Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

You can do better.
https://www.azeron.eu/
https://www.amazon.com/Azeron-Cyborg-Gaming-Keypad-Programmable/dp/B0CDQ9GCWS?th=1
5-Azeron-cyborg-compact-white_20220817.png

I've seen that before, but honestly had forgotten about it. I really only care about the joystick, though. If I'm unsure about paying $90 for the other one, I definitely wouldn't pay $220 that one lol.

I've seen that before, but honestly had forgotten about it. I really only care about the joystick, though. If I'm unsure about paying $90 for the other one, I definitely wouldn't pay $220 that one lol.
I'm surprised someone who is playing MMOs doesn't want 29 mappable hotkeys that are so easily executed without modifiers keys, without stretching one's hand, or managing cramped spaces with a reduced size mechanical keyboard (which would also be expensive). While I understand not wanting to spend that much on a gaming accessory, I wonder what that thing is bringing to the table to justify a $90 cost? It's half a controller. Should be $20-$30.

$10 cheaper:
Razer Tartarus V2

The second m.2 slot can run either protocol for those motherboards. It will either run as PCIe 3.0 at x2 speeds, or at SATA III if one requires this for whatever reason. You can see this in the table on p.45 of the User Manual for the Steel Legend, for example, or in the specification sheet:

Using that 2nd m.2 slot will disable the 5th and 6th SATA ports, though.

*Edit* I see you already had this, I embarrassingly misread your post to missing the Gen2 part. Just bear in mind that unless your SSD is rated to run faster than 2.0 MB/s you probably won't lose too much.

Ended up getting an ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 for $110.
It's a low end x570, but offers the PCIe lanes I wanted. I was shocked that even though it's a low end board, it doesn't have USB-C.

I'm surprised someone who is playing MMOs doesn't want 29 mappable hotkeys that are so easily executed without modifiers keys, without stretching one's hand, or managing cramped spaces with a reduced size mechanical keyboard (which would also be expensive).

Developers of MMO's started reducing abilities about a decade ago for it was getting out of hand. MMO Mice usage flourished then crashed because of this.

If youre in a progression Guild two communication channels exist. First has everyone in a VOIP channel where the Guild leaders talk. Second is typically chat based for class leaders to discuss finer details. So it becomes cumbersome to have a third input device on your desk when typing is still required.

You can do better.
https://www.azeron.eu/
https://www.amazon.com/Azeron-Cyborg-Gaming-Keypad-Programmable/dp/B0CDQ9GCWS?th=1
5-Azeron-cyborg-compact-white_20220817.png

ive never seen anything like that before. they should nave named it The Claw. this is something that i want to look into though. i usually prefer to use a controller for most of my games as my wrists start to flare up after longer periods of time when i'm using my mouse and keyboard to game with.

The Ryzen 3 4100 is $63 on Amazon, sold and shipped by Amazon. But it's a bad deal. The Ryzen 5 3600 can be found for $80 from other sellers on Amazon.
What caught me by surprise is that hyperthreaded 4 core cpu's are down to $63. 5 years ago, Intel was selling the hyperthreaded 4 core 7700k as their top chip, and had an msrp over $300.

I'm surprised someone who is playing MMOs doesn't want 29 mappable hotkeys that are so easily executed without modifiers keys, without stretching one's hand, or managing cramped spaces with a reduced size mechanical keyboard (which would also be expensive). While I understand not wanting to spend that much on a gaming accessory, I wonder what that thing is bringing to the table to justify a $90 cost? It's half a controller. Should be $20-$30.

$10 cheaper:
Razer Tartarus V2
I don't play MMO's anymore. If I was, I would definitely be more interested in all those buttons. I think in the end I would probably stick with the keyboard for MMO's, because strafing doesn't work as well with a joystick. I still use the MMO mouse because I grew to love having all the little buttons next to my thumb. I use them for my skills in single player games.

The Tartarus is something I've considered grabbing a few times. I think that's probably going to happen.

I totally agree about their price tag for half a controller being a bit ridiculous. That's why I mentioned the possibility of doing the same thing with a switch joycon instead.

Raspberry Pi5 announced

$60 for 4GB variant / $80 for 8GB

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/introducing-raspberry-pi-5/

• 2.4GHz quad-core 64-bit Arm Cortex-A76 CPU
  • VideoCore VII GPU, supporting OpenGL ES 3.1, Vulkan 1.2
  • Dual 4Kp60 HDMI® display output
  • 4Kp60 HEVC decoder
  • Dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi®
  • Bluetooth 5.0 / Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
  • High-speed microSD card interface with SDR104 mode support
  • 2 × USB 3.0 ports, supporting simultaneous 5Gbps operation
  • 2 × USB 2.0 ports
  • Gigabit Ethernet, with PoE+ support (requires separate PoE+ HAT, coming soon)
  • 2 × 4-lane MIPI camera/display transceivers
  • PCIe 2.0 x1 interface for fast peripherals
  • Raspberry Pi standard 40-pin GPIO header
  • Real-time clock
  • Power button

Raspberry Pi5 announced

$60 kind of defeats the purpose of the Raspberry Pi. The original was $35.
I feel the Pi foundation has steered off course. The original Pi was released to provide low cost computers to people around the world.
During the pandemic, the Pi foundation showed where it's allegiance lies, and it's not with the people. Almost their entire production run went to businesses.

Unless you need the GPIO or tiny form factor, you can pick up a i5-6500 SFF prebuilt for $50 shipped off ebay.

Developers of MMO's started reducing abilities about a decade ago for it was getting out of hand. MMO Mice usage flourished then crashed because of this.
I'm belated in replying, but LOL, where in the hell do you come up with these fanciful histories? For the most recent 24-hour period, the #13 (Redragon M908) and #14 (Utechsmart Venus Pro) were among the bestselling gaming mice on Amazon. The #23 (Corsair Scimitar), #25 (Razer Naga X), #26 (Logitech G600), and #30 (Redragon M913) are next down the list. Also, while not as specialized with the grid-style clutter of 9+ buttons on the side, the #3 (Logitech G502 Hero), #8 (Logitech G502 X Lightspeed), and #9 (Logitech G502 Lightspeed) are all built on the same hybrid shooter/MMO design that carries a whopping 12 total buttons. Add to that the #10 (Razer Basilisk V3) which has 11 buttons.

That's a full third of the Top 30 bestsellers: 10 out of 30. MMO mice were never more popular than this. It's par for the course going back to the late 2000's. They persist despite the greater overall decline in the popularity of MMOs and RTS games as subgenres themselves. MOBA and Battle Royale supplanted them as the most popular among online multiplayer PC gamers.

Last edited:
I'm belated in replying, but LOL, where in the hell do you come up with these fanciful histories?

Evolution of mice technology and genre popularity in the Pc gaming space. Modern scroll wheels have five programmable actions for gaming. So your criteria of what justifies a hybrid MMO/FPS mouse is quite low.

Those two MMO mice you posted from Amazon are Amazon Basic level mice. Sold to naive children, parents and grandparents with their 'Gamer' design.

Evolution of mice technology and genre popularity in the Pc gaming space. Modern scroll wheels have five programmable actions for gaming. So your criteria of what justifies a hybrid MMO/FPS mouse is quite low.
Clickable scroll wheels are only counted as a single button for those total button counts, so my criteria isn't terribly relaxed. 11-12 buttons is a lot of buttons. 20 is standard on the specialized MMO-style mice like the Razer Naga series. This standard count may include DPI or WiFi/Bluetooth changes, btw. The defining count for a purist FPS mouse would be that of the Logitech G Pro X Superlight: 5. Although most shooter mice usually have 6. Not that this matters. A full fifth of the top thirty bestsellers would still be MMO mice if we set the hybrids aside.
Those two MMO mice you posted from Amazon are Amazon Basic level mice. Sold to naive children, parents and grandparents with their 'Gamer' design.
The fact that Redragon and UTech are trash is aside from the point, isn't it? They're MMO-style designs high on the bestseller list. Usage is quite high, it didn't crash. I'm just always humored when you invent these Ken Burns documentaries about the history of gaming that you have pulled directly from your ass.

Raspberry Pi5 announced

Raspberry Pi 5 needs its own thread instead of being lumped in this one.

I saw one article suggest it's got the power to handle PS3. I just want to see how it does PSP without messing with the settings to skip frames and overclocking. N64 too.

I saw another article say the board has mounting holes for heatsink. I could have used mounting holes for fan for Pi 3.

Raspberry Pi 5 needs its own thread instead of being lumped in this one.

I saw one article suggest it's got the power to handle PS3. I just want to see how it does PSP without messing with the settings to skip frames and overclocking. N64 too.

I saw another article say the board has mounting holes for heatsink. I could have used mounting holes for fan for Pi 3.
Building a Raspberry Pi
What to do with a Raspberry Pi 4?

11-12 buttons is a lot of buttons

Eleven is the standard.

1. Left click
  2. Right click
  3. Page Forward
  4. Page Back
  5. Mouse wheel up
  6. Mouse wheel down
  7. Mouse wheel click
  8. Mouse wheel left lateral click
  9. Mouse wheel right lateral click
  10. DPI up
  11. DPI down

Mice targeted for lightweight users will not include the two DPI switch buttons and two lateral mouse wheel clicks.

Eleven is the standard.

1. Left click
  2. Right click
  3. Page Forward
  4. Page Back
  5. Mouse wheel up
  6. Mouse wheel down
  7. Mouse wheel click
  8. Mouse wheel left lateral click
  9. Mouse wheel right lateral click
  10. DPI up
  11. DPI down

Mice targeted for lightweight users will not include the two DPI switch buttons and two lateral mouse wheel clicks.
LOL, that is not how physical, actionable buttons are counted on mice. Buttons and programmable inputs are not interchangeable terms. No, 11 buttons is NOT standard. You can see this on Rtings table for mice where just 20 of 131 mice tested on the most recent methodology (or just 43 of all 308 tested historically) have 11+ buttons, and before you offer some dumb protest, know that even Razer counts their buttons exactly the same as Rtings, for example, if you look at the Basilisk I highlighted. Here, I'll spoon feed you:
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tools/table/120389

ive never seen anything like that before. they should nave named it The Claw. this is something that i want to look into though. i usually prefer to use a controller for most of my games as my wrists start to flare up after longer periods of time when i'm using my mouse and keyboard to game with.
I've been thinking about making myself one of these for a little while now https://www.instructables.com/Azeron-Game-Pad-DIY-Under-35/
They're pretty neat and not too hard to make if you have a 3d printer and a soldering iron.
Cool thing about printing your own is that it's pretty simple to make a part a bit shorter or longer to make it fit your hand perfectly, printed parts are fairly small so you can iterate pretty quickly

I've been thinking about making myself one of these for a little while now https://www.instructables.com/Azeron-Game-Pad-DIY-Under-35/
They're pretty neat and not too hard to make if you have a 3d printer and a soldering iron.
Cool thing about printing your own is that it's pretty simple to make a part a bit shorter or longer to make it fit your hand perfectly, printed parts are fairly small so you can iterate pretty quickly

im not sure if i would have the patience and mechanical expertise to be able to make those things myself. shit, ive never even used a 3d printer.

im not sure if i would have the patience and mechanical expertise to be able to make those things myself. shit, ive never even used a 3d printer.
it's a bit of an investment if you don't know you have a use for it tbh. either money wise to get one that just works out of the box, or time wise to figure out all the way something like a very cheap ender will fail on you.
If you're interested I can 100% recommend seeing if there's a maker space near you where you can play around with one, they're a lot of fun.

Back