and all of the raids included with it. It's just that, similar to WoW, nobody really wastes their time on those raids anymore unless they're achievement hunting, or have some other reason to specifically desire gear that drops in those dungeons. That's because all of the best gear is exclusive to the latest DLC. So nobody is really playing that content anymore unless they are leveling a new character of a different class. You're cut off from everyone else in what is a socially centered game: whether you play with other people against the computer (PvE), or against other people (PvP). But as far as individual play, the campaign storyline that didn't require parties of people to complete, sure, you could do everything that had been released to that point.

Until the middle of 2020 when they started eliminating old raids, old planets, old campaign quests, etc.
https://www.pcgamer.com/can-removing-half-of-destiny-2-really-be-good-for-the-game

Huh... weird. Well maybe I’ll just delete it and not look back. Destiny was the first game I bought for PS4 when I got it in summer 2015. I played a lot of it for about 3 or 4 months, but eventually burned out on it really badly after the release of the Taken King expansion. Like burned out to the point that I had no interest in playing any further expansions or the sequel except for when it was free. In fact, it put me off the looter shooter sub genre completely, such that I had no interest in the Division series, Warframe or Anthem either.

Huh... weird. Well maybe I’ll just delete it and not look back. Destiny was the first game I bought for PS4 when I got it in summer 2015. I played a lot of it for about 3 or 4 months, but eventually burned out on it really badly after the release of the Taken King expansion. Like burned out to the point that I had no interest in playing any further expansions or the sequel except for when it was free. In fact, it put me off the looter shooter sub genre completely, such that I had no interest in the Division series, Warframe or Anthem either.
Not even Borderlands?

Not even Borderlands?

I have the first two in my voluminous backlog, haven’t played them yet. Still potentially open to them due to them not being “mmo” unless that’s not actually the case. If they are MMO-looter shooters then

<DisgustingHHH>

I have the first two in my voluminous backlog, haven’t played them yet. Still potentially open to them due to them not being “mmo” unless that’s not actually the case. If they are MMO-looter shooters then

<DisgustingHHH>
I've never played any MP on Borderlands. I'm not even sure that meaningfully exists with the first one. I thought they'd leaned into that later.

Borderlands 2 is worth playing for Dameon Clarke's vocal performance as Handsome Jack alone. Fucking hysterical.

<DisgustingHHH>

borderlands 1 and 2 are pretty damn great (and in ying/yang ways... bl1 had way better itemization/dlc imo, bl2 had a way better campaign and was more polished/less variety in items [but 3/4 of the dlc was shit] )

and both had good couch co-op.

the pre-sequel was basically shit.

borderlands 1 and 2 are pretty damn great (and in ying/yang ways... bl1 had way better itemization/dlc imo, bl2 had a way better campaign and was more polished/less variety in items [but 3/4 of the dlc was shit] )

and both had good couch co-op.

the pre-sequel was basically shit.
Nah, the first DLC and 3rd were great.....Captain Scarlett's and Tiny Tina's.....Hammerlock and Torgue's were meh imo. The headhunter packs were good as well.

Rumor should be taken with a grain of salt because it comes from an Xbox fan blog, but there had previously been rumblings about this.
Top 10 Biggest Rumors About Xbox
  1. Inxile Entertainment is currently working on a Steampunk AAA RPG. The game supposedly has the second highest budget for an Xbox game in development aside from Halo (Bethesda/Zenimax not included).
  2. Obsidian is developing 6 projects including three AAA RPGs. Having grown quite quickly and depending on how lightly in development is being used this may be true.
  3. Xbox has secured publishing rights for a big unannounced AAA surprise that will launch in 2021.
  4. Xcloud will be joining several new markets next year including iOS and Samsung TVs.
  5. Several additional titles are launching exclusively to the Xbox ecosystem next year with Forza Horizon 5, Starfield and Wolfenstein 3.
  6. UPlay is going to be coming to Xbox Gamepass subscription just like EA Play did for holiday 2021.
  7. Xbox will be dropping Xbox Live Gold or rolling it into the Gamepass service. Free 2 play games will not require any subscription.
  8. All (non-MMO) Bethesda/Zenimax titles will be exclusives starting in 2021.
  9. Xbox is swinging big again and will be acquiring Sega in 2021.
  10. Xbox has already acquired two additional studios aside from Bethesda/Zenimax with one being large and the other being small.
This was posted 5 days ago.

#4 isn't a rumor. Microsoft confirmed Project xCloud is coming to iOS in Spring 2021 in the official blog post earlier this month.
#7 is also a major rumor since it would mean all Xbox gamers get 2 free games a month without a subscription to any service.
#9 is a fairy tale.

The rest are all quite credible, though pure rumor, but if UPlay+ comes to Game Pass that would be simply enormous for the service.
49765580512_6e78998e93_o.jpg

Ubisoft Uplay+
[PC] [Android] [FireTV]
  • $15 ---- monthly ($14.99/mo)
    • Available to Android users, but requires a subscription to Google Stadia. Also available to Amazon Fire device owners via the Amazon Luna service.
    • Uplay+ service grants you access to all the games in the UPlay+ library which you can stream from the cloud or download/install so long as you are subscribed
    • This service is an extension of Uplay which tracks and saves all your progress and achievements in the cloud for games bought from the Ubisoft Store (701 total PC products including 393 base games + 172 DLC purchases available)
    • 20% off purchases on the Ubisoft store
    • Subscribers may have additional benefits such as being invited into closed betas for some of Ubisoft's upcoming games
    • UPlay+ library currently has 128 titles

Last edited:
I'm hoping there is some legs on the tweet from Spencer that they're wanting to expand Game Pass with a family plan.

My kids have inherited my Xbox's as I've upgraded. I bought the OG XBO, then picked up a Slim a few years later. I play on my PS4 a majority of the time and my kids like to play together on XB's. My son plays on my account and my daughter can share on the other XB. I have a XSX coming in a week, so I'll have 3 XB's in the house and it would be nice to all play online together and have access to the GP library.

Definitely a first world problem, but I can still hope.

I'm hoping there is some legs on the tweet from Spencer that they're wanting to expand Game Pass with a family plan.

My kids have inherited my Xbox's as I've upgraded. I bought the OG XBO, then picked up a Slim a few years later. I play on my PS4 a majority of the time and my kids like to play together on XB's. My son plays on my account and my daughter can share on the other XB. I have a XSX coming in a week, so I'll have 3 XB's in the house and it would be nice to all play online together and have access to the GP library.

Definitely a first world problem, but I can still hope.

Yea I wouldn't mind it for me and my nephew and my cousin. We all have PC and I just have to pay a bit more for both of them to get on the plan with me that would be cool.

Yea I wouldn't mind it for me and my nephew and my cousin. We all have PC and I just have to pay a bit more for both of them to get on the plan with me that would be cool.
I do wish the Game Pass/MS store apps were more clear about which games are play anywhere as in you can DL games that you bought for the Xbox to your PC if they're on PC.

I do wish the Game Pass/MS store apps were more clear about which games are play anywhere as in you can DL games that you bought for the Xbox to your PC if they're on PC.
It would be nice, but without it, you could can bookmark the references I provide in my OP. Everything is linked in it. Keep in mind the Play Anywhere program perks only apply if you bought the game at the Microsoft/Xbox stores (i.e. not Steam, Epic, Wal-Mart, Gamestop, etc).

Here is the Play Anywhere list:
https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/xbox-play-anywhere?cat=all

Here is the spreadsheet from my OP with all Play Anywhere titles currently available on Game Pass . The total number of Play Anywhere games stands at 72 (of 239 total PC titles on Game Pass, currently):

It won't be long before I can eliminate that one due to redundancy. Below is the God spreadsheet for Game Pass. He's in the process of building Play Anywhere status into the sheet. This is hands down the single most useful resource to Game Pass subscribers, IMO:
u/ABattleVet's Game Pass Spreadsheet (Cold Link)

Last edited:
It would be nice, but without it, you could can bookmark the references I provide in my OP. Everything is linked in it. Keep in mind the Play Anywhere program perks only apply if you bought the game at the Microsoft/Xbox stores (i.e. not Steam, Epic, Wal-Mart, Gamestop, etc).

Here is the Play Anywhere list:
https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/xbox-play-anywhere?cat=all

Here is the spreadsheet from my OP with all Play Anywhere titles currently available on Game Pass (via True Achievements):

It won't be long before I can eliminate that one due to redundancy. Below is the God spreadsheet for Game Pass. He's in the process of building Play Anywhere status into the sheet. This is hands down the single most useful resource to Game Pass subscribers, IMO:
u/ABattleVet's Game Pass Spreadsheet (Cold Link)

Thanks

Where's my free month of PC GamePass for that EA Play scam? That was the only selling point for PC players to upgrade to Ultimate and they just cancelled it on release day.

How are gamers constantly outraged about the dumbest shit but I'm the only one bothered by this?!

Where's my free month of PC GamePass for that EA Play scam? That was the only selling point for PC players to upgrade to Ultimate and they just cancelled it on release day.

How are gamers constantly outraged about the dumbest shit but I'm the only one bothered by this?!
Did you try calling and negotiating for this? I'm willing to bet you could get it walked down to $10/mo until EA Play is added.

Wait does EA play only come with Gamepass ultimate? I thought for console players they needed gamepass ultimate and for PC you only needed xbox game pass?

Here it seems to indicate PC players only need gamepass:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/09/get-ea-play-with-xbox-game-pass-at-no-additional-cost/
This means Ultimate members can enjoy EA Play on Xbox One, Xbox Series X and S, and Windows 10 PCs, and Xbox Game Pass for PC members get EA Play on Windows 10.

Wait does EA play only come with Gamepass ultimate? I thought for console players they needed gamepass ultimate and for PC you only needed xbox game pass?

Here it seems to indicate PC players only need gamepass:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/09/get-ea-play-with-xbox-game-pass-at-no-additional-cost/
This means Ultimate members can enjoy EA Play on Xbox One, Xbox Series X and S, and Windows 10 PCs, and Xbox Game Pass for PC members get EA Play on Windows 10.

Does PC have "Xbox Live Gold". The only reason it's called "Ultimate" on consoles is because it includes "Xbox Live Gold" with the package. If it doesn't exist on PC, that would be the reason it's just called "Game Pass".

That said, I'd imagine you still get all the games with the basic "Game Pass" on consoles, but you would just have online restrictions for the games if you didn't have XBLG as well.

Does PC have "Xbox Live Gold". The only reason it's called "Ultimate" on consoles is because it includes "Xbox Live Gold" with the package. If it doesn't exist on PC, that would be the reason it's just called "Game Pass".

That said, I'd imagine you still get all the games with the basic "Game Pass" on consoles, but you would just have online restrictions for the games if you didn't have XBLG as well.

Oh ok that makes sense. Yea PC doesn't have Xbox Live Gold.

The OP has been updated for all services, guys. This is the state of Game Pass.

49764722753_d9247b2652_o.jpg

Microsoft Game Pass
[XSX/XSS] [Xbox One] [PC] [Android] [iOS-- Spring 2021]
  • $10 ---- monthly, Game Pass PC ($9.99/mo)
  • $10 ---- monthly, Game Pass Xbox ($9.99/mo)
  • $15 ---- monthly, Game Pass Ultimate, Xbox & PC* ($14.99/mo)
    *currently the Ultimate plan is available for a special $1/mo for the first month; even existing Xbox Live Gold members can still buy 3-months for $1
    • Has a companion app on mobile (iOS / Android)
    • The Ultimate tier of this service includes the Microsoft Xbox Live Gold service above, and its perks (i.e. online access, free Games with Gold giveaway games, etc)
    • Every Microsoft-published game is a Day 1 release on this service
    • 100% of titles on the service are downloadable, so there are not resolution or lag issues with streaming; on the flipside, you can't choose to stream, so some criticize potential storage concerns due to large game sizes
    • Xbox Cloud Game Saves means that if you sign into any Xbox console on your Xbox Account, you can pick up playing where you left off (Game Pass titles included)
    • 20% off Game Pass titles on Microsoft/Xbox stores if one wishes to buy them permanently (90+ days after release-- 10% off until then), and this includes the complete editions will all DLC even if that version of the game isn't the one appearing on the service; 10% off DLC, add-ons and related microtransaction content
    • Xbox Game Pass Quests is a program that allows you to earn reward points you can spend in the Microsoft/Xbox stores by completing in-game tasks on the service, and you can even redeem these to pay for Game Pass itself. This is part of the larger Microsoft Rewards program. In total, it's possible to earn over 13K rewards points per month without spending any money. With monthly special bonuses like double mobile search points or the Gamescore challenge this shoots up to 23K+ total possible points. Reward costs:
      • 1-month Game Pass Ultimate = 12,000 points
      • 1-month Xbox Live Gold = 8,600 points
      • 1-month Game Pass for PC = 6,800 points
      • Xbox Gift Cards = varies by amount (~9,300 points per $10)
    • There are 169 titles currently on the Microsoft Play Anywhere list. If one buys a Play Anywhere game on either platform (purchase must be from the Microsoft or Xbox stores) he then owns it on both, Xbox & PC, and gameplay, including progress and saved data, is sync'd across both platforms. For some of these games online multiplayer cross-play between both platforms is enabled. These Play Anywhere integration perks apply to titles available on the Game Pass service. As of Dec-31-2020, 72 Play Anywhere titles are on Game Pass (31.3% of all PC titles on the service).
    • On 9-4-2020 Microsoft and EA jointly announced the EA Play service (listed in the post below) will be coming to Xbox Game Pass-- the Ultimate or PC plans-- for no added cost; Xbox console owners can already access this library, but deployment for PC gamers has been delayed to 2021
    • Microsoft Cloud Gaming, formerly known as Project xCloud, launched on Sep-14-2020, is bundled with Game Pass Ultimate at no additional cost, and enables the option of streaming any game on Game Pass to your Android device over WiFi or mobile networks (i.e. smartphones, tablets, and streaming TV boxes). Microsoft officially confirmed the service will be made available to iPhone/iPad users through their web browser in Spring 2021.You do not actually have to own an Xbox console to use the service.
    • Game Pass Ultimate is also the cornerstone of the Xbox All Access monthly payment service that bundles the service and the next-gen Xbox console of your choice at a monthly cost; >>>click here<<< to read more about how this program works
    • Redditor "ABattleVet" maintains a God-tier spreadsheet of every game that has ever been on the Game Pass service, which platform it is on (Xbox/PC), whether it is available via xCloud, whether it is actively available on the service, if it is leaving or arriving on the service soon, its release date & age, its Metacritic score, the average number of hours to complete the campaign, and its genre according to Giant Bomb. Games also have various color codings to indicate things like console exclusivity. Simply incredible if you learn how to use filters to sort columns. Don't miss that there are multiple sheets.
    • 245 titles in the PC Game Pass catalog, currently
    • 360 titles in the Xbox Game Pass catalog, currently
    • 508 titles in the Ultimate Game Pass catalog, currently

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luciusaugustus
Back