Tech Gaming Hardware discussion (& Hardware Sales) thread

For desktop? Probably not. But give them like 3-4 years with the stolen IP they already have, and they'll be only slightly inferior. I shit you not. That's what happened with their homegrown Chinese ARM processors they put in the Huawei and Xiaomi phones.

It's both scary and maddening. Competent thieves.
Yeah it's pretty crazy. They also have a GPU, Linus did a video on it.

I'm waiting for someone to try the impossible idea of creating the ultimate customizable PC building company.

3D-printed custom PC cases designed by the users themselves.

It will never work, logistically, as a business model, but it's fun to think about. In reality, anyone nerdy enough to want to 3D-print their own case is going to undertake it themselves. More realistic is a business that allows paid access to 3D printers (similar to how there are already construction equipment rental companies). I wouldn't be surprised if that business already exists though I've never read about one.
As far as established companies, the closest to my knowledge is InWin's foldable cases. Those are pretty cool (younger me would have loved it).

I'm just hoping for a shakeup in the gaming desktop space at this point. The SI's are just too good unfortunately and big chassis redesigns are still a year or 2 out.

As for the 3d printing idea, I don't see any huge issues with it aside from cost and customers probably being idiots and designing terrible cases if given too much freedom.

For desktop? Probably not. But give them like 3-4 years with the stolen IP they already have, and they'll be only slightly inferior. I shit you not. That's what happened with their homegrown Chinese ARM processors they put in the Huawei and Xiaomi phones.

It's both scary and maddening. Competent thieves.

never gonna happen but it would be all the more hilarious if the chinese government got rid of all the amd and intel processors in their servers and desktops and replaced them with a bunch of cheap shit that you'd expect to find on TEMU. i dont see what could possibly go wrong.

I was browsing ebay and was surprised to see Ryzen 5 1400's have been selling for under $20.

Well fuck, if the 5000's are coming out this year I might as well wait a few months. Should I still opt for the 7800X3D? No bottleneck issues right?

Well fuck, if the 5000's are coming out this year I might as well wait a few months. Should I still opt for the 7800X3D? No bottleneck issues right?
By the time you get around to actually buying a CPU the 7800X3D will probably have been usurped. Techspot recently ran this feature:

Is Your Older Ryzen CPU Fast Enough for the RTX 4080?

While I like the principle of minding a "bottleneck", that's the whole point of this feature, after all, and its conclusion that one shouldn't really upgrade beyond an RTX 4070 or RX 7800 XT if he is still running a R5-5600 or lesser CPU, it really conveys why that has become such a problematic term in modern gaming, and that's without them stepping too deeply into older or specific titles that lean almost entirely on the first few threads, but are still incredibly demanding by modern standards on those threads.
At 1080p, the RTX 4070 was good for 155 fps and was limited even by the 7800X3D, making the 4070/7800X3D combo 65% faster than the 5600.
Because, depending on the game, resolution, and settings, even the 7800X3D can become the limiting component for fps output when paired with the RTX 4070. This would be true for an even lesser GPU under certain conditions, I'm sure.

The bottom line is that CPUs never really become irrelevant because they're always potentially a bottleneck. You get what you get. So you don't have to worry about that stuff too much.

By the time you get around to actually buying a CPU the 7800X3D will probably have been usurped. Techspot recently ran this feature:

While I like the principle of minding a "bottleneck", that's the whole point of this feature, after all, and its conclusion that one shouldn't really upgrade beyond an RTX 4070 or RX 7800 XT if he is still running a R5-5600 or lesser CPU, it really conveys why that has become such a problematic term in modern gaming, and that's without them stepping too deeply into older or specific titles that lean almost entirely on the first few threads, but are still incredibly demanding by modern standards on those threads.

Because, depending on the game, resolution, and settings, even the 7800X3D can become the limiting component for fps output when paired with the RTX 4070. This would be true for an even lesser GPU under certain conditions, I'm sure.

The bottom line is that CPUs never really become irrelevant because they're always potentially a bottleneck. You get what you get. So you don't have to worry about that stuff too much.
Outstanding analysis as always sherbro, thank you

EKWB in some deep shit

Haven't paid workers, suppliers in months, having trouble moving inventory.

CEO releases a statement

EKWB in some deep shit

Haven't paid workers, suppliers in months, having trouble moving inventory.

CEO releases a statement

I'm surprised they've lasted this long. I figured when those employees jumped ship to Corsair, they would have gone under in a couple of years.

Jayztwocents did a video as well.

I remember watching the video when that tea PC was first shown... how time flies.

I have gone back to not following what's been going on in gaming hardware and spending more time watching video's on gaming than playing games myself.

It's been 18 months or so since @Madmick designed a new gaming PC for me so I assume it's barely considered to be mid range by now LOL. Oh well, such is the way of gaming hardware.

Anything new happened recently in PC hardware? New generations of video cards or cpu's etc?

Last edited:
I remember watching the video when that tea PC was first shown... how time flies.

I have gone back to not following what's been going on in gaming hardware and spending more time watching video's on gaming than playing games myself.

It's been 18 months or so since @Madmick designed a new gaming PC for me so I assume it's barely considered to be mid range by now LOL. Oh well, such is the way of gaming hardware.

Anything new happened recently in PC hardware? New generations of video cards or cpu's etc?
Not really, other than Windows on Arm from qualcomm arrives in a couple of months, but gaming isn't on their short term roadmap. Everything I've heard from OEMs and Qualcomm sounds good for performance, but the pricing estimates are going to be a tough pill to swallow for a lot of folks unfortunately.

Oh amd everyone is going to hate what Microsoft is doing to Windows 12 or whatever this year's upsate gets called.

You're still nearly top-of-the-line on an absolute scale. Only the -3D variants of the 7950X & 7800X were released. Other than that, RAM has gotten a bit faster, and the latest Gen5 SSD have progressed. Nothing substantial has changed since you built.

Because, depending on the game, resolution, and settings, even the 7800X3D can become the limiting component for fps output when paired with the RTX 4070. This would be true for an ev

en lesser GPU under certain conditions, I'm sure.

These issues are so overplayed because hardly anyone is playing at 1080 with a $1000+ gpu. There are a few games that are CPU heavy but more often than not, if you bump up the resolution, the CPU no longer becomes the slow link with getting bogged up with way too many frames.

These issues are so overplayed because hardly anyone is playing at 1080 with a $1000+ gpu.

In the world of competitive based FPS games 1080p or 4:3 stretched is the most common resolution used with such hardware.

You're still nearly top-of-the-line on an absolute scale. Only the -3D variants of the 7950X & 7800X were released. Other than that, RAM has gotten a bit faster, and the latest Gen5 SSD have progressed. Nothing substantial has changed since you built.
A year and a half later. I'm surprised. Glad to hear it's still in a pretty good place.

Thanks.

Not really, other than Windows on Arm from qualcomm arrives in a couple of months, but gaming isn't on their short term roadmap. Everything I've heard from OEMs and Qualcomm sounds good for performance, but the pricing estimates are going to be a tough pill to swallow for a lot of folks unfortunately.

Oh amd everyone is going to hate what Microsoft is doing to Windows 12 or whatever this year's upsate gets called.

Windows 12? I haven't even updated to windows 11 yet...