Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

That's what I want, there's like 4-8 big reputable, well known keyboard companies and instead Amazon has the following gems front and center:
YMDK, Arteck, Das, Macally, Fosmon, iClever, E-element, Azio, Nuklz, Perixx, JETech, Filco, Sungwoo, Kenesis, Goldtouch, SIIF, Adesso, Rocksoul, HUO Ji, E-SDS, DSI, Matias, iMBAPrice, HDE, Realforce, I-rocks, Fintie, iMicro, Cherry, Rii, Solidtek, Granvela,

fwiw, i recently picked up a ridiculous redragon keyboard (k580 vata). despite it's name/rep (you mentioned rinkydink), it's pretty ok.

doubt your mom's interested, though.

I know I'm one week late, but WinRAR is kind of dated, nowadays I use 7-zip:

- No shareware annoyance
- Faster than WinRAR (from slightly to much faster, depending on intended compression factor)
- Better compression ratio
- Open source

I think we're still sticking to WinRAR because mostly out of growing used to it.

That's what I want, there's like 4-8 big reputable, well known keyboard companies and instead Amazon has the following gems front and center:
YMDK, Arteck, Das, Macally, Fosmon, iClever, E-element, Azio, Nuklz, Perixx, JETech, Filco, Sungwoo, Kenesis, Goldtouch, SIIF, Adesso, Rocksoul, HUO Ji, E-SDS, DSI, Matias, iMBAPrice, HDE, Realforce, I-rocks, Fintie, iMicro, Cherry, Rii, Solidtek, Granvela,

source.gif

fwiw, i recently picked up a ridiculous redragon keyboard (k580 vata). despite it's name/rep (you mentioned rinkydink), it's pretty ok.

doubt your mom's interested, though.

From what I've seen, Redragon and Rii make the best reviewed budget oriented keyboards.

So I bought a tower PC like... 2 years ago (yes I said bought not built fight me about it) that came with this as a keyboard and mouse:
https://www.newegg.com/p/0GA-014P-0...eYsl1K9Ym5ZAPxrbey4aAv53EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm sure it's more than passable but if I wanted to upgrade slowly is SteelSeries a decent company? I don't know shit really about PC gaming I just see their stuff recommended a bunch but then I see the price and I wonder if it's a case of idiots just throwing money thinking that means it's better while not realizing they're buying a marketing strategy.

So I bought a tower PC like... 2 years ago (yes I said bought not built fight me about it) that came with this as a keyboard and mouse:
https://www.newegg.com/p/0GA-014P-0...eYsl1K9Ym5ZAPxrbey4aAv53EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm sure it's more than passable but if I wanted to upgrade slowly is SteelSeries a decent company? I don't know shit really about PC gaming I just see their stuff recommended a bunch but then I see the price and I wonder if it's a case of idiots just throwing money thinking that means it's better while not realizing they're buying a marketing strategy.
Yes, Steelseries is one of the acclaimed brands in peripherals for gaming.

Peripherals like this are user specific. Would suggest heading to your local supplier to try them out.
Sadly my only real option that I know of near where I live is Best Buy which means they'll have like 12 Razers to try and like 3 no-name random companies since they are a Razer retailer.

Sadly my only real option that I know of near where I live is Best Buy which means they'll have like 12 Razers to try and like 3 no-name random companies since they are a Razer retailer.

While you're at Best Buy checking out the mice, try a couple different keyboards. Keyboards have different types of switches that feel/sound different. That way when you decide to upgrade your keyboard, you'll already know what type of switch to get and then you'll just need to decide on what features/size you want.

While you're at Best Buy checking out the mice, try a couple different keyboards. Keyboards have different types of switches that feel/sound different. That way when you decide to upgrade your keyboard, you'll already know what type of switch to get and then you'll just need to decide on what features/size you want.
Thanks much

I know I'm one week late, but WinRAR is kind of dated, nowadays I use 7-zip:

- No shareware annoyance
- Faster than WinRAR (from slightly to much faster, depending on intended compression factor)
- Better compression ratio
- Open source

I think we're still sticking to WinRAR because mostly out of growing used to it.
iZArc is where its at

In terms of peripherals I tend to go with

Mouse - Razer
Keyboard - Logitec

I've had that combo for most of my adult life. Except for a brief dark period where I had a Razer Keyboard that definitely wasn't great.

Except for a brief dark period where I had a Razer Keyboard that definitely wasn't great.

2011 Blackwidow Ultimate keyboard i used for five(?) years was fantastic. To this day it still works flawlessly. Horror stories i heard surrounded mainly their mice and drivers.

2011 Blackwidow Ultimate keyboard i used for five(?) years was fantastic. To this day it still works flawlessly. Horror stories i heard surrounded mainly their mice and drivers.
If Razer would just spend $20 and fix/upgrade the Death Adder it could possibly be the best selling mouse of all time.

Spacebar went after a year and a half on my one, not sure what brand it was, and all the black rubberised coating rubbed off after about 6 months. I love Razer mice and have never had any issues with them, I have a Mamba from like 2009 still going strong. After being used as a gaming mouse and then my mouse at the office. It's a wifeless/corded hybrid. I've got a death adder at home and a lancehead wireless. I'd love to try one of the newer keyboards and see if they've improved but I can't justify $300aud on one when my Logi G910 works fine still.

Most see this as a response to the recent sale of the i5-9400F for $129.99, but I think this will be a pretty normal price point shortly once the rumored lower-end Ryzen 5 chips launch.

Latest 1.0.0.3ABBA BIOS Fix Might Improve AMD Ryzen 3rd Gen Boost Clock Issues
The BIOS update that AMD promised a week ago when Derb8auer flagged his survey results indicating a large number of Ryzen 3000 processors failed to ever hit the promised boost speeds has rolled out. You might see a performance boost, so I thought I'd flag this.

@Woldog

*Edit Update*
A leaked version of the BIOS was tested by Tom's Hardware. This isn't the official rollout, but results look more promising than I expected:

AMD's Ryzen 3000 Boost-Fixing BIOS Leaks Out, We Test With Ryzen 9 3900X and Ryzen 7 3700X
The single most important detail I learned from this article was one that didn't show up in Derb8uer's survey of fans who own Ryzen that reported their results, and that detail is this: these boost frequencies were chiefly an issue for owners who haven't properly cooled their CPUs. I can only surmise that this means most users showing up in his survey missing promised turbos are running the various stock Wraith coolers in cases that aren't particularly well ventilated:
We dug deep into the issue with tests that suggest AMD had altered the boost behavior of its processors after launch, leading to less aggressive boost behavior if the chip surpasses the 75C threshold.
Nevertheless, even for Tom's Hardware, who certainly aren't guilty of insufficient cooling, their 3700X was only hitting 4.375 GHz, not the specified 4.4 GHz, on the older BIOS. With the BIOS update they achieved 4.4 GHz across all cores.

However, the same pleasant result wasn't observed in the 3900X. This could be because the BIOS is still in its Beta, and the 3900X hasn't yet received its due attention, but more likely, I'd speculate, is that it's not realistic to expect 4.6 GHz across all 12 cores on all CPUs. AMD fudged the specs. You get the feeling they used the best binned CPU they ever created as a representative for the whole. This doesn't bode well, at all, for the 3950X which promises another +100MHz across 16 cores.

Cliffs: this is all yet more evidence that it doesn't make sense for gamers to spend more money beyond the R7-3700X with the Ryzen 3000 series.

Last edited:
Latest 1.0.0.3ABBA BIOS Fix Might Improve AMD Ryzen 3rd Gen Boost Clock Issues
The BIOS update that AMD promised a week ago when Derb8auer flagged his survey results indicating a large number of Ryzen 3000 processors failed to ever hit the promised boost speeds has rolled out. You might see a performance boost, so I thought I'd flag this.

@Woldog

If it's out already I'll check my board tonight to see if an update is out and get back to you. I can say my CPU has never hit the frequency it was supposed to on any core after the initial few days when it was going to insanely high voltages.

Back